This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheezy89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I decided to interview the chair of Admission for the DPT program of my school to get some insight on how they prepare for the application cycle, how they review applicants, and how DPT curriculum is created. I also obtained some advice for applicants with low GPA or who found a passion for PT late in college or later in life. I KNOW IT'S LONG BUT HERE'S THE LIST OF THE QUESTIONS I ASKED:

0:50 You serve as Chair of the Admissions committee for a top-ranked DPT program. Tell us about your responsibilities in this role.

3:50 DPT programs influence the future of the profession because they handpick future Physical Therapists. What qualities do you think future PTs can bring to the profession to move things ahead in the years to come?

8:13 Who decides what is included in DPT training? Is it the program itself, or a national organization?

11:23 The mainstream culture in selecting applicant is heavily dependent on cumulative GPA. It was hard for me to get here, I had to apply twice before I could get in. How do you evaluate applicants for admission?

14:50 What advice do you have for someone who found a passion for PT later in life, but doesn’t necessarily have the average GPA of admitted students?

19:34 You are a healthcare professional, an educator, a researcher, and a parent. What do you do for fun? How do you manage all of those roles and can you provide some practical tips for time management?

23:02 Do you have any advice for future DPT students on how to make the best out of PT school?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
This is awesome! I'm also very surprised that she agreed to do the interview. That is very supportive of her, and I did not know there were PT schools out there that only look at prerequisites when it comes to GPA. You guys mentioned new curriculum. What's it like or how is it different from other DPT curriculum?

Members don't see this ad :)
I decided to interview the chair of Admission for the DPT program of my school to get some insight on how they prepare for the application cycle, how they review applicants, and how DPT curriculum is created. I also obtained some advice for applicants with low GPA or who found a passion for PT late in college or later in life. I KNOW IT'S LONG BUT HERE'S THE LIST OF THE QUESTIONS I ASKED:

0:50 You serve as Chair of the Admissions committee for a top-ranked DPT program. Tell us about your responsibilities in this role.

3:50 DPT programs influence the future of the profession because they handpick future Physical Therapists. What qualities do you think future PTs can bring to the profession to move things ahead in the years to come?

8:13 Who decides what is included in DPT training? Is it the program itself, or a national organization?

11:23 The mainstream culture in selecting applicant is heavily dependent on cumulative GPA. It was hard for me to get here, I had to apply twice before I could get in. How do you evaluate applicants for admission?

14:50 What advice do you have for someone who found a passion for PT later in life, but doesn’t necessarily have the average GPA of admitted students?

19:34 You are a healthcare professional, an educator, a researcher, and a parent. What do you do for fun? How do you manage all of those roles and can you provide some practical tips for time management?

23:02 Do you have any advice for future DPT students on how to make the best out of PT school?
OP what school is this. If the chair is any representation of the pt program faculty I would like to apply there!

OP what school is this. If the chair is any representation of the pt program faculty I would like to apply there!
Yeah It's MGH IHP. The professors are great and I still cannot believe she agreed to do this.

This is awesome! I'm also very surprised that she agreed to do the interview. That is very supportive of her, and I did not know there were PT schools out there that only look at prerequisites when it comes to GPA. You guys mentioned new curriculum. What's it like or how is it different from other DPT curriculum?
The new curriculum has its pros and cons. Basically we study pharmacology, anatomy, neurology, documentation etc all in one module instead of having individual course for each subject. They made sure everything you are learning is integrated. In my opinion it's the best because the materials really stick. There are also time when we get overloaded with just too much info and we don't have enough time to cover them as well as we want. This is Grad school though and that won't change lol. How far along are you with your application if you are applying?

This is great and I really enjoyed her interview. As a career-changer, I value MGH's emphasis on having a well-rounded, diverse incoming class and a curriculum that values collaborative learning.

The new curriculum has its pros and cons. Basically we study pharmacology, anatomy, neurology, documentation etc all in one module instead of having individual course for each subject. They made sure everything you are learning is integrated. In my opinion it's the best because the materials really stick. There are also time when we get overloaded with just too much info and we don't have enough time to cover them as well as we want. This is Grad school though and that won't change lol. How far along are you with your application if you are applying?
I am a sophomore, very interested in Physical Therapy. It's nice to see people like you sharing your experience in that format.