Interview......When they ask do you have any ?'s for us?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ryanpj

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two upcoming interviews at UHS-COM (Kansas City) on April 10 and DMSU on April 20. Ok I was thinking of good general ?'s to ask them and a friend of mine asked this at her grad school interview. "What will it take or what do you need to know or hear from me to ensure you that I am the right applicant for this school", or something to that effect. It sounds good in theory and it would let them know that you are serious about attending, but it may rub some in the wrong spot or be inappropriate. What do you guys think? And for those of you that know anything about the personalities of those doing the interviews at each of these schools please apply them to this situation.

Members don't see this ad.

I would leave out the word "hear" to me it sounds like you are willing to say whatever the admissions want to hear so that they will let you in. I think that might be a touchy subject when it seems like so many med school applications say they want to do primary care medicine in a rural area and they really don't want to.

This is your time to ask questions though. I had an interview at KCOM where the interview actually took place on rounds with the doctor. I wasn't sure at the time if I had gotten a fair chance to talk to the doctor interviewing me so when he asked if I had any questions I did ask if he felt like he had gotten to know me well enough to recommend me for admissions.

I would go to the interview with a written list of questions that you might want to ask and then decide during the interview what you will ask after you have a chance to judge the mood of the interview.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

The main thing is to be a good conversaltionalist and a good listener. Find out as much about your interviewers ahead of time and listen to what they are saying to you during the interview.

Ask them how long they've been there, what's the best thing they like about the school, where they've worked before, how they got into their field, what direction do they think school is headed, what needs to be improved about the school, etc.

You can also ask them questions like how much of the class is already filled, but I would not word your question as bluntly as you proposed. You could always ask something like "What characteristics do you feel the admissions committe is most interested in finding in a successful applicants"? Or something like that.

You can let them know how serious you are about the school by closing with a statement of around 200 words that summarizes how well you'd fit into the program (based on what you've gathered is important to them) and how the school is a very high (or top) choice for you. Be absolutely sure that you know specific numbers about the school, the mission statement, professors research interests, any special programs, etc. Weave into your closing statement how much you like that they stand for and tell them how you are on the same page.

It's all about connecting with the people you're talking to.

If you have time, I highly recommend the audiocassette "101 Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions" by Ron Frye.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a second year at UHS and during my interview when they asked if I had any questions I stated "I have really been impressed with your campus and curriculum, but as faculty, why do YOU think I should attend this school as apposed to other schools like yadda yadda?"
That seemed to work well and I got good answers from them.

e

Listen guy!
You have to be yourself when you go into these interview. This is what I have found out long ago....If you go around BSing during your meeting they actually may not like you..

Plus, it is in your best interest to sound like a decent and hardworking guy. They are doing this interview not to know if you are the real spirited fellah for their school but more to know if you are a normal type of guy, stable, not a psycho or crazy..
I heard in some school's they even have a psychitrist interview the candidate to screen out crazy ones.....

And, whatever you have to say make sure it is reasonable of a future doctor.

Good Luck
Jacob Keum
4th year NYCOM

The Psychiatrists that interview at medical schools are on the faculty. They have interviewing duties just like other faculty members. I doubt they are simultaneously performing clinical diagnoses. Screen out the crazy ones, sounds ludicrous.
Besides, I'm looney-tunes and the shrink let me into the school, hehe.