Interviewing for a waitlist ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IUth21

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last year when my roommate was applying to medical school, he received an interview at a school late around march since he applied late and he told me he was basically interviewing for a waitlist since all the spots for the class had filled. I was wondering if someone applies early, and gets an interview early on, is it still possible that they are not interviewing for an acceptance, and the school has decided that they are a waitlist candidate, because i have read a lot of interview feedback where the interview went excellent but the person still gets waitlisted. In my opinion schools interview and waitlist too many people. Whats the point of going to an interview if you have no shot at getting an acceptance. Also I was reading Vandys information and they waitlist like 600 people out of 900 interviews, and only 24 get off the waitlist. Why not just give a rejection if the applicant has no chance of getting off the waitlist, instead of leaving them hanging. Sorry just had to vent.

Members don't see this ad.

Because if you don't interview, chance of admission = 0%
If you interview, chance of admission > 0%

I was wondering if someone applies early, and gets an interview early on, is it still possible that they are not interviewing for an acceptance, and the school has decided that they are a waitlist candidate, because i have read a lot of interview feedback where the interview went excellent but the person still gets waitlisted.
The only reason for this is because an interviewee cannot be objective about how their interview went. You will also find people who thought it went horribly and got in. Plus its not just the interview - its the whole file, and maybe when you went to the interview you didn't complement your file well. All sorts of things can happen but mostly, people just can't really tell how their interview went. Even when someone tells them they'll "defiitely get in."

In my opinion schools interview and waitlist too many people. Whats the point of going to an interview if you have no shot at getting an acceptance. Also I was reading Vandys information and they waitlist like 600 people out of 900 interviews, and only 24 get off the waitlist. Why not just give a rejection if the applicant has no chance of getting off the waitlist, instead of leaving them hanging. Sorry just had to vent.
This gives the school more choices to choose from later - and at least you have a chance. I would personally rather be left hanging all summer at the chance of getting in, than not even get waitlisted in the first place.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my first acceptance from a school where I interviewed for the waitlist. It's not ideal, but it was certainly better than not going :)