When schools give you short essays: Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc.Junior

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A school that used to have no limit just reduced their word count to around 150--one of the shortest I've seen (of 20 schools, only 1 or 2 had lengths this short). I was preparing for something much longer :( This caused me to stop and think: what is a school expecting from us when they set their essay length as short?

I feel like there's not much opportunity to really build anything; seems more like just listing stats/factoids that you don't get to elaborate on. Personally, I feel this sets folks at a disadvantage if they were hoping to enhance their app through the personal information, over and above MCAT/GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

A school that used to have no limit just reduced their word count to around 150--one of the shortest I've seen (of 20 schools, only 1 or 2 had lengths this short). I was preparing for something much longer :( This caused me to stop and think: what is a school expecting from us when they set their essay length as short?

I feel like there's not much opportunity to really build anything; seems more like just listing stats/factoids that you don't get to elaborate on. Personally, I feel this sets folks at a disadvantage if they were hoping to enhance their app through the personal information, over and above MCAT/GPA.
They're expecting you to be able to communicate ideas in a short amount of time and space. I E expect you to communicate concisely

Reactions: 4 users

Concision.

What's the prompt(s)?