UMass vs Brown (Please help <3)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wednesdaysg

Reaction score
Since people are so quick to give advice, I thought maybe I could post about my conundrum. Please let me know your thoughts about each school, I would really appreciate the help ❤️

UMass
Pros
  • Very close to family and friends
  • WIN weeks - love how the curriculum is structured from the looks of it
  • I know a professor who does the exact research I want to pursue
  • Grant from FA almost covers tuition

Cons
  • Not an ivy (does this matter a lot?)
  • Not in Providence

Brown
Pros
  • LOVED Providence when visited
  • Ivy
  • The people, it’s something about the people there
  • I don’t know this school as well as I do UMass, so although there is a Center for Alcohol and Addiction studies at Brown University - I am not sure how it works if any med students want to be involved in the research there. So although I don’t know any professors there personally - the research still exists.

Cons?
  • Although the aid was generous, I calculated I’d have about 50k more in loans over the four years
  • 1 hour away from family and friends
  • No WIN weeks

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are more excited about the research and curriculum at Umass, but I'm sure you will be successful at either school. If the main pro is you like Providence over Worcester, they are close enough that you could always visit. Same for visiting friends and family, if you have a car I feel like an hour drive isn't horrible, although not super convenient if you end up at Brown. To me, if Umass is the cheaper option and has research that you are excited about, it sounds like you are leaning towards Umass. Both are great schools so I don't think you could go wrong at either - congrats on acceptances!

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users
I'd go with brown. The cost differential is not that big.

@spicegurl you should mention that you are WL at Brown 2023-2024 Brown (Alpert) and have been on other posts convincing people to not choose brown

Seriously, admissions makes people do weird things. Do not trust people also applying the same year.

• Wow
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But to answer your question, I'd go with Brown because it is a bigger name, a much better area, and although it's "rankings" aren't that high, it still matches very well and still gets the ivy reputation bump. That's why it gets people to be so desperate as to write self serving posts to try to get off the WL.

Both are great schools. There is no wrong choice here.

Disclaimer: I did not interview at either school.

Honestly, this is one of the best cases of "you'd be happy at either school." With UMass, you get to be close to your support and it seems like you'd vibe academically with the prof you mentioned. Are WIN weeks that much of a big deal to you? If so, I would still consider that in your decision and what you think that time would give you (a break, chance to travel, a visit to friends/fam?).

But again, one thing you mentioned about Brown was its people and Providence. If it sounds like you loved these two aspects of Brown, I would absolutely consider that in your decision because your immediate environment and who you're with will make the difference in your happiness on the day-to-day. Also, if you're thinking about matching into a competitive specialty Brown does help more with that due to its (slightly) higher rank and research emphasis which translates to a match list that reflects that. So if you're interested in exploring many specialties/really feel like you'd thrive in Providence and enjoy the people, I do think the 50k difference is justified. Also, your friends and family are still pretty close to you here, but maybe the hour drive might hinder your ability to see them as often as you would like.

But if you're sure you want to do primary care, you really can't go wrong with either school and might as well end up saving 50k (before interest lol) and have a good time near friends and fam at UMass. You could also match competitively to your preferred residencies from UMass since it is a solid and respected school but I do think it would be a tad bit harder though (small difference for sure).

Keep us posted where you decide to go!

Reactions: 1 user
edit: you're already in Worcester and with all the other reasons, its a no brainer to stay and go there!!

Also did not interview at either! I think UMass may be a better choice here. Its prestige is actually very great in the medical community and is definitely one of the top state schools in the country - it's so competitive especially because of the MA resident pool of people in the likes of the Harvard camp, and they often elect to go here for the better tuition & essentially similar education quality. Its research has is also extremely highly regarded and you would get better opportunities for that than Brown. So it really doesn't matter its not an 'ivy' - Brown is known to not be highly ranked in the med school world & UMass definitely is more known to produce great physicians and scientists, so this point is kinda irrelevant.

I agree Providence is really ideal though and better than Worcester, but it seems theres a great community and vibe at UMass that you'd be fine living there especially since your support system is already there.

Really make this decision based off where you'd be the most successful med student. Congrats and good luck deciding!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Some context and maybe I am giving out too much info: I already live in Worcester with my SO and cat and don’t want to move them lollll

Also for now - I want to do psych but not sure if that will change as it does for most people in med school

My vote is for UMass. You are already settled in Worcester, it is cheaper and I truly believe it is on the same level as brown if not better in medicine

• Love
Reactions: 1 users