Interview Tomorrow: HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qui1027

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I didn''t realize my interviews tomorrow were both closed-file. My MCAT scores are kind of low..should i bring it up to the interviewer? the last few interviewers asked what happened because my grades were great but my score was kind of low...=P Also, when they ask you do you have anything that you would like for me to mention to the admisions committee, what do you say? I believ e i amready for medical school and would love to go here?? Ordo you try to say something unique about your experiences that will match the school's mission and prgoram? THANKS A LOT!

Members don't see this ad.

qui1027 said:
Hey everyone! I didn''t realize my interviews tomorrow were both closed-file. My MCAT scores are kind of low..should i bring it up to the interviewer? the last few interviewers asked what happened because my grades were great but my score was kind of low...=P Also, when they ask you do you have anything that you would like for me to mention to the admisions committee, what do you say? I believ e i amready for medical school and would love to go here?? Ordo you try to say something unique about your experiences that will match the school's mission and prgoram? THANKS A LOT!

Never bring up anything that will make you look any less qualified than other interviewees. If the MCAT score is low, don't mention it. Also, for your last concern, make a statement about yourself, your work or life history that will make you a standout in his/her mind.

Remember, they know you are interested in the school (otherwise why waste the time and money to go and interview there).

Good Luck, tell us how it went!! oh, and what school are you interviewing at?

BerkeleyMD said:
Never bring up anything that will make you look any less qualified than other interviewees. If the MCAT score is low, don't mention it. Also, for your last concern, make a statement about yourself, your work or life history that will make you a standout in his/her mind.

Remember, they know you are interested in the school (otherwise why waste the time and money to go and interview there).

Good Luck, tell us how it went!! oh, and what school are you interviewing at?

exactly, if they dont ask, dont tell...and if they do, try and spin it into something positive....good luck, youll do fine!

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't had any closed file interviews, but I would think that if the interviewers are going to read your file in the end and you have a good explanation for the low MCAT scores, you might want to take this opportunity to explain. It might be your only chance. However, it is a little risky b/c they might rate you or something after the interview, and any negative like a bad MCAT could worsen this rating.

I sorta disagree with the posters that say don't ask don't tell. When the committee meets, if the only person in the room to defend you feels blindsided, s/he may not advocate strongly for you.

If you are in the range of average for the school, I would say nothing. If you are truly low and have a reason - I would definitely mention it so that your interviewer can explain it to the committee. Always do this with a positive spin of course, eg "My MCAT scores were slightly lower than average because I was taking 22 units during the semester that I took the test, but I believe that I have demonstrated my academic abilities with my 3.9 GPA."

Flopotomist said:
I sorta disagree with the posters that say don't ask don't tell. When the committee meets, if the only person in the room to defend you feels blindsided, s/he may not advocate strongly for you.

If you are in the range of average for the school, I would say nothing. If you are truly low and have a reason - I would definitely mention it so that your interviewer can explain it to the committee. Always do this with a positive spin of course, eg "My MCAT scores were slightly lower than average because I was taking 22 units during the semester that I took the test, but I believe that I have demonstrated my academic abilities with my 3.9 GPA."

i stand corrected...heres a quote from gdbaby in another thread.

"I have only had closed file interviews so far. But I brought up my low MCAT score in my interview, becaue I didn't want them to be shocked after our great interview to see that damn score--especially since I was out of state. My Kaplan Admissions consultant suggested I do this and I don't know if it was particularly helpful, but I did get in!"

gintien said:
i stand corrected...heres a quote from gdbaby in another thread.

"I have only had closed file interviews so far. But I brought up my low MCAT score in my interview, becaue I didn't want them to be shocked after our great interview to see that damn score--especially since I was out of state. My Kaplan Admissions consultant suggested I do this and I don't know if it was particularly helpful, but I did get in!"
I brought up mine (28) too at my interview, and I got in.

Flopotomist said:

hay flop, are u set on loyola or are you going to wait to see if you get in anywhere else?

gintien said:
hay flop, are u set on loyola or are you going to wait to see if you get in anywhere else?
I really loved the school - only a UC would lure me away probably.

Flopotomist said:
I really loved the school - only a UC would lure me away probably.

u have interviews at UCs? im so jealous. and sad at the same time :(

jtank said:
u have interviews at UCs? im so jealous. and sad at the same time :(
NO... I not only have no interviews, I only have a secondary from one of the UCs.. since it has been months with no word, I am not expecting to get into a UC, hence I am currently planning on going to Loyola.

Flopotomist said:

how did you go about this? i have a 29 (8,10,11) and i don't want that PS 8 to kill me...i am working real hard to get an interview at loyola (visitng campus w/ current student, etc) and hope to someday soon have the opportunity to be in the situation where i have to explain this. if you don't mind sharing, it would be greatly appreciated!
:)

If they don't ask.... don't tell. Most closed file interviewers will never see your file. They are asked to judge you based on other qualifications. This person will present qualities to you to the adcom based on factors other than your gpa and MCAT. I have a lower MCAT score than what SDN'ers are posting. I didn't mention it and still got in the school and have even been offered a scholarship based on my interviewers comments. However in an open file interview be prepared to answer why you have certain scores.

Ashanti Rock said:
If they don't ask.... don't tell. Most closed file interviewers will never see your file. They are asked to judge you based on other qualifications. This person will present qualities to you to the adcom based on factors other than your gpa and MCAT. I have a lower MCAT score than what SDN'ers are posting. I didn't mention it and still got in the school and have even been offered a scholarship based on my interviewers comments. However in an open file interview be prepared to answer why you have certain scores.
In my closed file interview yesterday they asked me specifically if there was anything that they would be shocked when they read my file that I would like to explain.