Interviewing at KCUMB next week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jkhamlin

Joe Cool Attending
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any KCUMB students have advice for interviewing? I am interviewing on the 22nd for the new fast track master's degree program with contingent admission to the med school. Any help would be great!

Members don't see this ad.

jkhamlin said:
Any KCUMB students have advice for interviewing? I am interviewing on the 22nd for the new fast track master's degree program with contingent admission to the med school. Any help would be great!

Be yourself!!!!!!!!! The hard part is over, you have the interview. Answer all the question truthfully. I interviewed at a few places and they seemed the most laid back. Go look at the interview feedback and go with confidence. You should be fine. Good luck.

N.O. Shane said:
Be yourself!!!!!!!!! The hard part is over, you have the interview. Answer all the question truthfully. I interviewed at a few places and they seemed the most laid back. Go look at the interview feedback and go with confidence. You should be fine. Good luck.
Hey, thanks for answering. It really helps at least as moral support. I was beginning to think that no one cared. :( I am glad to hear that KCUMB is laid back. I kind of got that impression from the interview feedback, although I am not sure how it applies to the new program.
I used to be good at being myself. I had a former career as an insurance agent, and I found that all of the bs that they tell you to say to people was worthless and that just being yourself and talking to people like you mean to have a decent, polite, mature conversation (and even use a little tactful humor) works best. I technically interviewed for a "job" several times a day. But recently, I was burned pretty bad by the premed committee at the university I attend, so I am really apprehensive about next Tuesday's interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I guess I must not have come across this post. Don't worry about the interview at all! I interviewed there, and from what I know, they accept generally 80% of their candidates post-interview. Like N.O. Shane said, the most important thing is to be yourself. They know that you're academically fit to handle the curriculum, and now the interview is for your personality to come through and shine away. The interviewers are super-friendly, and all but one person I know on that interview day had zero ethical questions. It's all about you. You'll do fine. Don't sweat it.

Those that have to do with Financial Aid? If it does it just has to do with the loans you will need to get for school. Other than that I would have no clue. Are you feeling better about your interview? Good luck.

N.O. Shane said:
Those that have to do with Financial Aid? If it does it just has to do with the loans you will need to get for school. Other than that I would have no clue. Are you feeling better about your interview? Good luck.
I'm not sure what it is. I saw another student's profile on MDapplicants that said she withdrew her app from there because they do a credit check. I checked their web site and found this:
Accepted applicants must provide assurance, prior to the start of first-year classes, that funding for tuition and budgeted living expenses are covered for the entire educational program. Therefore, a stipulation of matriculation obligates an accepted applicant to authorize UHS to obtain a current credit report. A Credit Authorization Form will be provided to each accepted applicant by the Admissions Office. The Finance Department, as a service to the applicant, will evaluate his/her ability to provide funding/obtain loans. This authorization will be in effect for the duration of your education at UHS-COM.​
A couple of years ago my credit was so bad people wouldn't take my cash. :D I am working on it, but it still isn't "good" yet. It would be ridiculous if I got in, but couldn't go because I am poor.
I am feeling better about my interview. I had a chat with one of my favorite profs about it (he taught Histo at U of Iowa med school). He helped alot, but I do have a meeting tomorrow with the chair of the premed committee that burned me. :scared:

The credit check is just to see how likely you are to get approved for a private loan to cover living expenses beyond your Stafford Loan. Mainly they do this to prevent you from having to choose b/w buying books and eating. If you aren't likely to be approved then the financial aid department will let you know and discuss alternate funding options with you. It will not affect your acceptance at all.
All of these questions will be answered in detail on your interview day. The people in the financial Aid dept. are really nice, and they see your situation all the time. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Try to relax.
jkhamlin said:
I'm not sure what it is. I saw another student's profile on MDapplicants that said she withdrew her app from there because they do a credit check. I checked their web site and found this:
Accepted applicants must provide assurance, prior to the start of first-year classes, that funding for tuition and budgeted living expenses are covered for the entire educational program. Therefore, a stipulation of matriculation obligates an accepted applicant to authorize UHS to obtain a current credit report. A Credit Authorization Form will be provided to each accepted applicant by the Admissions Office. The Finance Department, as a service to the applicant, will evaluate his/her ability to provide funding/obtain loans. This authorization will be in effect for the duration of your education at UHS-COM.​
A couple of years ago my credit was so bad people wouldn't take my cash. :D I am working on it, but it still isn't "good" yet. It would be ridiculous if I got in, but couldn't go because I am poor.
I am feeling better about my interview. I had a chat with one of my favorite profs about it (he taught Histo at U of Iowa med school). He helped alot, but I do have a meeting tomorrow with the chair of the premed committee that burned me. :scared:

Yes, they are making sure you can cover the costs of tuition and living expenses for the year. When I inquired about this, I was told that if you have bad credit you can do two things: The first being that you have around 40K in a bank account for the 4 years of school and the second is have a co-signer. The 40K is for 4 years of the D.O. program. I wouldn't worry much if you have a co-signer. You definately can worry about that later. I know someone that was told he should not apply to med school and to find another career. He is currently in his second year. What others think can be B.S. Don't sweat that stuff. You will become a physician with perseverance.

daveyboy said:
The credit check is just to see how likely you are to get approved for a private loan to cover living expenses beyond your Stafford Loan. Mainly they do this to prevent you from having to choose b/w buying books and eating. If you aren't likely to be approved then the financial aid department will let you know and discuss alternate funding options with you. It will not affect your acceptance at all.
All of these questions will be answered in detail on your interview day. The people in the financial Aid dept. are really nice, and they see your situation all the time. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Try to relax.
That's good to hear. Thanks for clearing that up for me; it'll be a little easier to relax now. ;)
As for private loans though, I have heard that once you get in, lenders like you a lot more than if you're just some undergrad schmuck. Does this have an element of truth?

N.O. Shane said:
The first being that you have around 40K in a bank account for the 4 years of school
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:How many people with shaky credit have that? Man, if I had that I would have outstanding credit!
N.O. Shane said:
and the second is have a co-signer.
Nope, don't have that either. I hope that daveyboy's comments are more applicable to my situation.

For your interview, just relax...if they interview you then they really like you...I'm not sure if I"m delayed, but I just saw this post...as for the Master's program...have no idea...they already changed the school name...I'm not sure if they show the facilities, I think they'll use Smith Hall for your classroom.

daveyboy said:

Well, the interview went well, but I got the same old financial aid BS. "Get a cosigner." Yeah, like people are just lining up to cosign for me. "Get a private loan." Yeah, like someone who is broke and has been a student for the last few years has that kind of credit. If I were rich enough to have good credit, then I would be rich enough to foot the bill myself. :rolleyes: The financial aid department is just like any undergrad financial aid department: full of non answers that anyone could have thought of on their own if they were actually viable ideas in the first place. +pissed+