Interviewing in February -- interviewing for the waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hubbsbubbs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A school reached out with very limited dates, and I'm hesitant to pick the only date that doesn't conflict with my work schedule, which is in February.

For interviews that late in the season, are we basically interviewing for waitlist spots?

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the school. Some are more intentional about leaving spots open that late. Others not so much. I'm doing the same thing so hopefully it's not for WL positions.

entirely school dependent. remember even people who interview the first day can/will get rejected or waitlisted.

Members don't see this ad :)
A school reached out with very limited dates, and I'm hesitant to pick the only date that doesn't conflict with my work schedule, which is in February.

For interviews that late in the season, are we basically interviewing for waitlist spots?

February? Probably not.
Interviews in late April? Without a doubt, yes.

I heard back from February interviews in late March/early April, which would definitely be nice to get an acceptance if you haven't already gotten one.

Reactions: 1 user
Schools rarely interview for the WL. Guidelines from AAMC/AMCAS require schools by March 15th to only have offered the number of acceptances equal to the number of first year seats. This is why even with rolling admissions, some schools are very stingy with acceptances before March 1st or so, will put people on the WL early in the cycle, or leave applicants on hold in limbo for months.
Traffic rule#4: "By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS."

There is no limit to the number of offers that can be made.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users