interviewers, Can you give me any advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorbettyrock

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
All you med school interviewers out there, what impresses you about an applicant? Please give me some feedback... (I'm worried about my interview). Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

All you med school interviewers out there, what impresses you about an applicant? Please give me some feedback... (I'm worried about my interview). Thanks a lot!

You should ask someone who is an admissions committee member. Go ask adcomm or Lizzy M in the adcom-sticky thread. It is on the top of this site!

Members don't see this ad :)
You are probably better off asking this question on the Allopathic student forums, since they are actual medical students. :)

You are probably better off asking this question on the Allopathic student forums, since they are actual medical students. :)

Right... because the allo forum is designed for premeds and their concerns?

First of all: If you made it to the interview stage, chances are your academic credentials are adequate - do not worry about those as much at this point.

Here's the deal on the interview, from a student interviewer perspective:
As far as I'm concerned, the feedback I submit about you is centered around the question, "is this someone I would want as a classmate // someone I would like to work with?" There are a lot of different qualities that come to mind in answering this question. Obviously competence and confidence are important. But so too are humility, sincerity, and a sense of humor.

What do I like to see in an applicant? Passion and a genuine motivation. Realistic expectations (I often ask, "what do you expect med school/your future in medicine to be like?") and sincere answers. I absolutely hate it when interviewee responses sound rehearsed or otherwise artificial/contrived. Other things I like to see are good eye contact, good communication skills, and some demonstration of how the applicant is interested in my school.

My advice? Just be yourself, be honest, be humble, and RELAX. This is true of the faculty interview as well. Smile. Establish rapport.

------

(edit) PS - I can't say much of the faculty interview, but I would venture that they look for very similar traits and I would guess they tend to center their evaluation around the question "Is this someone I would trust the healthcare of my loved one to?"

No, because there are more medical students there than here, which is the public to which he was directing the question.

First of all: If you made it to the interview stage, chances are your academic credentials are adequate - do not worry about those as much at this point.

Here's the deal on the interview, from a student interviewer perspective:
As far as I'm concerned, the feedback I submit about you is centered around the question, "is this someone I would want as a classmate // someone I would like to work with?" There are a lot of different qualities that come to mind in answering this question. Obviously competence and confidence are important. But so too are humility, sincerity, and a sense of humor.

What do I like to see in an applicant? Passion and a genuine motivation. Realistic expectations (I often ask, "what do you expect med school/your future in medicine to be like?) and sincere answers. I absolutely hate it when interviewee responses sound rehearsed or otherwise artificial/contrived. Other things I like to see are good eye contact, good communication skills, and some demonstration of how the applicant is interested in my school.

My advice? Just be yourself, be honest, be humble, and RELAX. This is true of the faculty interview as well. Smile. Establish rapport.

------

(edit) PS - I can't say much of the faculty interview, but I would venture that they look for very similar traits and I would guess they tend to center their evaluation around the question "Is this someone I would trust the healthcare of my loved one to?"

Thank-you so much for your input! It sounds like great advice :)

No, because there are more medical students there than here, which is the public to which he was directing the question.

Let's have a look at what the forum descriptions say, shall we?

"Pre-Allopathic [ MD ] (318 Viewing)
Premedical student discussion forum"

"Allopathic (87 Viewing)
MD student topics. For current medical students."

I stand by what I said - preallo concerns belong in the preallo forum. You can still get advice from current med students in the preallo forum. We do come over here from time to time.

Let's have a look at what the forum descriptions say, shall we?

"Pre-Allopathic [ MD ] (318 Viewing)
Premedical student discussion forum"

"Allopathic (87 Viewing)
MD student topics. For current medical students."

I stand by what I said - preallo concerns belong in the preallo forum. You can still get advice from current med students in the preallo forum. We do come over here from time to time.

Okay, a mistake. Is it that big of a deal? Calm down. Did the Allopathic forum explode when he posted? I'm betting it didn't.

Well, most of us in this forum are premeds, like you, or rising MS-1's. There are some med students and adcoms who visit, too. That being said, here's my take on interviews, as someone who has given them in a professional setting:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=4884673

I've interviewed a few prospective students. What I'm interested in most is how well you conduct yourself, how you respond to questions (not necessarily content), and how you relate to others, including me. At the interview stage, your numbers are obviously good enough. Now, it's time to show that you are going to get along with others and are prepared to enter a lifelong career of non-stop learning.

I've interviewed a few prospective students. What I'm interested in most is how well you conduct yourself, how you respond to questions (not necessarily content), and how you relate to others, including me. At the interview stage, your numbers are obviously good enough. Now, it's time to show that you are going to get along with others and are prepared to enter a lifelong career of non-stop learning.

I just wondered if you could elaborate on how the applicant should respond to questions. Are you saying that content is not as important?