Interview suit TOO expensive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MSTPhopeful

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm in the process of filling out applications to MSTP programs, mostly in CA and NY. If I had gone out and bought a suit myself, I would have spent about 200 bucks, but I have a generous aunt who just took me shopping and got me a very expensive italian suit.
my question is two fold: I don't know much about suits (before this suit my one and only suit cost about 150), are the people who interview me going to be able to tell what kind of suit I'm wearing? and if they can, are they going to hold it against me that I claim to come from a low-income background (which I do) and yet wear a fine italian suit.

any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

MSTPhopeful said:
Hello. I'm in the process of filling out applications to MSTP programs, mostly in CA and NY. If I had gone out and bought a suit myself, I would have spent about 200 bucks, but I have a generous aunt who just took me shopping and got me a very expensive italian suit.
my question is two fold: I don't know much about suits (before this suit my one and only suit cost about 150), are the people who interview me going to be able to tell what kind of suit I'm wearing? and if they can, are they going to hold it against me that I claim to come from a low-income background (which I do) and yet wear a fine italian suit.

any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

Most faculty dress in Land's End castoffs on their best days, so they probably will not be able to tell a good suit from a cheap suit. Just make sure you do not wear the $800 Prada loafers. ;)

as maebea said, most people do not have a discerning eye for tailoring or fabric quality, and in a sea of similar looking suits and style, no one will be the wiser.