interviewing in your hometown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

argonana

SDN Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
do private, highly selective schools give a hoot whether an applicant was born and raised in the area?

i'm interviewing at a school in my hometown soon. it's my top choice for personal as well as academic reasons. would it be appropriate to emphasize how much i like and hope to return to this area, give back to the community, train and work in the hospitals where some of my family members received really critical care, etc. in an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

argonana said:
do private, highly selective schools give a hoot whether an applicant was born and raised in the area?

i'm interviewing at a school in my hometown soon. it's my top choice for personal as well as academic reasons. would it be appropriate to emphasize how much i like and hope to return to this area, give back to the community, train and work in the hospitals where some of my family members received really critical care, etc. in an interview?

I would say it's completely appropriate, as many applicants cite location as a reason for choosing a medical school. Of course, just make sure you also emphasize things that you like about the school - curriculum, student body, etc.

private schools tend to learn towards residents, but are not necessarily bounded by the same restrictions as public schools (having to accept so and so % instate resident).