Interview too short?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve luckily had multiple interviews so far, but my latest one seemed really short ~30 mins each. I guess this school scheduled it that way but my first interviewer didn’t seem too thrilled to interview me (interviewer sat in chair and didn’t come get me unlike all the other interviewers who showed the pre-meds around)... I felt like I barely talked about other aspects of my app and it was already over. Generally didn’t get a great vibe from this particular interviewer but he could be playing bad cop? He didn’t smile and barely blinked throughout the convo lol.
2nd guy was a lot more amicable/sociable though.

Shorter interviews are not necessarily indicative of bad interviews right? I felt like both were conversational but a bit shorter than all my previous interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

I had the same experience at one of the schools I’ve interviewed at, although this school is apparently notorious for doing the whole good cop/bad cop routine. Your interviewer actually sounds very similar to the one I had in terms of interview length and the overall feel of the interview. In any case, it’s hard and fruitless to predict how well you actually perform during interviews, and I don’t think interview length is a strong indicator of performance.

Reactions: 1 user
Two 30 minute interviews?

Sounds pretty typical to me.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't focus too much on it. There is often a "poor interviewer" at a site and/or sometimes you may not click with someone. The important thing is to review what happened, see if there was an modifiable action you could have done, and then move on. 30 minutes sounds typical. Time for the next one!

I’ve luckily had multiple interviews so far, but my latest one seemed really short ~30 mins each. I guess this school scheduled it that way but my first interviewer didn’t seem too thrilled to interview me (interviewer sat in chair and didn’t come get me unlike all the other interviewers who showed the pre-meds around)... I felt like I barely talked about other aspects of my app and it was already over. Generally didn’t get a great vibe from this particular interviewer but he could be playing bad cop? He didn’t smile and barely blinked throughout the convo lol.

Shorter interviews are not necessarily indicative of bad interviews right? I felt like both were conversational but a bit shorter than all my previous interviews.
It seems to be a pre-med delusion that interviewers play good cop/bad cop. We don't.
The Interviewer may have simply been in a bad mood.

To add onto the list of interview worries, what about butchering the names of the interviewers? I've had some very multisyllabic names that I have had difficult times pronouncing, worried that I might offend.

Sounds fine to me. Having been on the other side as the student interviewer I have had interviews run to 45 min and others around 30 min. I wouldn't say that the length of the interview had any correlation on how I rated the applicant. Sometimes an interview just moves faster than others.

Also, when I was going through the application process a few years back I was accepted to a school I thought I had a terrible interview at/didn't get a good vibe from and then wait listed at a school that I thought I was guaranteed a spot at given the vibes I got during the interview. Your perceptions of a good or terrible interview may be entirely false.

@DV-T That's probably individual dependent but I would guess that this isn't going to be much of a problem for most interviewers. I certainly wouldn't care.

Reactions: 1 user

One school had all of our interviews scheduled at 20 minutes each. Another, 30 minutes each.

It’s extremely typical.

Okay, thank you for all the responses!

But man was it awkward as heck to keep smiling at the annoyed/angry looking interviewer. Brings back good ok’ memories of my past customer service job haha

To illustrate: interviewer :meh:
Me: :angelic:
Inner me: o_O:confused:

Good luck everyone on the rest of your interviews!

Reactions: 1 users
To illustrate: interviewer :meh:
Me: :angelic:
Inner me: o_O:confused:

This is *exactly* how I felt with one of my MMI interviewers. Felt like he was looking at me like I was the stupidest person he'd come across that day. It was not a good interview, but it made me a major fan of the MMI process. I can't help but think how terrible the experience would have been if he'd be one of only two interviewers, or worse, if he alone had interviewed me. :eek:

Reactions: 1 users