interviewed versed accepted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gibna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you get an interview for an MD/PhD spot in medical school, what is your chance in getting in?
I mean for MD programs its around 50%, but there are no sites that tell you your chances if you are interviewing for an MD/PhD spot.
Any input will be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

There a few websites that give some statistics in the sticky FAQ thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64282 (see Schools that post accepted student stats)

My impression from this data and personal experience is that the acceptance rate varies from 30% - 50%. At Penn we tend to accept around 40 out of 100 interviewed.

I think your number for the percentage of MDs accepted post-interview is a bit high, but then again it does depend alot on the school in the question.

Some places that I interviewed had quite high acceptance rates (nearly 70%) others had very low acceptance rates (1 person in a group of 15).

It all depends on their recruiting strategy. Some places with programs of comparable size have nearly ten interview days while others near and dear to my heart have only three.

Members don't see this ad :)
hahahhahah!

"while others near and dear to my heart have only three"

word. :laugh:

perhaps it should read:

versed ----> interviewed = accepted

Sorry - stupid pharm joke. Couldn't resist.

P

that's good to hear, I thought they give everyone MD/PhD interviews as long as you get an MD one.

Originally posted by gibna
that's good to hear, I thought they give everyone MD/PhD interviews as long as you get an MD one.

No, this is not true. Typically the MD/PhD committee reviews your file and from there you get a MD/PhD interview or put in the MD pile for the MD commitee to consider you (or rejected outright, depending on the school). Your MD/PhD interview then may or may not include MD interviews for later consideration by the MD program.