Interviewer/adcom told me I need a masters program... Do I really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I Want Food

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well if you do well in the Masters program, it can only help. Your GPA (BCP) is on the lower side but I think it's "enough" to gain acceptance. I think its really up to you, and how you feel about it.

You can apply early this cycle and apply to more schools. I would say you would get some more interviews/acceptances especially with the DAT boost. Perhaps if money isn't a tremendous issue, you could enroll in the masters program and also apply. Therefore, schools can elect to choose and wait for your Fall semester grades.

I think you're fine. According to a couple stories I've heard on this forum, MWU AZ sounds like they are starting to be snobby and look for pretty high stats and super early applicants. If I remember correctly one applicant talked with the dean at a convention or something and he basically said if you don't have a 3.7 or 3.8 and 20 they don't even look at your app. Apply early and be smart about your schools - check out the 'which schools should I apply to' sticky thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the story :)

I applied in June with the following:

cGPA 3.51
sGPA 3.3
BCP 3.0
18AA/19TS/18PAT

I received 3 pre-dec interviews out of 18 schools: ASDOH, LECOM, MWU-AZ. I was rejected at ASDOH and wait-listed at the other two schools. My interviewer (also on the ad com) from MWU-AZ called me one day and was confused and thought I was in their Masters program and was waiting for the grades to accept me. However, I was not in the Master's program... and after clearing up that confusion with him, he said that I have no chance for this current cycle and told me that if I was serious about dental school.. I should enroll into any 1-year Master's program with a biology focus.

My question is, do I really, really need it to get accepted when I reapply? Because....

I retook my DAT in March and now have a 20AA/20TS/22PAT. My GPAs also went up:

cGPA 3.59
sGPA 3.46
BCP 3.18

If it didn't cost so much to enroll into a Master's degree, I would not hesitate to go. I just got accepted to the 1-year program at MWU-AZ and have until the 11th to decide. If I do well in it, I am guaranteed an interview (linkage). Any feedback appreciated! Thanks! :)

MWU and ASDOH seem like pretty hard schools to gain admission to. I applied to MWU and they emailed me to send in my secondary application (with a fee of course), to which I received a declined. This was because my GPA was not at least a 3.6. This is what was said in their email to me. I thought that was pretty harsh, so I can imagine they may give you a hard time about your GPA.
Other than that, the masters program couldn't hurt, granted you maintain your current trend of GPA. I would say that with your current scores you should be able to get in, but I suppose each school is different. Stick with your EC's and shadowing to show the adcoms this is what you want and you should be fine.
Good luck!

P.S. You could always come out to Buffalo like Tothepark and myself ! :cool:

I think you're fine. According to a couple stories I've heard on this forum, MWU AZ sounds like they are starting to be snobby and look for pretty high stats and super early applicants. If I remember correctly one applicant talked with the dean at a convention or something and he basically said if you don't have a 3.7 or 3.8 and 20 they don't even look at your app. Apply early and be smart about your schools - check out the 'which schools should I apply to' sticky thread.

I second this. After paying my secondary app fee, MWU declined me right away. I contacted the dean to ask why they even sent me a secondary app if I didn't meet their "qualifications", he said that it is out of his control and I was out my $75 or something like that.
Just wish they would have said something about their GPA minimum on the web so that I didn't waste money applying to them.:confused:

If an adcom tells you that you need a Masters program to get accepted, then yes, you probably do need to do one IF you intend on going to that particular school. However, I would strongly urge you to reconsider your school selection.
I don't like these 1 year Masters programs that are designed strictly as a money making program for schools and GPA boosters for students seeking professional school admission. I don't think 1 year of inflated grades should trump 4 years of undergrad work. Plus, it's really not worth it in my opinion to add another 30K+ of student debt and waste at least another year taking classes that you'll just retake again in dental school.
In any case, you have strong stats, especially after your recent DAT retake. I'd just look at different schools if you need to apply again. There are plenty of places that would be happy to take you without a Masters degree. You'd be better off getting real world work experience and making money or doing other things to make your application stronger next year.

What are you doing during the app cycle this year if you don't do the masters? Is this the $35K masters? That's a lot of cash for just one interview...if you maintain a GPA. Good work on boosting GPAs and DAT. Stats are vital components, of course. But I'm wondering what else you can add to the app that might increase odds with other programs. BCP is the obvious hiccup. I'm not implying ECs are more important than stats. Just wondering what your options are.

I really think early and broad applying will probably land some interviews. But you don't want to be idle while trying to make sure you get in this cycle.

Here's the story :)

I applied in June with the following:

cGPA 3.51
sGPA 3.3
BCP 3.0
18AA/19TS/18PAT

I received 3 pre-dec interviews out of 18 schools: ASDOH, LECOM, MWU-AZ. I was rejected at ASDOH and wait-listed at the other two schools. My interviewer (also on the ad com) from MWU-AZ called me one day and was confused and thought I was in their Masters program and was waiting for the grades to accept me. However, I was not in the Master's program... and after clearing up that confusion with him, he said that I have no chance for this current cycle and told me that if I was serious about dental school.. I should enroll into any 1-year Master's program with a biology focus.

My question is, do I really, really need it to get accepted when I reapply? Because....

I retook my DAT in March and now have a 20AA/20TS/22PAT. My GPAs also went up:

cGPA 3.59
sGPA 3.46
BCP 3.18

If it didn't cost so much to enroll into a Master's degree, I would not hesitate to go. I just got accepted to the 1-year program at MWU-AZ and have until the 11th to decide. If I do well in it, I am guaranteed an interview (linkage). Any feedback appreciated! Thanks! :)

Wow that seems crazy to me that they would tell you to get a MS. What other schools did you apply to? Did you apply to your state school? A rep from MWU came to my pre dent class about 4 weeks ago and she did not rep the school very well. I understand that the school is good but she made a bad impression. She said that when I apply( next cycle) that they expect the avg DAT to be 21 :scared: and now there is talk of 3.8+...... Watch out Harvard :laugh:

I second this. After paying my secondary app fee, MWU declined me right away. I contacted the dean to ask why they even sent me a secondary app if I didn't meet their "qualifications", he said that it is out of his control and I was out my $75 or something like that.
Just wish they would have said something about their GPA minimum on the web so that I didn't waste money applying to them.:confused:

Just fyi, many schools send you a secondary application/fee before they even look at your main app and stats. It doesn't matter if you were "qualified" enough for a secondary. They all just want more money. Its not only Midwestern that does this.

And to OP:
I would apply one more time with your new stats. You DAT score is pretty good and so is your science/overall GPA. BCP is low so I would take some upper level sciences next year and do volunteering/working. If you don't get in anywhere again, go masters.

Last edited:

Just fyi, many schools send you a secondary application/fee before they even look at your main app and stats. It doesn't matter if you were "qualified" enough for a secondary. They all just want more money. Its not only Midwestern that does this.

I'm catching what you are throwing, however, my point is why don't they provide a "minimum" GPA number on their website. The dean of the school said they did not even look at my app because my GPA was not a 3.6 or higher. I'm just saying that it was a waste of around 200 bucks just for MWU to say I don't have a 3.6 GPA. Kind of silly isn't it?

I'm catching what you are throwing, however, my point is why don't they provide a "minimum" GPA number on their website. The dean of the school said they did not even look at my app because my GPA was not a 3.6 or higher. I'm just saying that it was a waste of around 200 bucks just for MWU to say I don't have a 3.6 GPA. Kind of silly isn't it?
It's all about the money, lebowski. Kinda sad that schools want ethical applicants, but when it comes to money their own ethics are out the window. Once they have your money, they could care less and just send you the rejection letter. If they weren't going to consider you in the first place, they shouldn't be asking for more money. Buncha asses.

Some schools screen for bare minimum requirements to send a secondary. It's not just MWU. What's MWU's listed minimum GPA? 2.75? Of course that wouldn't fly for admissions unless you had a 2.75 undergrad with a 4.0 masters and monster DAT scores or something ridiculous.

Some schools screen for bare minimum requirements to send a secondary. It's not just MWU. What's MWU's listed minimum GPA? 2.75? Of course that wouldn't fly for admissions unless you had a 2.75 undergrad with a 4.0 masters and monster DAT scores or something ridiculous.

I applied, they sent me a secondary with a fee to apply. I applied and they said my GPA is under 3.6 and therefore they did not even look at my app. Apparently their minimum is a 3.6.

Didn't mean to highjack the thread, so to the OP, your numbers are fine, it seems though that the school is hard to get in to. So look into your options in other schools. If MWU is your dream school then do your best to get in and I am sure you will earn your spot.
Good luck again!

I applied, they sent me a secondary with a fee to apply. I applied and they said my GPA is under 3.6 and therefore they did not even look at my app. Apparently their minimum is a 3.6.

Not saying I support the fees or anything. But you know their 3.6 isn't their minimum or they wouldn't have a range of GPAs that reaches into the 2's for science and overall or a mean that is less than 3.6. I don't know how else schools with thousands of apps can do it. You can't actually review a whole file of that many apps in a reasonable amount of time. And if you actually screen for a 3.6 to even look at an application, you're left with a tiny pool of applicants that would probably leave out some really good applicants. I know they told you it was your 3.6, but I find it hard to believe that was the absolute only reason they refused to look at your app or secondary.

OP, sorry for going on a fee tangent. My original thoughts were posted earlier.

Your on the border line....retake dat& apply to private schools.

If u want to get into state, do another year of masters& apply again

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Hey everyone, thanks for all of your help :) :) :) With living expenses and everything, it would be ~50K to enroll into the MWU-AZ MA program. After reading all your responses, it seems the best route is to apply with what I have and not enroll into a Masters program... at least for this coming application cycle. I'm already graduated from a University with a biology major... so I plan to continue helping my parents out with their business during the year I have off. I've been working full-time for them since college started. Have I been accepted for this fall, they would of sold their business.

Thanks again everyone!