I decided to interview the chair of Admission for the DPT program of my school to get some insight on how they prepare for the application cycle, how they review applicants, and how DPT curriculum is created. I also obtained some advice for applicants with low GPA or who found a passion for PT late in college or later in life. I KNOW IT'S LONG BUT HERE'S THE LIST OF THE QUESTIONS I ASKED:
0:50 You serve as Chair of the Admissions committee for a top-ranked DPT program. Tell us about your responsibilities in this role.
3:50 DPT programs influence the future of the profession because they handpick future Physical Therapists. What qualities do you think future PTs can bring to the profession to move things ahead in the years to come?
8:13 Who decides what is included in DPT training? Is it the program itself, or a national organization?
11:23 The mainstream culture in selecting applicant is heavily dependent on cumulative GPA. It was hard for me to get here, I had to apply twice before I could get in. How do you evaluate applicants for admission?
14:50 What advice do you have for someone who found a passion for PT later in life, but doesn’t necessarily have the average GPA of admitted students?
19:34 You are a healthcare professional, an educator, a researcher, and a parent. What do you do for fun? How do you manage all of those roles and can you provide some practical tips for time management?
23:02 Do you have any advice for future DPT students on how to make the best out of PT school?