Interviewed @ LECOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coyshotspur

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just recently interviewed at LECOM for their DPM program.

I was wondering if anyone else is considering applying to LECOM? Or If anyone else has interviewed already?

If anyone has any questions I’ll be happy to answer.

Members don't see this ad.

Your winters are gonna be brutal. I do think it’s good though that you started this thread. I’m interested to see what LECOM focused on in interviewing their candidates.

Reactions: 1 users
I would be hesitant accepting an offer here. You're going to be the guinea pig at a brand-new school. I would recommend another school unless LECOM is your only option.

Members don't see this ad :)

I was wondering if anyone else is considering applying to LECOM? Or If anyone else has interviewed already?

It would be helpful to post any info you can about the program.

Reactions: 1 user

Apply DO schools if you can. Please!

• Dislike
If you MUST go to podiatry school, go wherever it's cheapest. There is more than enough commentary on the return on investment to your podiatric medical education, at least save a few bucks along the way. Some Dean is going to tell you "cheapest isn't always best." But this is podiatry school we're talking about, you'll get a DPM degree no matter where you choose to while away 4 years of living.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
If you MUST go to podiatry school, go wherever it's cheapest. There is more than enough commentary on the return on investment to your podiatric medical education, at least save a few bucks along the way. Some Dean is going to tell you "cheapest isn't always best." But this is podiatry school we're talking about, you'll get a DPM degree no matter where you choose to while away 4 years of living.
100 percent this.

Reactions: 2 users
If or when there is ever the possibility of a residency shortage again no one should go into podiatry school. The individual student matters much more than what school you went to.

Hi, I’m a little late to this but I just applied to LECOM (truly just submitted my application everywhere on Saturday) and got offered an interview. I think it’s really cool to be considered for the start of a program! I am really thinking of it as one of my top choices if all goes well. I’m not sure if you’ve decided on where you’re going, but do you mind sharing how your interview was?

Jumping on with the bump as well, LECOM is great DO school, is there real hesitation about their capabilities for podiatric training? Their DO school is also one of the cheapest in the country, the trend seems to be continued here, does it not?

I wonder if they have the same formal dress code as well for pods :)

• Haha
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Hi, I’m a little late to this but I just applied to LECOM (truly just submitted my application everywhere on Saturday) and got offered an interview. I think it’s really cool to be considered for the start of a program! I am really thinking of it as one of my top choices if all goes well. I’m not sure if you’ve decided on where you’re going, but do you mind sharing how your interview was?

Sorry, I totally forgot about this post.

Overall, I wasn’t a big fan. The info session didn’t have much, mostly just talked ab the history of LECOM and curriculum. It was very quick. However, I did learn that LECOM has rules such as a professional dress code in lecture, no beverages, etc. Also, they claim to guarantee you a residency placement.

PROS: tuition is cheaper than the rest + low COL in Erie PA.

My experience: my interviewer(s) gave me weird vibes, they were both rude & they didn’t seem like they wanted to be there (but it was early in the morning) The interview was approximately 10 mins long.

All of the questions that I was asked were “what would you do if…” scenarios and bunch of ethics questions (cheating, academic honesty).

I wasn’t asked anything specific about my application or myself. However, I was asked to name an intrinsic foot muscle, which i didn’t know what to say, as it caught me off guard.

I withdrew my application a few days after because i got accepted to my 1st choice with a great scholarship.

Unfortunately, my experience itself wasn’t good, BUT it was my personal experience!! Others may have had it totally different and loved LECOM.

However, Good luck to you! I wish you the best, if you have any other questions let me know. My advice would be to attend the school who gives you a good scholarship!

Jumping on with the bump as well, LECOM is great DO school, is there real hesitation about their capabilities for podiatric training? Their DO school is also one of the cheapest in the country, the trend seems to be continued here, does it not?

One pro about LECOM is that their tuition is cheaper than other pod schools, plus I’d assume the COL is cheaper as well in Erie.

From what I gathered, I’d say the concern about LECOM is if there is a need for another podiatry school.

Others in the forum may jump into this and give their thoughts

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
One pro about LECOM is that their tuition is cheaper than other pod schools, plus I’d assume the COL is cheaper as well in Erie.

From what I gathered, I’d say the concern about LECOM is if there is a need for another podiatry school.

Others in the forum may jump into this and give their thoughts

No matter how cheap the school is, your final tuition bill will still be greater than what the job market offers majority of grads after 7 years.

(a) The podiatry school there is entirely unnecessary.
(b) The area is already massively overserved with podiatry schools.
(c) LECOM isn't even pretending for a second they'll open new residencies to handle their students.
(d) Historic other schools have at least had the shame to lie and claim they'd create new residencies (they won't)
(e) LECOM has no history of having a podiatry school so who would even know what their capacity is?
(f) Oh actually wait. They do have a residency there. Its considered to be a garbage residency. It scrambled this year. Their new dean is the former director of the residency. He's on the record making deluded pronouncements over in the attending forum about how we can't shrink ourselves to prosperity. Except we are massively oversaturated as a profession with a terrible job market.
(g) Anyone who thinks they are going to enjoy being the inaugural class of a podiatry school is out of their mind. The last first graduating class of a podiatry school was Western and it occurred right when CPME required publishing outcomes. Western's outcome sheet was a mile long trying to explain their terrible performance. Its not all the students fault.
(h) LECOM is not cheap. Being a few thousand dollars cheaper in direct tuition compared to some of the other schools is not cheap because all the schools are massively overpriced. Its within a few thousand of everyone else. They are all $10,000+ a year more expensive than school was a few years ago even though salaries and the job market remains bleak. The Texas school is cheap. Can't disagree with that. Secondly, have you even looked at LECOMs tuition. They want $5000 extra dollars per student for 3rd and 4th year. Are you kidding me? I didn't set foot on campus for 4th year at DMU. I spoke to a staff member once to coordinate going to a funeral.

You will do what you want to do regardless of what I say. This thread really should just be about people's experience interviewing at LECOM, but some of what's being said is just to "meh". Cheap? Meh, not really. "Excitement at being first class". Meh, didn't serve the western kids well.

I think a lot of pre-pods ultimately end up with adversarial feelings towards attendings who respond negatively here. In 7 years you'll be our colleague and I have a bad feeling you will look back on pronation's comments as prognostic. Jokingly, this degree path is so long that by the time you can warn pre-pods about it you already resemble some sort of demented old person that young people don't want to believe or listen to.

Reactions: 11 users
LECOM opening a school is just another money grab in a profession full of money grabs... people gotta find ways to "get their's" because it's pretty difficult to do it in a legitimate way in podiatry.

Reactions: 5 users
LECOM is great DO school

Who told you this?
And just for kicks, the quality of residencies you can expect from LECOM:
1678583456738.png

We actively avoid them when applying for residencies

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
I think a lot of pre-pods ultimately end up with adversarial feelings towards attendings who respond negatively here. In 7 years you'll be our colleague and I have a bad feeling you will look back on pronation's comments as prognostic. Jokingly, this degree path is so long that by the time you can warn pre-pods about it you already resemble some sort of demented old person that young people don't want to believe or listen to.

I'm just a passerby that asked a couple questions. Thanks for answering them. I can't comment to all of the other stuff you guys are inferring that was absent from my post.

Who wants to be snowed in all the time? Over 100 inches of snow per year. #2 snowiest city in the US. No thanks.

Not to mention we all @ OCPM back in the day avoided our "Senior Experience" rotation there like the plague since it was atrocious.

I wanna hurl my entire physical existent whenever I hear, "But...there's more than enough residencies for everyone!!" Like look at the unfilled list, babe. +pissed+

Who wants to be snowed in all the time? Over 100 inches of snow per year. #2 snowiest city in the US. No thanks.

Not to mention we all @ OCPM back in the day avoided our "Senior Experience" rotation there like the plague since it was atrocious.
This is 2 OCPM fun facts I've learned in less than a week. A mandatory(?) Eerie rotation? A van trip to NYC for scrambling. Fascinating.

Millcreek used to do a summer 1st year rotation. A classmate of mine came back from it. They said they didn't want to talk about it and that they wouldn't be clerking there down the road.

This is 2 OCPM fun facts I've learned in less than a week. A mandatory(?) Eerie rotation? A van trip to NYC for scrambling. Fascinating.

Millcreek used to do a summer 1st year rotation. A classmate of mine came back from it. They said they didn't want to talk about it and that they wouldn't be clerking there down the road.
It was one of many we had to choose from.... your small senior medicine group drew straws, the last person to draw usually got that location.

Step 1, COMLEX, overall match rates, and US News for whatever that's worth. They are top 1 - 5 depending on which metric you fancy.

Not that that means anything for DO school.
This is what happened at my DO school:
1) Couple of guys show up in my graduation class's match list, matching at competitive surgical subspecialties. Nowhere is it captured that this was their 2nd/3rd attempt at it
2) Similar thing to exams. Some of our students didn't get to take comlex the year of our graduation because they didn't pass their COMATs. Somehow they crunched it up in a way that we all passed

You're probably right. I just never looked at DO school rankings, and I don't even know where to find this info. Maybe LECOM doesn't do any shady stuff. I just don't trust DO school stats/rankings and never will.

I wanna hurl my entire physical existent whenever I hear, "But...there's more than enough residencies for everyone!!" Like look at the unfilled list, babe. +pissed+
Bingo... THAT is truly the biggest negative aspect and dirty secret of podiatry:

There are only about 100 high quality residency spots... and maybe another 100 adequate training spots.
So, even though there are hundreds of residency hospitals and and ~500 "accredited" DPM residency spots, at least half of them are laughable.
"Everyone gets a three year residency now" is a misleading and damaging misconception by ad coms and APMA cronies.
Many residencies have high ABFAS in-training and board pass rates, but many others have almost 0% cert pass rate among alumni.
The percentage that are high quality DPM spots will only decrease as more spots are added to adjust for the new schools.
In the scramble, there are usually only 5 or 10 quality spots in most years. The rest are the worst of the worst.
Those are BIGtime problems that the schools, APMA, etc won't address...
It takes much time to make GOOD new programs (even without new schools/grads).
The only quasi-solution to the training disparity is to now to add fellowships (which was mostly ACFAS!), but fellowship that won't change specialty is largely superfluous and only takes cases/attendings away from residencies - many of whom didn't have enough to begin with!

...The usual suspect facts that the podiatry job market is ho-hum,
the ROI is questionable with very high tuitions,
the pod schools accept basically anyone,
the pod schools flunk out a good number and have 5 or 6 or 7+ year tracks,
that podiatry is the red headed stepchild of MD in some places, etc are common knowledge. Those are not good things, but they are known by nearly anyone who goes in with their eyes open.

The residency situation, on the other hand, is unfortunate and baaadly overlooked yet must be grasped and planned for by pre-pods, pod students, etc... one must know what they are undertaking and MUST make their own luck. Many do. Many others get blindsided. They were not necessarily dumb people or lazy people, but there are some very smart people in podiatry school... and just not enough good residency spots. I know I certainly didn't graduate #1 of my class.
... "C's make degrees" might work for MD. For podiatry, it's a recipe to end up failing boards and in NYC or VAMC nail jail that is called a "residency." :(

Last edited:
  • Care
IMO, applicants should avoid the newer schools if they have an acceptance at any of the originals. Before enrolling, the first-time pass rate for boards and the 4-year graduation rate are essential.

Reactions: 4 users

Overall, I wasn’t a big fan. The info session didn’t have much, mostly just talked ab the history of LECOM and curriculum. It was very quick. However, I did learn that LECOM has rules such as a professional dress code in lecture, no beverages, etc. Also, they claim to guarantee you a residency placement.

My experience: my interviewer(s) gave me weird vibes, they were both rude & they didn’t seem like they wanted to be there (but it was early in the morning) The interview was approximately 10 mins long.

All of the questions that I was asked were “what would you do if…” scenarios and bunch of ethics questions (cheating, academic honesty).

I wasn’t asked anything specific about my application or myself. However, I was asked to name an intrinsic foot muscle, which i didn’t know what to say, as it caught me off guard.

I withdrew my application a few days after because i got accepted to my 1st choice with a great scholarship.

Unfortunately, my experience itself wasn’t good, BUT it was my personal experience!! Others may have had it totally different and loved LECOM.

However, Good luck to you! I wish you the best, if you have any other questions let me know. My advice would be to attend the school who gives you a good scholarship!
Sorry I totally forgot I even replied to this post in the first place!

I just had my interview today and honestly my experience was very opposite, both of my interviewers were polite and smiley. If all goes well, they will most likely remain high on my list. But yes, a very short interview for me as well.

The dress code and overall strictness in the classroom was a bit shocking though. But it seemed like they really want the program and more importantly the students in it to succeed based on the early hands-on curriculum.

Thanks for your feedback!!! It’s nice to see fellow applicants on here :) and congrats to you!! Still waiting on other interviews and potential offers to make my decision.

I just had my interview today and honestly my experience was very opposite, both of my interviewers were polite and smiley. If all goes well, they will most likely remain high on my list. But yes, a very short interview for me as well.

The dress code and overall strictness in the classroom was a bit shocking though. But it seemed like they really want the program and more importantly the students in it to succeed based on the early hands-on curriculum.

Thanks for your feedback!!! It’s nice to see fellow applicants on here :) and congrats to you!! Still waiting on other interviews and potential offers to make my decision.
You never want to be a guinea pig student for a new school. Using this analogy, would you ever want to buy the first model year of a new car?

You never want to be a guinea pig student for a new school. Using this analogy, would you ever want to buy the first model year of a new car?
We can preach all day but in the end there's something at play here that we can't overcome.

There's a wonderful term in relationships called "Limerence". Poor man's definition - but limerence is the insane bonding at the beginning of a relationship when you are getting to know a partner, they can do no wrong, everything is wonderful and maybe/hopefully you have sex a lot.

That's what I equate podiatry admissions to. You have a person who is desperate to be a doctor. They have very likely been rejected by medical schools. Its in fact entirely possible though they always knew they weren't a good candidate for medical school and were just putting in the hours knowing that when they graduated it was never going to happen. And then bam - this desperate school on the verge of financial collapse is accepting them and telling them they are amazing and are going to be a doctor and a surgeon. Suddenly, someone wants you and all your dreams are going to come true and life is grand. Podiatry school is the answer to your prayers and dreams. Except it isn't

Who are we to oppose this new found love.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Dislike
Reactions: 9 users
IMO, applicants should avoid the newer schools if they have an acceptance at any of the originals. Before enrolling, the first-time pass rate for boards and the 4-year graduation rate are essential.
Probably the best advice so far I've seen in pre-pod subforum. Nothing against the new schools, but it's a lot safer not being a guinea pig with >$300k on the line.

1. Lol no beverages in lecture.
2. Lol professional dress code in lecture.
3. Lol guaranteed residency placement.
4. Lol name an intrinsic foot muscle.

Sounds like an absolute nightmare. You dodged a bullet.

Probably the best advice so far I've seen in pre-pod subforum. Nothing against the new schools, but it's a lot safer not being a guinea pig with >$300k on the line.

1. Lol no beverages in lecture.
2. Lol professional dress code in lecture.
3. Lol guaranteed residency placement.
4. Lol name an intrinsic foot muscle.

Sounds like an absolute nightmare. You dodged a bullet.

That’s what I’m saying. Red flags everywhere

I’m glad you enjoyed your interview. Good luck!

Bingo... THAT is truly the biggest negative aspect and dirty secret of podiatry:

There are only about 100 high quality residency spots... and maybe another 100 adequate training spots.
So, even though there are hundreds of residency hospitals and and ~500 "accredited" DPM residency spots, at least half of them are laughable.
"Everyone gets a three year residency now" is a misleading and damaging misconception by ad coms and APMA cronies.
Many residencies have high ABFAS in-training and board pass rates, but many others have almost 0% cert pass rate among alumni.
The percentage that are high quality DPM spots will only decrease as more spots are added to adjust for the new schools.
In the scramble, there are usually only 5 or 10 quality spots in most years. The rest are the worst of the worst.
Those are BIGtime problems that the schools, APMA, etc won't address...
It takes much time to make GOOD new programs (even without new schools/grads).
The only quasi-solution to the training disparity is to now to add fellowships (which was mostly ACFAS!), but fellowship that won't change specialty is largely superfluous and only takes cases/attendings away from residencies - many of whom didn't have enough to begin with!

...The usual suspect facts that the podiatry job market is ho-hum,
the ROI is questionable with very high tuitions,
the pod schools accept basically anyone,
the pod schools flunk out a good number and have 5 or 6 or 7+ year tracks,
that podiatry is the red headed stepchild of MD in some places, etc are common knowledge. Those are not good things, but they are known by nearly anyone who goes in with their eyes open.

The residency situation, on the other hand, is unfortunate and baaadly overlooked yet must be grasped and planned for by pre-pods, pod students, etc... one must know what they are undertaking and MUST make their own luck. Many do. Many others get blindsided. They were not necessarily dumb people or lazy people, but there are some very smart people in podiatry school... and just not enough good residency spots. I know I certainly didn't graduate #1 of my class.
... "C's make degrees" might work for MD. For podiatry, it's a recipe to end up failing boards and in NYC or VAMC nail jail that is called a "residency." :(
Oh you know it would be great. Requiring residencies to publish data like what percentage of their graduates are abfas board certified within a certain amount of time. Also requiring fellowships to publish that but more importantly what jobs people are taking. But none of it matters who cares

You're probably right. I just never looked at DO school rankings, and I don't even know where to find this info. Maybe LECOM doesn't do any shady stuff. I just don't trust DO school stats/rankings and never will.

That's the type of stuff I hear about often in the Carribbean, how they have a "95% USMLE pass rate". But the attrition is terrible, and you have to pass an exam in order to sit for the USMLE.

DO schools don't have bad attrition, so the stats should be very accurate. Perhaps the students did need to take another year (I have no idea), but let's not kid ourselves that MD schools don't play any games either.

This is meant as additive not argumentative, I can respect your opinion.

I just got an interview invite from Lecom DPM. Is there a chance of still getting a seat?

I just got an interview invite from Lecom DPM. Is there a chance of still getting a seat?
I would be hesitant accepting an offer here. You're going to be the guinea pig at a brand-new school. I would recommend another school unless LECOM is your only option.
I think you still could get a seat at LECOM, but the question be "should you go to LECOM"

• Wow
  • Care
I’m going with yes. The only school I’ve heard of in the last 3 years that has filled all their seats is DMU-CPMS. With this being an inaugural class, I would bet there are likely still seats available.

Good luck!

• Hmm
I have never shadowed a podiatrist. This field is fairly new to me. I know I want to do something in medicine but my MCAT score is too low to get into a DO/MD program. I have been searching stuff up regarding podiatry but everything i’m reading doesn’t make sense. Some say its a great field and they would do it all over again and then some say they don’t like it. Also, the salary for a podiatrist ranges from 68K-300K how does that even make sense. Will I be able to pay back my loans? Also is residency 2 years or 3 years? I’m just really confused and got an acceptance into LECOM but they have given me only 5 days to decide to accept or decline. Any help/advice would be great!!!!!!

• Care
I have never shadowed a podiatrist. This field is fairly new to me. I know I want to do something in medicine but my MCAT score is too low to get into a DO/MD program. I have been searching stuff up regarding podiatry but everything i’m reading doesn’t make sense. Some say its a great field and they would do it all over again and then some say they don’t like it. Also, the salary for a podiatrist ranges from 68K-300K how does that even make sense. Will I be able to pay back my loans? Also is residency 2 years or 3 years? I’m just really confused and got an acceptance into LECOM but they have given me only 5 days to decide to accept or decline. Any help/advice would be great!!!!!!

You should probably read the resident/attending forum to get a better glimpse into the profession…

• Dislike
You should shadow as many podiatrists as possible. That range in salary is due to the job market. Some people take contracts where their base salary is 70k they hope that incentives will bring them up to 6 figures. Others like myself take hospital jobs which can start between 200 to 300. Some of us do surgery some of us don't. Residency is a combo of podiatric surgery and podiatric medicine and it is 3 years for everyone now.

Last edited:
Others like myself take hospital jobs which can start between 200 to 300.

I highly recommend for everyone to take a look at job search websites to see how many of these types of jobs are available in the entire country and then consider that we graduate 400-700 new podiatrists every year. The alternative is being a private practice associate - feel free to email the practice and ask them how much the pay is for an associate. I can tell you the range is generally somewhere from 80-120k, with mediocre benefits. If this is inaccurate, somebody here can call me out on it. Consider the likelihood of making 120k after accruing 300k debt.

Status
Not open for further replies.