PM&R Pain Fellowship Application - 2020-2021 Interview Season

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flood117

Reaction score
I know it's early, but was trying to get a thread going about PM&R residents/physicians trying to apply for a pain fellowship this winter, with the ultimate goal of starting their fellowships July 2021. Anyone have up to date information regarding programs, specifically work loads, call schedule, which programs have higher exposure to as many procedures as possible, attending to fellow interaction/guidance during said procedures, great education/didactics etc?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What would be great is a list of pain fellowships that have current PM&R-trained fellows or have taken in the past. I know people have made this before, I just haven't seen a public one.

What would be great is a list of pain fellowships that have current PM&R-trained fellows or have taken in the past. I know people have made this before, I just haven't seen a public one.
That would be amazing!

Members don't see this ad :)
The only information I can really find is just limited tid-bits from each programs website, other residents and from this forum.

From what I can tell, most programs are pretty good but it's really hard to tell. Most of the program websites don't say very much. Seems like I'll be ranking based on location and what my impressions are during interview day.

Anyone know anything about the Cleveland UH fellowship? Their website information makes me not want to apply there.

I'm a PM&R resident and applied to pain this past cycle. From my research and interview experiences, here's my impression of the programs that have had PM&R residents in the last few years. By no means is this comprehensive! It seems that the field of pain medicine is evolving to become more multi-discplinary, so I think the more valid question would be which programs do NOT accept PM&R.

Colorado (1 of 3 fellows is PM&R trained. But interestingly each fellow has their own separate track with separate responsibilities (Anesthesia vs. PM&R vs. Peds), and the PM&R fellow does sports coverage as their call with little exposure to neuromodulation procedures)
Dartmouth
Emory
Henry Ford / Wayne State
Johns Hopkins
Massachusetts General
Michigan
Northwestern
NYU
Penn State
Stanford
UC Davis
UCLA/West LA VA
UCSD
UCSF
University of Washington
UPMC
UT-San Antonio
Washington University in St. Louis
Wisconsin

I'm a PM&R resident and applied to pain this past cycle. From my research and interview experiences, here's my impression of the programs that have had PM&R residents in the last few years. By no means is this comprehensive! It seems that the field of pain medicine is evolving to become more multi-discplinary, so I think the more valid question would be which programs do NOT accept PM&R.

Colorado (1 of 3 fellows is PM&R trained. But interestingly each fellow has their own separate track with separate responsibilities (Anesthesia vs. PM&R vs. Peds), and the PM&R fellow does sports coverage as their call with little exposure to neuromodulation procedures)
Dartmouth
Emory
Henry Ford / Wayne State
Johns Hopkins
Massachusetts General
Michigan
Northwestern
NYU
Penn State
Stanford
UC Davis
UCLA/West LA VA
UCSD
UCSF
University of Washington
UPMC
UT-San Antonio
Washington University in St. Louis
Wisconsin
Wow this is amazing! Thank you for this information!

What about these random programs that say to have your LOR's addressed directly to the PD or Dr. ______. Are we really expected to have our LOR authors address multiple different PD's directly? I'd be like uploading 50 different LOR versions just to do that.

Wow that’s interesting. Was actually just talking to someone in my program who just matched Pain. She said her application was a bit delayed bc ERAS flagged one of her LOR’s for being addressed to the local PD haha. Proceed w caution?

The majority of the programs these days have taken PM&R fellows recently. It's easier to list the ones that don't.

What are the 2 options with the Penn State program. They have listed to either apply to pain/PM&R fellowship or to apply to fellowship.

I've looked at their website and don't see what the difference is between the 2 tracks? Anyone have any information?

There is no difference in the tracks. Penn State has 4 fellowship positions all with the same curriculum. It’s just that one of the four spots is designated for a PM&R trained physician.