Interview timing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Helpful Aye Aye

I'm not so grump
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

When do you guys think the best time to schedule an interview is, if the school is your top choice?

I don't want to do more than 2 per month (I'm in an SMP), but I'm worried that a November date is *somewhat* late.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

November is an early interview. February is late. So far as I know, med schools tend to interview stronger candidates earlier in Sept-Nov and weaker candidates later in Dec-Feb/March. If you have an earlier date, I'd take that. If you interview early and end up on a wait list, you have more time to get off said wait list.

November is an early interview. February is late. So far as I know, med schools tend to interview stronger candidates earlier in Sept-Nov and weaker candidates later in Dec-Feb/March. If you have an earlier date, I'd take that. If you interview early and end up on a wait list, you have more time to get off said wait list.
Not always! Sometimes it's just because you applied later than you should have. ( Like me!)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings fellow penguin. :)

Not always! Sometimes it's just because you applied later than you should have. ( Like me!)

That happened to one of my friends last cycle. She applied in September and all her interviews were in February, even though she was a fairly strong candidate with a compelling back-story (but she was also an ORM). I've heard generally speaking, though, that an early interview invite is a good sign, and that it's easier to get off a wait list if you have an early interview.

November can be late depending on the school. Some schools stop interviewing in Dec/Jan, so November is near the end of the cycle for those schools. Maybe use the School-Specific Discussions forum to see the timeline of some of your schools.

Reactions: 1 user