Interviewing Tips?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Amrazzz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently offered an interview for an early assurance program at my university, and I have to say it went HORRENDOUS - won't be surprised if I am not selected, but who knows?

I felt like I had prepared enough for it, but when the time came, I felt myself choking and being affected by the pressure. As you could probably tell, I'm not the kind of person that can persuade somebody with words, but rather, with my actions - I have the grades, research, volunteer experience, leadership (yes, kind of paradoxical right?), and some other generic pre-med activities. Being a reserved person, it is hard for me to firmly convey my desires, thoughts, and goals to people and as a result, impress interviewers.

This may be a bit silly, but what are ways to effectively communicate during interviews without epically F#@$ing up?

English is also my second language so...

Members don't see this ad.

Practice. Interviewing is an art that requires practice. I personally learned a lot from my interviews, and felt that in each I did better than the last... there just is a learning curve, so don't despair and keep an open mind!

I was recently offered an interview for an early assurance program at my university, and I have to say it went HORRENDOUS - won't be surprised if I am not selected, but who knows?

I felt like I had prepared enough for it, but when the time came, I felt myself choking and being affected by the pressure. As you could probably tell, I'm not the kind of person that can persuade somebody with words, but rather, with my actions - I have the grades, research, volunteer experience, leadership (yes, kind of paradoxical right?), and some other generic pre-med activities. Being a reserved person, it is hard for me to firmly convey my desires, thoughts, and goals to people and as a result, impress interviewers.

This may be a bit silly, but what are ways to effectively communicate during interviews without epically F#@$ing up?

English is also my second language so...

Try to relax. I know it's easier said than done the first time, but believe me, it gets much easier after you do it several times. Chances are by your third interview you will feel like you should be the one conducting them.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a second language, this is harder for you.

Things to keep in mind:
Eye contact
Smile
Take your time

I can't stress the last point enough. Too many people feel the need to answer every question with no delay and at lightning speed. These are three simple things that shouldn't overwhelm you. Of course there are special little techniques like how to style your answers and such but this is usually interviewee to interviewee variant (or interviewer in some cases).

Treat it like a conversation and not an interview. That person wants to get to know you and your personality. It is not a test.

My best interviews were the ones I was relaxed in and having fun. At the same time, be confident in yourself. You're interviewing for a reason.

I'm nowhere near ready for this type of interview, but in past interviews I just focus on why I think that I would be the most qualified. I mention my accomplishments and knowledge of what I'm hopefully getting into. I also talk about my interest for whatever I'm interviewing for and how I think the job will benefit the company and myself. Think about everything you have done to get to that interview and tell them about it. I also agree with one of the above replies about treating it like a conversation. You're meeting someone new and you want to tell them about what you have done in the past few years. Hope that helps.

That person wants to get to know you and your personality. It is not a test.

Truth. I actually had an interviewer tell me before we started.

Pretty much said, "you don't have to impress me, I just want to get to know you"