interview trail 2013-14

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axm397

SDN Moderator
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Time to get this years thread started....

Links to prior years interview feedback/ program reviews:

2011-12: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=865002

2010-11:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=771765

2009-10:http://more.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=662186

2008-9:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=563591

2007-8:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=387065

2006-7:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=332086

2005-6: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=225835

2004 and before:http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=161782

Please post your experience on your residency interviews. PLEASE AVOID THREADJACKING AND OFF-TOPIC POSTS. THIS THREAD WILL BE ARCHIVED FOR USE IN FUTURE YEARS.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, the previous threads really helped me out before interviewing at some of the less known programs, so I'll just update in some places where I found previous year threads were lacking. As with all posts on SDN, take it all with a grain of salt,....

Long Island Jewish Hospital

Dr. Shatzer, PD and Dr. Stein head of PMR lead off the day discussing the program. They were very affable and easy to talk to and they did a great job of setting the tone for the day. Informal but very informative in their selling of the program. The entire day was held at an office building where the residents have their didactics. I thought this was strange because they spoke so highly of some of their sites...but then didn't show the interviewees. There was an optional trip to one of their rehab floors which interviewees were encouraged to do on their own, but it was about 30-40 minute drive further into Long Island and I couldn't make the trip. After breakfast and the intro powerpoint, the residents came in and it was time for didactic while half the group interviewed, one with an attending of the program, and the other with either Dr. Shatzer or Dr. Stein. After the interviews we sat in on the rest of didactic and after lunch, the day was finished. Here's some Pros and Cons I picked up:

Pros

· Stable healthcare system that is well-run financially. The largest in New York. PGY2 make $67,500.

· Taking over many smaller hospitals and sites along LI, provides a variety of opportunities for different rehab experiences (pulm rehab, cancer rehab, peds etc.)

· 100% residents place in fellowships this past year.

· New Medical school gives opportunity for teaching. Med school is one of few that requires PMR rotation to their third years

· Second highest resident salary in country

· Small program, about 4 per class, close interaction with attendings

· Excited PD and PMR director. Very engaging.

Cons

· Didn’t show interviewees the rehab floor. Explained the the floor/bed was being moved between sites. This felt a little strange.

· Whole day was at outpatient office, gave a weird vibe not being at any hospital sites

· One major interviewer had clearly not even looked at my application. Only wanted to talk about how financially sound the healthcare system was. Came off a little arrogant and not interested in his interviews. Also could not answer majority of my questions about the program as he deferred me to the PD.

· I spoke with one chief resident about fellowships and he was very honest with me, saying if I was looking for competitive fellowships (which I am) that this is not the ideal residency for me. I really appreciated his honesty but it shows that while it's possible to get good placements after residency, it required a lot more than it would having gone to a residency with its own fellowship.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm surprised with the lack of activity in this thread. It's been very useful in years past.

Members don't see this ad :)
How are interviews going for everyone so far? I've been curious as to what people are thinking. Programs seem pretty similar. Previous SDN threads have been quite helpful. I've been to Colorado, Columbia-Cornell, Jefferson, MedstarNRH, Temple, UPenn, UVA (in alphabetical order) so far and would be happy to post opinions if people are up to it as well.
PS - what does the "super 6" mean?

The top 5 (in years past) has referred to RIC, Mayo, Baylor, Kessler, and Spaulding. If I had to toss in a 6th, Id say UW or Columbia/Cornell (sort of guessing there).

Historically, the "super 6" referred to RIC, Kessler, UW, Spaulding, Mayo, and Baylor. I don't know if it's changed more recently.

Colorado:

Excellent program all-around. Takes 4 residents/year. Advanced (really wish there was a categorical options).

One of the best call schedules anywhere.
Home call. You rarely need to come in. You round on weekends only during those call weeks. Otherwise your weekends are free.
PGY-2 - 6 weeks.
PGY-3 - 5 or 4 weeks, I'm not sure which. I've heard both from different people.
PGY-4 - Either 3 weeks or no call. Again, I've heard conflicting info on this.

Tons of opportunities for research. 2 requirements: 1 quality improvement project and 1 hypothesis-based project.
There are much more opportunities than there are residents to fill them.

Tons of hands-on experience with fluoro and US procedures. Neurology doesn't want to do EMGs, so you get a lot of procedures there as well.

Rotations are in 3-month block. So not much (if any electives).

Attendings are all very friendly and love to teach. Residents are all people you'd love to hang out and work with. Exceptional collegiality. People are able to land great fellowships.

Didactics Wednesdays 3-7 PM. Combination of teaching anatomy, ultrasound, etc..., Modules (chronic pain, spinal cord injury, etc), and Grand Rounds.

Last but not least: Denver is an awesome city. Lots of sunshine. Great cost of living, lots of things to do.

Rotations are in a 3-month block. There is a VA (for those who care) and they're building a new facility. University facilities are gorgeous. This is a place you're happy to come to every morning. On inpatient blocks you get 8 to 12 patients, depending on the site.

There is moonlighting. Disability exams. Not sure how much it pays, but one of the hardest-working residents is able to make $1500 sometimes when working 10 hrs... that's far above the norm, though, it seems. Maybe others will post more accurate figures.

Overall: This was one of my favorite experiences on the interview trail so far. Now, there were 7 interviews! But there were each 20-min long. Very stress-less and non confrontational. Tons of hands-on experience. Great People. Great City. Great opportunities post graduation. I would return here in a heartbeat.

Last edited:
I would love to know more about Columbia-Cornell and UVA. If you interviewed there, please post something.

Whoa. This thread is super lame this year. What is going on? Plus nobody has started a rank list thread yet. Come on people. Lets help each other out.

Unversity of California Irvine

Interview at UCI in Orange
Program director Dr. Hata is new since 2 years ago and changed the program a lot for the better . Now have 10 year accreditation.
Seems to get along well with all residents and be open to ideas for change.

Program
Good outpatient/MSK exposure with a lot of injections and even epidurals/facets/mbb/si
Ultrasound teaching and use during clinics by all residents
Dr. Kim at UCI does SCI and is strong teacher and very friendly
Burn rehab at UCI
Peds rehab at LB memorial
TBI/CVA at LB memorial
Outpatient at LBVA
>200 hands-on EMGs easily
Didactics - every Tuesday based on board review book - plenty of guest speakers
Research is required, resulting in at least 1 poster or publication during residency, but they have lots of research opporuntunities including in SCI, TBI, CVA, stem cells
Have a fixed research rotation your PGY-2 year
1 month elective anywhere you want (even outside of UCI)
Locations are in LB memorial, LB VA, UCI - requiring a car but most residents live in long beach area and drive 10-15 min to work at most
Voluneer at HB half marathon, honolulu half marathon, special olympics, high school physicials, and a variety of activites
Cadaver lab annually

Call Schedule
Home call
PGY-2 year is every 5th week at UCI for 1 week. Go in sat/sun to round.
PGY-3/4 year is every 10th at LB memorial week for 1 week. GO in sat to round.

Residents
5 per year and seem very happy and friendly
Variety of single and married with kids
many hang out outside of work doing running races/triathlons, or just going out for fun
Diverse from all over the country, from local california people to maryland/DC

Fellowships
ACGME accredited in pain and SCI

Located in southern california with mountains 1 hour away, beach 10 min away, Disneyland, etc.
Amazing warm weather
need a car for commuting

Hey everyone,

Long-time lurker, first-time poster here. I've finished with my interviews and am looking to make a few more minor distinctions between programs now that rank lists are open. Let me preface by saying I am interested in inpatient rehab, likely neurorehab like SCI/TBI/burns/stroke, so I disregarded the more outpt-heavy places that I interviewed. I also loathe arctic weather, so I didn't even consider Mayo or Spaulding (kudos to those of you who can bundle up better than this southerner).

Places that will be in my top five, in alphabetical order:

Emory
RIC
Sinai NYC
UT-BCM
UW

I like that Emory, RIC, and UT-BCM have huge inpatient hospitals. I also like that UW is model systems for all three, since only it and Harvard share that designation. However, I haven't really heard much about Emory on this forum. Did anyone else interview there? Thoughts?

And those of you planning on inpatient careers: which programs impressed you?

I interviewed pretty broadly and took lots of notes, so I'd be happy to discuss other programs if someone is interested. Thanks in advance!

If you don't mind please do discuss the other programs you interviewed at! This forum is invaluable to current third year students.

Sure, I can do some quick notes about other places. In no particular order:

Temple: more brain injury-focused program; Moss is obviously a well-known name in rehab. Jeff & Penn residents come here for amputee and EMG training. Friendly residents, with a chill social at a pub the night before. We attended grand rounds on the morning of the interview, and you'll get a tour of Philly driving between campuses. In-house call during PGY2&3 years, no call PGY4 year. the 3s and 4s go to AAPMR. You can get your phD here through Temple with 3 y research post-grad if you'd like. Focus on gait lab and motor lab- they have ReWalk here for research purposes. Everything is on the EMR except for progress notes, which is supposedly coming in the near future. Temple isn't in the best part of town, and that's one of the things that made me feel iffy--Philly can be pretty hood, haha.

Pitt: Fellowships in TBI, peds, SCI available. 5 categorical, 5 advanced spots. Work at Montefleur (20 beds), UPCM Presby for consults, UPMC Mercy for inpt SCI, stroke, TBI (76 beds). Burn service at Mercy. Anatomy course with cadavers offered. 93% board pass rate, home call. Paid travel to Cleveland for P&O course. SO MUCH RESEARCH FUNDING AT THIS PLACE! Seriously, Pitt is an 11 billion dollar company. They consolidated their program with another hospital (Mercy) around 2008. Big program, big name. Pittsburgh is a city of bridges, so traffic sucks almost all the time. Just a heads up.

Ohio State: a dark horse for me, tbh. Pretty cool program at Dodd hall, which is the 60 bed rehab hospital on the campus of OSU. Model systems for TBI and they participate in the Neurorecovery Network (they're one of seven in the country). PGY3 course on P&O, research requirement, distance learning available for weekly lectures if you're at a site that isn't near the OSU medical center. 6 residents per year, with 2 categorical. Dr. Ernie Johnson works(ed) here, so you'll get an autographed 8x10 of him in your interview file, as well as a guide of how to pronounce "physiatrist" (hot tip: it's not supposed to rhyme with psychiatrist). They have the busiest spine center in the country - interdisciplinary with ortho, neuro, and anesthesia. Goal for the future is to create a cancer rehab center and make it model systems. All home call; moonlighting is allowed. Parking is not free but you get compensated for gas money when traveling, plus $500/year meal allowance. PM&R books are given to the residents each year.

JFK Johnson - Edison, NJ: Really strong TBI program. The Medical Director of the hospital has CP, so he's a living testament to rehab. Dr. Cuccurullo, the PD, is also the author of the oft-used board review book. As a result, the board pass rates here are exceptional (like 100% over the past 5 years). They take 4 residents/year, so it's a smaller program. Home call, and the rehab hospital is connected to the main acute care hospital, so there is 24h onsite rapid response teams at the ready. There is no OSCE with actors, just OTJ training of real-life observation. Also offers a coding and billing course with Medicare modules, trach workshop, oral mock boards, injection workshop, and acupuncture as an elective. There is a research requirement. 3 months of electives during PGY4 year.

Penn: Oldest PM&R program in the US - founded in 1947. By far the largest interview day--there were around 20 interviewees, with a fun social with bowling the night before to get to know everyone. They have 18 residents in the program total plus 4 interns. Operate at HUP (24 rehab beds), Rittenhouse (58 bed+28 bed LTACH) Presby, The VA, and CHOP, so if pedi PMR is your thing, check them out. Robotics and biomechanics labs are new, plus a gait lab -- all for research though, not patient care. The furthest rotation is in Allentown, which is about 50 miles away, so housing is provided for that month. The chair of the program is the past president of ANEM, so they get good training on that. Residents get free copies of Braddom and Cuccurullo. Unlike many programs, no cadaver-based anatomy course. In house call, 3 mos as PGY2, 1-2 as PGY3, 1 mo as PGY4. Parking free, bus pass free.

Columbia-Cornell: Largest teaching hospital in the US, but the distance between campuses is fairly considerable. 16 beds inpt at NYP-CUMC; 22 beds at the NYP-WC campus. Six separate interviews that day, which got exhausting. Big focus on outpatient and MSK; I didn't get much of an inpatient vibe here... lots of placements into sports/msk and pain for fellowships. Work at MSK cancer center for consults, palliative, and pain, Burke Rehab for SCI and TBI units, Blythedale Children's Hospital for pedi. Research available in stem cell and stroke. No research requirement, no electives.

Sinai NYC: Gorgeous program on the Upper East Side of Manhattan. As a result, housing is subsidized. You get to see housing options on the tour... studios start around 1700/month. 94% board pass rate over 5 years. Conferences are funded. Anatomy course with cadavers offered over the summer to learn US guided injections. Operate at Sinai (50 beds), Elmhurst (18 beds, lots of outpatient, most ethnically diverse hospital in US), Bronx VA (Has a ReWalk). Call: no call at the VA, 1/week inpatient at Elmhurst & Sinai. Rotations are in blocks of7-8 weeks. This place is CARF accredited for practically everything; I couldn't write them all down. Really cool opportunities here: They just got a gig to be the sports physicians for the US Open this year, which is pretty ballin. Acupuncture certification is an offered elective. You can work for ABC news as physican consultant/correspondent for a month. 4 months of electives, as well as the opportunity to volunteer internationally. Weekly TBI conferences and journal club on the BI service. P&O training split between Sinai and Elmhurst. Free parking at the VA, with subsidized parking elsewhere and shuttles running between the three sites. SCI fellowship offered here.

Kessler - West Orange, NJ: Model systems for SCI, TBI, plus SCI fellowship. University hospital is the main teaching hospital for NJMS. 3 Kesslers exist, and 2 have residents at them. Inpatient stroke, TBI, amputee, SCI rehab offered, and they take really sick patients (vents etc). East Orange and Lyons Va plus Children's Specialized Hospital which has 135 beds with 5 pedi physiatrists -- way cool. Moonlighting is allowed at Children's. They have the largest housestaff union in the country, which means vacay is awesome: 4 weeks plus your birthday off plus 9 holidays off per year. Cadaver anatomy course is offered. They have 8 Elkins award winners (highest score on PMR boards). Paper charts, in house call 1x/week.

Emory: Model systems SCI. Fellowships in I-pain, pedi, sports. 6 residents/class. Operate at CRM, Shepherd Center (super swanky rehab hospital with about 150 beds), VA, Emory Sports/Spine Center, Grady hospital, CHOA (freestanding pedi rehab). Call split between in house and home depending on site, with no call and no weekends as a PGY4. Chair is former Harvard chair; building a new rehab hospital to replace current Emory Center for Rehab Medicine (40 beds), will have 72 beds and open in mid-2016. EMR, free parking, free food. 7 rotation sites total, about 7 miles apart throughout Atlanta. Cadaver anatomy program, lots of research opportunities, 90% board pass rate, 100% employment rate post-graduation, and 30-50% of grads go to fellowships. Free PMR books, 15 d vacay/year, seniors go to AAPMR. Traffic is pretty bad in Atlanta, on par with LA.

I have been asked to post on behalf of a sdn user who wishes to remain anonymous.

top 5 in alphabetical order

Carolinas:
Interview Day
Extensive pre-interview presentation given by chair and PD. 15m interview with PD, 30min with faculty. Tour and lunch within hospital. Stress-free day, dinner the night before was attended by a bunch of residents—had a really great time.

Program
Advanced, 5/year. Huge health system, rotations at 4 locations within Charlotte including 3 large private ortho groups. PD stressed “deep” exposure during rotations since there is no “general” rehab rotation. Business/administrative topics included within didactic series. Strong faculty covering virtually every aspect of PM&R. Best benefits of any program. Moonlighting allowed, residents said it was an excellent setup.

Strengths: tons of resources, deep faculty, PD adamant about pushing the program to top-tier status
Weaknesses: general lack of fellowships, not everyone likes the business aspects of the program

Call
Post-call day ends at 12p. 1 weekend + 1-2 weeknights per month, first 3 months are in-house call.

Residents
Outgoing, fun, very outdoors-y. Again, like most PM&R residents they were very honest answering our questions.

Fellowships
TBI

Charlotte
Tons of outdoor activities. Vibrant, energetic city. Average cost of living. Small local airport.

Emory:
Interview Day
Alternating morning/afternoon interviews and tours. 4 interviews @ 20minutes: 2 faculty, chief resident, and PD. Because the rotation sites are spread out they show you Shepherd Spinal and the Emory Ortho building about 10m from main campus.

Program
Advanced, 6/year. Not much I can say that hasn’t already been said in other threads. Emory covers all the bases, Shepherd is a model system. Balanced inpatient/outpatient experiences. Didactics 2x week, Tues/Thurs. Seniors go to conference. Malignant attending is still there.

Strengths: deep, diverse faculty, balanced curriculum, hands-on procedure experience, research opportunities
Weaknesses: no central location, cost of living varies greatly with distance (compounding the traffic problem)

Call
None as PGY4, varied throughout PGY2-3.

Residents
They hail from all over, Emory is not an institution to stick with geography. I believe the current interviewees will be the first class recruited by Dr. Monfared, so whether or not he heads in a different direction with his rank list remains to be seen.

Fellowships
Pain, peds, sports.

Atlanta
Cost of living within the city, while not on NYC level, is probably above-average. Outside the perimeter it becomes much more affordable. Lots of smaller, unique neighborhoods throughout the metro area means there’s something for everyone. Plenty of things to see/do. Traffic is absurd (see: snowstorm 2013)

Kentucky:
Interview Day
Day began with a powerpoint by the chair, followed by either 3 interviews @ 30 minutes each or a tour of the facilities, switching after lunch. The day ran as scheduled and everyone was very pleasant. Tour is done by residents and they are very honest and upfront about the program. All of them want to be there and seemed to enjoy working with each other.

Program
Categorical, 4/year. PGY1 is admittedly tough per the residents, but worthwhile. Duty hours are followed PGY1. DO option is available to make the PGY1 year both ACGME and AOA accredited. Didactics Tues/Fri 7-9a, 2 year rotating curriculum. Moonlighting allowed PGY2-4. $ provided for review course of choice during PGY3 or PGY4, not required to be board-related. $ to attend conference if paper accepted. Program faculty are stable, most seem to be UK-trained. Other attendings’ info within Cardinal Hill not given. Based on prior reviews about UK I didn't know what to expect, but my experience was excellent and this seems like a solid overall program.

Strengths: TBI, SCI, MSK, EMG
Weaknesses: peds, lack of fellowships (though they state that 100% of residents who sought fellowships elsewhere got what they wanted)

Call
Home call, I didn’t write down specifics for some reason, but per website: “PGY-II and PGY-III residents are responsible for first call on Monday through Thursday, 5 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. and Fridaythrough Sunday, 5 p.m. to 7:30 a.m. approximately every three weeks. The PGY II & III resident will alternate weekday and weekend call.The first call resident is responsible for weekend rounds with the attending and limited number of admissions. PGY-IV residents are on second call every third week. “

Residents
Very personable and easy going. They do things outside of the hospital, movies, etc.

Fellowships
Senior resident this year matched into UK’s pain fellowship, which is run by anesthesia. Two other residents got fellowships at Baylor (can’t remember which campus).

Lexington
Cheap cost of living, Keeneland and horse-racing in general is a huge draw for some people. SEC college town. Little traffic to speak of, Cardinal Hill (the primary rehab hospital) is roughly 10 minutes from UK Hospital and VA. Facilities are beautiful, CH renovated and brand new UK Hospital.

Louisville:
Interview Day
Laid back, brief intro by Dr. Kaelin. 4 interviews @ 20minutes each in the morning: 3 faculty and PD. Lunch and short tour of Frazier.

Program
Advanced, 2/year. Most rotations located in Frazier, state of the art rehab building. Didactics Fridays 9-12, resident-driven study completes Braddom once every year. Resident clinic Mondays 1-5p, continuity, can perform procedures. Faculty are nearly all fellowship-trained. Lots of research with emphasis on translational research bringing together benchtop and clinical ideas. PGY2s sent to AAP, PGY3/4s sent to AAPMR. Coverage for board review of choice. Moonlighting allowed.

Strengths: research, balance, small but focused faculty, energetic PD
Weaknesses: only 2 per year means it’s a long 3 years if you don’t get along with your PGY-mate, full week of call every month, not everyone is into research

Call
Home call, Mon 430p-Mon7a, roughly one straight week per month.

Residents
They all get along which is great. Last 3 years, 100% have gone into fellowships.

Fellowships
Sports

Louisville
Great little city, lots of parks and nice downtown area. Big on sports and horse racing. Cheaper cost of living on average, very nice neighborhoods both inside and outside city.

Missouri:
Interview Day
3 interviews @ 30minutes, faculty. Then there was sort of a group interview/discussion with the Chair, Dr. Worsowicz where he casually bounced questions off of us. Followed up with a tour of Rusk, lunch at a local restaurant, then a tour of Mizzou Hospital.

Program
Advanced (with prelim available through IM), 4/year. More general than other programs, priority is on well-rounded physiatrists. Didactics Tuesday/Friday, 100% board pass rate. Mock oral boards, yearly P&O conference. OMT is well-integrated—one of the attendings runs a full OMM clinic. MDs get in on the action if they want, learn basic OMM. Increased exposure to OccMed and residents “get really good at” worker’s comp issues. Sports Med attending recently left, actively looking for a replacement. New spine division of local ortho group scheduled to be up and running. Rusk is part private corp, part University, so residents are exposed to “business aspects”. Conferences paid for with accepted research, chiefs get 1 conference provided. Moonlighting allowed.

Strengths: varied unique exposures (OMM, occmed, pelvic pain, etc), family atmosphere
Weaknesses: research, sports med (though this should be rectified with a new hire), no fellowships

Call
Mon-Thurs or Fri-Sun, home call, PGY2 7 weeks, PGY3 3-5 weeks, PGY4 2 weeks

Residents
Easily the nicest/closest group I met on the trail. Down to earth, everyone loves Columbia and residents/attendings alike hang out with each other. Average of maybe 50% do fellowships elsewhere.

Columbia
College town, cheap cost of living, great place to raise a family. It’s out in the middle of nowhere, however, and flying into Columbia is far more expensive than St Louis or Kansas City.

Last edited:
"Emory....Malignant attending is still there."
It's been confirmed that he is no longer working in ATL and doesn't have any affiliations with Emory PM&R residents.

Kessler
really liked the feel of the program. the attendings were very approachable during my month long rotation. the residents got along well, and were personable. large hospital. the inpatient floors are newish and really nice. EMR and paper charts. call is in house and can be hectic. you will do it all 3 years of residency. the cafeteria didn't have much to offer. the residents were doing fellowships in sci, tbi, sports/spine. Would highly rank. felt homely. PD was really nice. I liked how the attendings did a lot of teaching. sports fellowship, tbi, sci. model systems. board review course annually. close enough to NYC to visit on the weekends

RIC
impressed with the program, and location. lots of research opportunities. There was a wall of published papers by the current residents. seems like the pgy2 year is intense, but it quickly tapers down during pgy3 and 4. The residents do very well in fellowship placement every year. This year's graduating class has 4 fellows doing acgme sports (spaulding, utah, davis, northwestern) 2 doing tbi (NYU, RIC), and 3 doing pain (UPMC, Wake Forest, and Cleveland Clinic). class before had 2 pain, 2 SCI, 4 acgme sports. The call is in house. you are the only resident in house for 170+ beds. also weekends where you come in and admit patients. residents get along very well. I like that it is a large class - 12 residents per year. Chicago was miserably cold when I visited. sucky cafeteria. new hospital being built to be done in 2016 with onsite parking. daily lunchtime lectures. weekly sports lectures given by the residents. cadaver prosections. ultrasound labs, physical exam series, annual ultrasound course, annual interventional spine course. P&O course. sports, pain, tbi, sci fellowships in house. unclear how much hands on for procedures but ? more opportunities being formed. can rotate at northwestern pain, sports, rheum. 6 months of elective!

I too was hoping for a rank order list to get started; they are enormously helpful. Just seems like this year there aren't too many applicants that use SDN. Too bad!

Just a few unorganized thoughts off the top of my head about the programs that I interviewed at/ranked, in no particular order. please note that i am extremely biased and that i'm not making any efforts to hide it, but i figure that's what i wanted to hear when i was looking for information like this nearly a year ago.
Kessler

attendings were very friendly, residents were very down-to-earth, willing to teach whenever they were free. PD is extremely friendly and willing to offer assistance with whatever you need. didactics were onsite directed by attendings, but weekly morning didactics (on wednesday i think) also had parts where physical exam was taught by R4s. by the location, i would say that it's good but not great, as the PD will say that you can live essentially in NYC, but that's different from living in NYC and working in NYC. Northern NJ has its charms, but i would say most of the USA cannot appreciate those charms. i think i interviewed with two attendings and a chief resident. they have two chief residents, one devoted to academics, and the other to management and allocation (i forget the official term used for this). residents and attendings are extremely friendly with each other - i didn't see too much evidence of heirarchal structure while i was there, a good thing. the main site is a standalone rehab center, meaning that emergencies involve the resident sending patients off to ERs at nearby hospitals, instead of a simple transfer to a medical floor up/downstairs. this is both good and bad, depending on your attitude. residents here do _very_ well on the boards. also, the acuity of patients here is higher than at your typical rehab center (patients on vents, etc.). in-house call.

Kessler clearly has an excellent reputation, but also seems to live up to the hype. their grads place very well at fellowships, and have a lot of exposure to TBI, SCI, etc. and generally feel comfortable doing whatever it is they want to do coming out of residency. i came away from the interview thinking about where i'd look for apartments, what sites i would prefer, essentially thinking that i'd rank it first, but i guess i'm easily wined and dined.

Columbia/Cornell (New York Presbyterian)

my favorite program that i interviewed in NYC, as they had the friendlist staff and residents present during the interview day - which i did with a fever. i had 6 interviews here, 5 with attendings and one with a chief. the hospital is absolutely enormous. one upside was that we were able to take a look at the one of the housing sites including the inside of a two bedroom (which was decent given their subsidized price and its location). the residents i interacted with were all very happy and eager to tell me about how great their experience has been, and that the R4s felt confident practicing immediately if they needed/wanted to. also, the residents emphasized that they worked a very fair amount, and that they had time to pursue outside interests while still getting a good education. they get to rotate at HSS, which an actually unique experience (the word unique is... overused, to put it mildly), and seems pretty interesting. one downside i came away thinking about was that they have some sites that are not in manhattan, and require some use of public transportation (that is subsidized), and that a significant number of blocks are spent at the columbia medical center, which is a ways (in NYC distance, anyhow) from NYP. in-house call. one restrictive thing is that there are no chances for outside electives here, meaning you need to use your vacations weeks for audition rotations for fellowships.

overall, a program that surely offers a very solid range of training, has happy residents, is situation on the upper east side. what more could you want?

RIC

the often spoken of RIC. the residents i interacted with here were very friendly and eager to convince me that they really liked it there, and that i should come also, which i take as a good sign. i interviewed with 3 attendings, while the chiefs did the presentation and tour. the attendings were nice, but i didn't get to see too much attending/resident interaction to see what the atmosphere was like. one thing i had written down on my notes coming away was "lack of procedural training?", which at this point honestly i don't remember what prompted me to note that. that aside, their inpatient training has a reputation that needs no introduction. research is big here, and i felt strongly coming away that i would be able to find somebody to work under/with and get a lot done during my residency, which was pretty exciting to think about. in-house call. they take 4 categorical and 8 advanced - not a small program.

one huge note: they are putting up some kind of crazy expensive, state-of-the-art 40-story standalone rehab building, should be complete by 2017 (construction deadlines... yea, you know how they go). this building will be amazing, i am 100% convinced that it will be the most amazing rehab center in the world. one floor of the current building is a sort of scaled-down version of what the new building will be - technology integration is at a high level here, as is decor and equipment. also, i remember hearing that each floor will have both offices and patient rooms, so that researchers can be close to their patients. did i mention research is big here?

da bears

NYU

firstly, i came away from my interview day blown away by how awesome everything looked and sounded. the PD is very direct: his goal is to attract and employ very motivated residents who have the goal of becoming leaders. he wants to make the program a better program, and it's clear that this is already in motion. the residents i talked to were pretty happy, but it seemed like those i talked to interacted with lots of friends outside of the program - apparently that particular class of residents did not have a high level of cohesion, but this is prone to happen at any program with a large class, and varies year-to-year. the PD emphasized that the program is very open to working with residents who want to take charge and improve the system, and that he is very motivated to go to bat for the residents. these claims were in fact supported by what residents told me. they have several sites, but they are all roughly in the same area, so travel is rather convenient if you like walking down avenues. the program is opening an accredited sports fellowship on top of its existing fellowships in the near future. in-house call, except at the VA (i think this is pretty standard practice at VAs in the programs i've interviewed at).

the R2s here work very hard, make no mistake. they have a problem where services consult for transfer down to rehab units very late in the day (~5pm), and the residents have no choice but to start an admission at that time - multiple admissions might come on the same day. i was told by an R2 when i asked about frequency of violation of 80hr work weeks, that you cannot think about your education that way, and that the quality as well as repetition of education are essential for preparedness. while i'm not sure if i buy that explanation, i have no problems with working hard, and did not count this against the program. R3/4 do not work nearly as hard - they described their activities outside of work, and that R2 is just a year to get through and learn from.

GLA VA/UCLA

the people here are extremely nice. residents are extremely happy, and work good hours. home call only, i believe. tons of opportunity to get procedural exposure. residents sign up to do volunteer sports coverage for high school football games on friday nights, with sports clinic on saturdays. apparently the residents go on a cruise together/do a big skiing trip. the PD here was the nicest i met at any program, hands down. she is awesome. the pain clinic/fellowship is renowned. tons more reasons to come, i liked what i saw, i walked out feeling like i'd be back in a year and a half as a resident, and excited to do so. residents get to do EMGs starting from the first rotation if you're at the main site on outpatient. i interviewed with the PD and the previous PD who now runs the pain fellowship, and is also a very nice person.

the downsides: the program is based at a VA, with a smattering of rotations at non-VA sites. be prepared to deal w/ various problems that the VA system has everywhere. the program is very well regarded in southern california, but not perhaps so much across the country, but i can't speak as to how much this even matters 3-4 years out from residency anyhow. TBI/SCI aren't emphasized, and i don't think there is any burn rehab exposure. the sites are spread across LA and in the valley, so if you like parking on the 405 for certain rotations, then no sweat. the farthest site i think is long beach, which is a good amount of traffic from the VA (at least an hour, i believe).

the western part of LA is an amazing place. did i mention that the VA is a 15 minute drive from santa monica pier, aka the pacific ocean? one resident said that he actually lived in an apartment in santa monica. gosh, sign me up.

North Shore/LIJ

i'm not a big fan of the long island area, but it certainly has its merits (or so i've been told repeatedly). the interview was a bit odd, since their main rehab site is due to change to a different location, meaning there was nothing to tour reasonably - we were given the chance to head out a ways to another site and tour, but it's rather hard to build motivation to do so when most of the tours you go on just reveal the same looking floor you've already been on too many times (except RIC and Spaulding). i don't think anybody actually headed over there afterwards from my group. the residents seemed nice enough, but i didn't get to interact with them too much since they were around during didactics, from which we were pulled one by one to go to interviews. one interview was a bit odd, as the interviewer was somebody who had just come to work there, but otherwise there were no issues. seems like residents get pretty decent procedural training, as well as a wide range of exposures. there were a handful of students also there during the didactics, and i asked them how they felt about the program and was told that they liked it a lot, but i guess that response has to be taken with a grain of salt.

i didn't like the program much, but i think it's because i am biased against long island (not sure why). can't argue against their resident salaries, though, as LIJ has the highest salaries across the board for any type of residency that i know of.

Montefiore/Einstein

the bronx leaves me with mixed feelings, but the program itself seemed very legit, if you excuse my slang. the PD here is a very nice guy who definitely goes out of his way to to work for the benefit of the residents. the electives here offer a huge amount of flexibility, as the PD is willing to allow you to do rotations nearly anywhere you can find a reasonable opportunity to gain experience in PM&R and further your education. this is huge, as some programs have no ability to do outside rotations. it seems like there are some rather unique learning experiences here, such as pelvic floor rehab, and performing arts rehab in terms of both research and practice, which is extremely cool. i interviewed with i believe 6 (?) interviewers here, which were all very relaxed. i was very pleasantly surprised by the whole experience. in-house call, i think.

but again, the bronx, it's a tough sell for me. if the program was somewhere else, i'd have ranked it higher.

Penn

Penn had the best pre-interview social. they rented out a bowling alley which employs people with disabilities and invites all their residents to bowl, eat pizza, and talk about Penn with the applicants. i think this is why the interview day was so large (more than 20 applicants at the interview day!!), because it's not reasonable to do that too many times. that said, the program seemed pretty legitimate. while Penn has the reputation in PM&R residency world of being behind its two regional competitors of Temple and Jefferson, it's clear that Penn has more resources, and that eventually, some of those resources are coming to the PM&R program. there seemed to be a lot of positive changes that recently happened, along with many more positive changes to come. seems like residents are excited about learning, and like what they're getting in terms of their experience here (although i would say that i didn't visit a single program where this wasn't true). the main site is a standalone rehab hospital (see above). it seems like the chairman and PD both are highly involved in improving and nurturing the program, similar to at NS/LIJ. also, i believe residents get to rotate at CHOP, very important if you're interested in pediatric PM&R. they take 2 categorical, 4 advanced.

that said, in the present, Penn is the smallest name out of the three Philly programs. i would say its location is 2nd best, as it is basically next to Rittenhouse Square, which a very nice upscale part of center city philadelphia, with jefferson being the most central and best situated, but only by a hair. i believe that at Penn residents reported that they didn't need to have a car.

Temple

the interview day was a bit weird, since it involves meeting at temple university hospital, then being driven 20 minutes by residents to moss rehab (which is in a suburban location), attending didactics while being pulled out for interviews and tours, then being driven back to TUH and doing more interviews and another tour. if anything, this seems to reflect what the residency might be like at times, as call (in-house), involves covering both sites and may require driving from one to the other during the night. that said, temple has a great reputation, and has a great alumni legacy to lean on (as do a few of the above programs as well). they have a great range of exposures, and their residents were extremely eager to be helpful to the applicants. in the car between sites we chatted about how easy it is to be a resident and have kids, what to do in your free time, how happy residents are for choosing to come to temple, the various private practices that residents get to rotate and get procedural training in, etc. temple is a great program. i'm not sure if residents from here get to rotate at CHOP also.... probably something to look up.

temple is not in the safest part of philly. i remember in med school interviews being told that the new floodlights on top of the medical center keep the surrounding very well lit at night, as a big positive change. that said, you don't have to live in north philly, and i don't believe many of the residents do. obviously, you'll need a car here.

UCI

this program stuck out to me because when i asked the PD what he was looking for in residents, instead of the usual answer of "friendly, team-oriented people who love to learn" and so on, i was told that he was looking for people who are independent, leaders, willing to take action and initiative and create change instead of just hoping for it. this is cool because i would at least like to fool myself into believing i am such a person. that said, research has been good at UCI for a while, but in the last few years has really opened up for residents - the powerpoint presentation included a lot of very interesting research involving residents that i would love to jump into immediately, such as robotic rehab and video game-incorporated rehab. also, residents here absolutely love where they are in terms of both the program and the location. i interviewed with 3 attendings, a fellow, and a chief resident. orange county is as close to a utopian society as there is in the USA so far as i know. most of the residents i talked to are from southern california, though. home call only. residents advocate that there are absolutely tons and tons of procedural training going down here, which i would say was not necessarily true everywhere else (and often a focus of needed improvement). the medical center at UCI is gorgeous, but unfortunately PM&R residents only walk in to do consults. residents here felt very confident to practice coming out without a fellowship, but about half go to fellowship anyway. that said, UCI is not a big name, but the residents have placed to pretty good fellowships.

i've been told that there is a goldmine of outdoor activities to do in orange county, which is not even mildly surprising.

UC Davis

people here were extremely nice, and the medical campus is beautiful. there are i think two satellite locations, as well as clinics that are not on the campus, but the majority happens at UC Davis medical center. they have some nice outpatient clinics that showcase a wide range of patient populations including neuromuscular disorders. residents here get a pretty good amount of procedural training. the staff is very relaxed and friendly. the inpatient side is small, but i'm told it is made up for by the other sites. a relatively small program that takes 3/year including one categorical. peds is big here, as they have Shriners, meaning that a large chunk of peds PM&R patients across northern california are all coming here. home call only, but with only 3 residents in a class, you'll be on call a bit more.

sacramento left me wanting a bit more, as it didn't seem particularly exciting, but i would think it is a good place if you're not young and single like me.

JFK

JFK has a surprisingly good range of exposures (at least surprising to me). i liked the PD, as her presentation was pretty straightforward and really taught me a few things about what i ought to be looking for in programs, explained accreditation, board scores, etc. i interviewed i believe with 2 attendings and a chief resident. the residents were extremely relaxed during the interview and during the attending run didactic i sat in on. i got the sense that they were a tight-knit bunch who hung out outside of work and enjoyed what they did. residents go to kessler for some parts of their training. i walked away feeling that i would get a solid complete training at JFK, and that i would not have any regrets there.

edison has a surprising amount of traffic, especially right near JFK itself. i think you'll need to have a car if you want to go anywhere in NJ.

Harvard/Spaulding

the facility, opened less than a year ago, is fantastic. i need not go into all the details, but just believe me when i say that i was totally amazed by how wonderful the facilities at the Spaulding are. that said, residents rotate there about half the time, and do training elsewhere, including MGH, where residents do a month with neurology, another unique experience that is sure to be challenging and highly informative. residents absolutely love it in boston, they got into a debate about what is the best part of boston to live in when asked about where they live, and concluded that boston has a niche for everybody. this is the only place where residents and attendings were all on a first-name basis. the PD is an extremely helpful guy who goes out of his way and works hard for residents, a view shared independently to me by several residents. he is very open to changes to the program, and takes suggestions very seriously. residents pointed out to me changes that had been made to the curriculum at their behest, including adding a rheumatology month. electives here are a big deal, as you are given 2 months each in R3 and R4 to rotate outside the system in a PM&R-related role. past residents have been overseas working or at home working on medical student curricula. also, an additional in-system selective month in R4. they have TBI, SCI, and burn model systems (not sure what other programs have all 3, but there aren't many).

Boston is a great city, or so i'm told, since i haven't lived there before. tedy bruschi (former NFL linebacker for the patriots) donated to spaulding, as he rehab'd there after his stroke, which is kind of cool. this program appealed to me greatly because it is already highly reputable, yet still young and constantly changing to accommodate residents and improve their experience.

--

sort of ran out of steam there near the end. there are a lot of things like how many calls, didactic schedule, how much money you get for buying another ipad for yourself, but those things didn't affect my rank list. they're all minor things that you simply adjust to once you are locked into a situation. i only talked about things that i felt would really change my mind about whether or not to go to a program. feel free to PM me with any questions, especially regarding the interviews, but no guarantees on timing of response.

Last edited:
So I didn't see a Rank Order List Thread, so I'll just post mine here. I found these very helpful in the past and wanted to pay it forward. If someone does make a ROL thread, please add this to that. Hopefully this prompts some other people to put their ROL out.

Gotta Have It (in no particular order)

University of Washington (Seattle)

Program seems really strong in all aspects. They used to be more known for their inpatient rehab, but hired on a bunch of sports & spine doctors a few years ago who seem really great. They emphasize teaching and have 2 days of lectures a week, with certain courses which are specific to what year you are in residency so that you get a really great education. I think they have like a 97% board pass rate over the last 20-30 years, which is really impressive. Have 3 model systems + lots of exposure to MS. While a lot of people were doing sports and spine fellowships this year, they get people into all kinds of great fellowships and you can do whatever you want. I love Seattle and have family nearby, although I am worried that the constant gray would get to me if I had to live there the whole time. Its also very dog-friendly, which I like.

Harvard Spaulding

Very strong program with faculty that are really fun people to talk with. I enjoyed chatting with all the people and thought they would be great to work with. They are committed to constantly revamping and making the program better, which I saw as a huge asset. However, if you don't like the constant change, this program is not a good place for you. The program also seemed to really focus on research, with residents who weren't even that interested in research going on to publish things (also have 3 model systems). I think they make it very easy to complete research and as someone who wants to do academics, this was an advantage for me. You also rotate through MGH, Brigham & Women's which residents say have amazing well trained faculty. All people graduating this year were going into different fields, so you can do whatever you want. One thing that worried me was how much procedural experience you would get, as you deal with patients who can afford to go to Harvard to get treated. Boston is a great city where I had visited several times previously. Also, the new building is probably the nicest rehab hospital in the country, although I almost wish they had their old location because the new hospital isn't near the T. Also I wish Boston was more dog-friendly.

RIC

A perennial power, RIC is very strong with their education. To my surprise, it also has the most elective time (6 months) that I saw from any place. Residents were very cool, and I felt that I would get along with them. The lecturer I saw kinda threw something together last minute and it was still amazing, so I know the residents get great teaching. Despite being a big program (11-12 residents/year), it felt small. People get amazing fellowships in whatever they want and with the new building research will be even easier. The biggest problem I saw was that it was fully frontloaded with inpatient, so if you wanted to check out some of the outpatient stuff, you wouldn't get to do it till you were an R3, and you wouldn’t get to review your inpatient stuff as an R4. The biggest surprise for me was its location; its right in the coolest part of Chicago off of Michigan Ave by the Navy Pier. Also, all hospitals you rotate through are within a few mile radius. While its freezing cold in Chicago for most of the year, I'd be willing to bear it for the education and because I could have a 5 minute commute living across the street from the hospital. +dog-friendly

Love It (no particular order)

Kessler - Rutgers

Program trains great physiatrists, well respected in the community, and residents seem to get great fellowships. I like how they allow residents to kind of build their own schedule in order of senority, so that you get more electives as time goes on, but you still finish all your core electives. Residents absolutely rock the boards, and you get exposed to everything (Kessler is a major referral center from all of NYC and New Jersey). Although everyone was super nice, I had a little trouble figuring out the culture of the place. It seemed like the residents were a full smorgasboard of personalities (from super introverted to super extroverted), which could work really well, but I wasn’t sure if I would fit in. The biggest downside of the program is the fact that its in New Jersey and requires a lot of driving. My fiance and I both aren’t fans of New Jersey (or NYC for that matter), otherwise this would have definitely been in my “Gotta have it” section.

Jefferson

This program was the biggest surprise for me on the interview trail. I didn’t really know much about the program until I arrived in Philly, and I was really impressed. The program is very dedicated to education, even taking pagers from residents during didactics. Its no wonder they have a 100% board pass rate over the past few years. Additionally, they seem to have a great anatomy course, emg training with two masters, and even an MSK ultrasound block 1:1 with a MSK radiologist. It seems like Jefferson has connections with many of the hospitals in Philly, so you not only get to rotate at Jefferson and Magee (big name for SCI), but you also go to places like Moss (Temple PM&R) and Rothman (big name ortho place). Surprisingly, I thought Philly was actually a really cool city (and much more affordable than others + dog friendly). With Jefferson and Magee being right in Center City, you can live in the coolest part of the city and enjoy a tiny commute for most of your training.

Like it (again, no particular order)

Stanford

This program is in the Bay Area, where I’m originally from and where I’d like to end up with work, so that was a big bonus. The program seems to have done a lot in recent years to really improve it. Residents get to rotate at the Palo Alto Va and Santa Clara Valley for inpatient. Santa Clara Valley has a rehabilitation trauma center and no neurosurgery residents, so residents become very adept at handling acute issues there. Palo Alto VA is a beautiful VA, one of the few polytrauma centers, and has great exposure to chronic SCI. The program has hired a bunch of new attendings, who were all really great and have done a lot to improve the program. While historically better for inpatient, they have made some improvements recently with outpatient exposure and this has improved it greatly. I honestly think they have one of the best, if not the best, Spine fellowship, as Dr. Kennedy and Dr. Smuck are amazing and teach a ton. The biggest drawback for me was procedural experience. It seemed like residents had to push hard to do procedures, and their EMG numbers were among the lowest I saw. Also, because the Bay Area is so spread apart, the different sites are really far away which means a bunch of driving.

UPMC (Pitt)

This program is clearly trying to become one of the “super six,” and I would not be surprised if it becomes one of them in the future. They have a huge research budget, plenty of variety in clinical sites without competition, and strong teaching. Residents seem like they have a lot of fun and they can go into whatever they would like to. Getting procedures, emg's, etc. don't seem to be a problem. They also seem to want to continually change to become better. They have probably the most supportive chair I have ever seen, so I think the PM&R dept. will keep on growing for years to come. For me the biggest drawback was that its in Pittsburgh (I didn’t think I would like the city that much, although it is incredibly cheap that I considered ranking it higher and living like a king) and most of residents in recent years all seemed to be doing fellowships/working nearby Pittsburgh. This might be because the residents really love the program or the city, and don’t want to leave, but I couldn’t be sure.

Temple

A great program in Philly, it h as good training and seems to make great doctors. I thought these residents were the coolest I met, and thought I would really get along with them. One of the great things about Moss Rehab is that it functions as a stand alone rehab center, but is connected to a hospital. Because of this, as a rehab doc, you can really handle acute medical conditions that otherwise wouldn’t occur in a normal stand alone rehab hospital. I even heard of residents putting in central lines (albeit, a rare occurrance). The teaching seems great, and they really stress the alumni network. I know this network is the real deal, because one of my research PI’s who used to work at Temple in another dept. offered to make a call for me if I was going to rank Temple higher. Their outpatient rotations are cool, because they have an area of focus, but you rotate at a bunch of different sites to get broad exposure. The biggest downside is its location. Moss (where you do most of your rotations) is outside the city center, and would mean at least 1/2 an hour of driving each way. While Moss is in a nice suburban area, I didn’t get the feeling that many residents lived nearby it.

Georgetown NRH (National Rehab)

Dr. Whitehair seems like a great PD who really presents the program honestly. It seems like former administration let things fall through and the program degraded to the point where it was eventually under probation. However, Dr. Whitehair has completely revamped the program and I think it would be a great place to train. Everyone in the program was really nice & approachable. New innovations in education are emphasized, with little quizzes, resident directed learning, and interesting rotations (eg where you get to work with the prosthetist and PT’s to really learn how to properly direct them). This could be a downside, as it seems like residents lecture as much as attendings do. Research opportunities seem abound, with a ton of residents going to present at AAP or AAPM&R. You get a lot of elective time, and the residents seem to have success with getting good fellowships. DC is a great city, and it would be amazing for my fiance’s job opportunities. Unfortunately, the hospital is not terribly easy to access by the metro and its not in the area of DC I would live in. Despite this, I think that the program is strong and I would be happy to go there.

Honorable mention: I was looking for a well rounded program with both good inpatient and outpatient exposure. Even though I think I want to do outpatient, I could see myself flipping during residency and becoming an inpatient doc. If you know that you want to do outpatient, then I strongly recommend you check out the following -

Columbia Cornell NYP (Sports & Spine)
LSU (Pain)
UCLA (Pain or non-fellowship outpatient).

All these programs seem to have better schedules (less time on call), fantastic outpatient training (at LSU you can do an intern year which is 1/2 pain management), really, happy residents, and great locations. However, I felt that their inpatient training was weaker than other programs. While I only met the C&C people on interview day, I can say from interactions with attendings at LSU and UCLA over a longer period that they have some of the nicest people out there. If I was 100% sure on doing outpatient, these would have ended up being some of my top choices.

Places that weren’t for me
(I mean no offense to these programs, these are just the impressions I got and they might be totally wrong. These programs just didn't feel right for me, personally. I only write these down because I wanted this kind of information when I was looking at places. I think residents coming from these programs all have more than adequate training)

Tufts - PD rubbed me the wrong way. The program felt too small, and because of that, residents are on call very often. I felt like I only connected with some of the residents. While I love Boston, you don’t actually spend that much time working in Boston proper, and instead drive to sites surrounding Boston.
NYU - Heard about residents working ridiculous hours (to like 1 am on a non-call day). That is fine, but then I feel that their board pass rate should have been better from all the extra training. Also, I heard from someone rotating there that several residents seemed overworked and depressed. Like I said earlier, I’m not a huge fan of NYC, and the program felt like it was too big.
Baylor/UTH - just felt too big for me. While the residents all seemed to like Houston, I didn't think it was for me. I would prefer to get rid of my car, take public transit, and be cold than to be hot/humid and driving all the time. Also, I really struggled getting an honest impression of the program from some of the residents. It seemed like some were just trying to sell me, so I couldn't tell what negatives/red flags were present. The program also felt like it was a little too inpatient focused for me, whereas I wanted a more balanced place. However, I think the residents who graduate are certainly well trained and do well.

Reactions: 2 users