Interviewing while having a residency spot.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

elloco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
sounds like you're planning on committing an egregious match violation

sounds like you're planning on committing an egregious match violation

Maybe. Not enough details from the OP to tell.

If s/he is trying to match in a different program in the same advanced specialty then, yes...massive match violation. If the OP is switching specialties however then it's totally kosher as long as s/he withdraws from the 2014 advanced program by January something (I don't remember exactly)

Deleted.

Last edited:
It's a bit more complicated than above.

Technically, it's a match violation to look for a concurrent position if you've already matched to a position. You're supposed to get the waiver first, then look for a new position. In fact, PD's are encouraged to check the NRMP status of all of their applicants prior to offering interviews. But I expect that few do.

But, you're probably thinking that you'd rather apply for something new, see what happens, and then decide on resigning.

Here's what I'd suggest: Apply to your new specialty in September. By November, you'll have a good sense of your interview offers. If you have lots of interviews and you plan on trying to match again, resign in November -- this ensures that your current matched advanced program has plenty of time to interview for that spot in the match. Waiting until January doesn't really help you at all, and actually going on interviews while matched is certainly a match violation. Remember that if your current matched program were to make a stink about it, you could be found to be a match violator and lose all of your matches.

It's a bit more complicated than above.

Technically, it's a match violation to look for a concurrent position if you've already matched to a position. You're supposed to get the waiver first, then look for a new position. In fact, PD's are encouraged to check the NRMP status of all of their applicants prior to offering interviews. But I expect that few do.

But, you're probably thinking that you'd rather apply for something new, see what happens, and then decide on resigning.

Here's what I'd suggest: Apply to your new specialty in September. By November, you'll have a good sense of your interview offers. If you have lots of interviews and you plan on trying to match again, resign in November -- this ensures that your current matched advanced program has plenty of time to interview for that spot in the match. Waiting until January doesn't really help you at all, and actually going on interviews while matched is certainly a match violation. Remember that if your current matched program were to make a stink about it, you could be found to be a match violator and lose all of your matches.

I think this is actually incorrect. So in your intern year, you cannot apply through the match, and that's certainly a violation. You cannot enter the match as an intern while having an advanced position. The only possibility here for that to not be a match violation is to actually get a waiver.

The other possibility is to start PGY-2 and either work 45 days then quit, or contact programs after you start PGY-2 and go through the match in that year but going through the match as I said during intern year is a violation.

Going on interviews while matched during PGY-2 is not a match violation actually, it's perfectly acceptable and that's how people are able to match into a new specialty. I have specifically asked and the NRMP has told me that it's perfectly legal to enter the match again in Sept. once in your PGY-2 year and you don't have to give up your spot prior to interviewing and/or signing up for the match.