Interviews 2005/2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey Poety,

I decided today that I need to be a little more selective . . . so I decided on about 10 places I will actually go interview . . . definitely would be a little too much otherwise.

Poety said:
bcs o1 are you gunna GO to all these interviews?? yikes! :scared: :wow: :wow: :wow:

Members don't see this ad.

nortomaso: i'm basically focusing on california

childpsychdoc: thank you :)

good luck everyone!

Mt. Sinai today.

trickle...trickle....trickle.....

Members don't see this ad :)
psychgirl06 said:
nortomaso: i'm basically focusing on california

childpsychdoc: thank you :)

good luck everyone!

Hi psychgirl,

I'm applying to cali too. Do you know how late the Cali schools interview (i.e. what was the latest date they gave you)? I'm on the east coast so I need to find a way to have free time in my schedule to fly out to Cali. Do they interview through January?

dynamite said:
Hi psychgirl,

I'm applying to cali too. Do you know how late the Cali schools interview (i.e. what was the latest date they gave you)? I'm on the east coast so I need to find a way to have free time in my schedule to fly out to Cali. Do they interview through January?

hi dynamite- i don't know how late they interview because i'm trying to schedule all my interviews during november/december and didn't inquire as to later dates. maybe you could try asking them? i do know that ucsf has dates through february... good luck!

psychgirl06 said:
hi dynamite- i don't know how late they interview because i'm trying to schedule all my interviews during november/december and didn't inquire as to later dates. maybe you could try asking them? i do know that ucsf has dates through february... good luck!

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE GETTING INTERVIEWS AND GOOD LUCK! :luck: :luck: :luck:

just spreading my good vibe karma around :)

hey guys my list
washington university
SLU
UMDNJ NEWARK
HENRY FORD DETROIT
BERGEN REGIONAL
BUT THESE R NOT SUFFICIENT I SHOULD GET MORE
MY
Poety said:
CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE GETTING INTERVIEWS AND GOOD LUCK! :luck: :luck: :luck:

just spreading my good vibe karma around :)

U. of Florida
U. of SF
UCSF-Fresno
nymc-wcmc
umdnj-newark
maricopa
U. of Chicago
U. of Arizona

How is everyone getting out of rotations to go on interviews? :confused:

junebug said:
U. of Florida
U. of SF
UCSF-Fresno
nymc-wcmc
umdnj-newark
maricopa
U. of Chicago
U. of Arizona

How is everyone getting out of rotations to go on interviews? :confused:

Yeah, this is a huge problem for me cause I have to fly across the country for a lot of my interviews. It takes at least a day to get there, another day to get back, and one day for the interview = 3 days per interview in Cali!! I have no idea how I'm going to do it. :(

dynamite said:
Yeah, this is a huge problem for me cause I have to fly across the country for a lot of my interviews. It takes at least a day to get there, another day to get back, and one day for the interview = 3 days per interview in Cali!! I have no idea how I'm going to do it. :(

Hi all, just got USF today (via phone call - nice PD), I think I'm pretty much done, I can't fit anymore on my calender and this is flying like non-stop every other day to an interview, unlike dynamite, I'm flying in the night before and leaving the next day for each of them :eek: I only have two rotations left for 4th year plus my CS so thats how I'm able to do this, my rotations are in Jan and March

Ok here's my list:

UMDNJ-Camden
Jefferson
UNC
Einstein
Palmetto
MCG
U of F
U of Miami
U of SF
Institute of Living

These are all in Nov to mid Dec, UGG

Hope to meet some of you on the interview trail!

Poety

Got Mount Sinai (Cabrini) today! :D

Hi all! Congrats on the interviews. I just started viewing & I thought I'd share. So far,

JHU
Mt. Sinai
TJeff
Pitt
Shepp-Pratt

I guess Einstein & MUSC don't want me! I'm still waiting on others as well.

Unquiet Mind said:
Hi all! Congrats on the interviews. I just started viewing & I thought I'd share. So far,

JHU
Mt. Sinai
TJeff
Pitt
Shepp-Pratt

I guess Einstein & MUSC don't want me! I'm still waiting on others as well.

congrats unquiet! Einstein said they are a bit behind so yours should be coming in any day now :) MUSC doesn't want me either, thats ok, not crazy about Charleston

Members don't see this ad :)
Had an interview at Wash U today, really friendly residents, very easy going interview.

Loma Linda...any inputs about the program?

Calls till now:

1. DARTMOUTH'
2. UNIV. OF WISCONSIN-MADISON
3. LOMA LINDA UNIVERSITY

2010 said:
Had an interview at Wash U today, really friendly residents, very easy going interview.

2010, that's great. Wow what an early interview. I'm looking forward to making the trip to St Louis. Can you give us more specifics about the program and the people? Thanks.

Penn by e-mail, Duke by phone. No download love from OHSU.

rare14 said:
Heard of this website from a friend. It's very helpful!

my list so far:
JHU
emory
Wash U
Michigan

Today.... U Penn (by phone only) and UC-Denver.

Haven't heard from U of Washington-Seattle.

Now that all my application stuff (except the dean's letter) is in, I've heard from:
Duke
U Chicago
UW

List so far:
UNC
Duke
emory
vanderbilt
UTSW
baylor
UW madison
UW (seatle)
Penn
Yale
Maralynd Shep-pratt
UMass
MCW
Wash U
:cool:

Congrats to everyone with those fantastic interviews.

When do interviews stop being given out? Nov 1??

Call and invite from mayo PD today - very nice.
E-mail invite from UCSD today - I finally have 2 letters of recommendation in.

My transcript and 2 letters in. One rec and dean's letter still out. Step 2 improvement in.

(List to date: interviews @ emory, unc, duke, ucsd, mayo;
kind words, interview date info and encouragement, but no official invite until more application is in - ucdavis, musc;
just fyi - ohsu downloaded my app last month but no invite or message for quite some time now - it seems like some of you were mentionning ohsu? anyway.)

Peace out (just kidding),
psych2b

Tartufe said:
When do interviews stop being given out? Nov 1??

When I applied, I got interviews into January. I assume I was on a couple "backup" lists in case they had extra interview slots or if people cancelled last minute.

I was hesitant about posting interviews at first because I didn't want to be sized up ("Oh, she's no competition", or "I got an interview there and you didn't"). You can deny, but it is a thought.
So here is my list. I didn't apply to a lot of places I wanted to, because in the event that I got a lot of interviews; I couldn't really take them all because I get so few days per rotation for interviews at my school.
Interviews so far:
RWJ-Cooper
Henry Ford Hospital
Thomas Jefferson U.
UMD-Sheppard Pratt
NEOUCOM
UMDNJ-SOM
Apparently, Michigan State is waiting for the rest of my stuff, and so is Medical College of Georgia.
1 rejection so far: Emory
I hope the remaining programs see me for my talents as well as grades and the interviews keep coming, but it's out of my hands.I hope that I match at the place I really want to be, or at the very least a place where I will be taught how to treat patients, and teach others how to do the same. Isn't that is the point of this whole rat race? For all of us to find a spot where we can exact on the vision that a lot of us have had for ourselves for so long? At the end of a busy day involutarily commiting yet saving person A and helping person B get back to their 9-to-5 and making sure person C is in their support group, I just want to be able to sit back with a glass of wine and my Mozart CD and know I made a damn difference.
I have no idea where I'll end up despite my best mathematical guess, so if I match #1, yippee! :D If I have to be one of the few, the traumatized, the scrambling, so be it :( . When it's all said and done, I will be a psychiatrist whether I end up in California, or Canada, or even Cambodia, and I hope the same for us all.

analogue_grrl said:
...I hope that I match at the place I really want to be, or at the very least a place where I will be taught how to treat patients, and teach others how to do the same. Isn't that is the point of this whole rat race? For all of us to find a spot where we can exact on the vision that a lot of us have had for ourselves for so long? At the end of a busy day involutarily commiting yet saving person A and helping person B get back to their 9-to-5 and making sure person C is in their support group, I just want to be able to sit back with a glass of wine and my Mozart CD and know I made a damn difference.

Preach it, sister! :clap:

analogue_grrl said:
I was hesitant about posting interviews at first because I didn't want to be sized up ("Oh, she's no competition", or "I got an interview there and you didn't"). You can deny, but it is a thought.
So here is my list. I didn't apply to a lot of places I wanted to, because in the event that I got a lot of interviews; I couldn't really take them all because I get so few days per rotation for interviews at my school.
Interviews so far:
RWJ-Cooper
Henry Ford Hospital
Thomas Jefferson U.
UMD-Sheppard Pratt
NEOUCOM
UMDNJ-SOM
Apparently, Michigan State is waiting for the rest of my stuff, and so is Medical College of Georgia.
1 rejection so far: Emory
I hope the remaining programs see me for my talents as well as grades and the interviews keep coming, but it's out of my hands.I hope that I match at the place I really want to be, or at the very least a place where I will be taught how to treat patients, and teach others how to do the same. Isn't that is the point of this whole rat race? For all of us to find a spot where we can exact on the vision that a lot of us have had for ourselves for so long? At the end of a busy day involutarily commiting yet saving person A and helping person B get back to their 9-to-5 and making sure person C is in their support group, I just want to be able to sit back with a glass of wine and my Mozart CD and know I made a damn difference.
I have no idea where I'll end up despite my best mathematical guess, so if I match #1, yippee! :D If I have to be one of the few, the traumatized, the scrambling, so be it :( . When it's all said and done, I will be a psychiatrist whether I end up in California, or Canada, or even Cambodia, and I hope the same for us all.

I think you have a great list analogue and I wish you all the best!!!

You seem to have a great point of view about things and you WILL get in wherever you are SUPPOSED to be, we all will! :)

Good luck hon!

Has anyone heard from:

Southern Illinois University
U of Kansas
U of Kentucky
U of Louisville
Kalamzoo
Michigan state university
U of missouri-columbia
Creighton
Med Univ of Ohio
Ohio State U.
East Tennessee
Meharry
U of Tenn.
Eastern VA
WVU-charleston

Do the psych programs just not have their *&%^ together still?

Hello All,
Congrats to everyone. We are really going to be doctors!!
I am planning to stay in the midwest or NY and have interviews at:
U of Michigan
Henry Ford Hospital (detroit)
Detroit Medical Center/Wayne State U
U of Chicago
U Illinois-Chicago
still waiting on: Northwestern, Rush, NYU but no rejections yet so that's good.

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi everybody. I'm ideally hoping to go back to CA but I also applied to 4 schools outside Cali. Right now I have interviews at:
U. of Virginia
Cincinnati
U. of South FL
Stanford

Good luck to everyone!

Just got U of Chicago today!! Woohoo!!

So far:
Mt. Sinai
Beth Israel
U Maryland
U Chicago

Btw, I thought I had this interviewing thing all figured out. One of my letters finally came in and it was uploaded last night. Then, this morning I got an invite. So, I figure that the programs are waiting for all my stuff to be in before they consider offerring invites (which is good; it means they aren't just ignoring me). But then, when I went to track the programs, it turns out that U Chicago didn't even download the letter that was just uploaded!! That blows my theory out the water! I can't make any sense of it all :mad: Madness I tell you, pure madness!!!

Greetings,

Thought I'd go ahead and throw my hat into the ring...

Interviews to date:
UAB
Wash U
U Florida
UVA
UNC
Duke
Virginia Commonwealth
U Tennessee-Memphis
Vanderbilt
UT-Southwestern

No love yet from MUSC or Wake Forest, but no rejections either.

Good luck to everyone, and have fun on the interview trail.

Hi, just thought I'd add my info on here. By the way, anyone heard from wake forest, UCSD? If so, when? This whole process is so bizarre. I haven't heard from UNC and I thought it was due to lack of chairman's letter. But it seems like that's not the issue, so who knows...anyway, I applied to a LOT of programs (35), so my list is a little ridiculous, but I'm not going to all of these interviews by any means. I'm seriously not that freakish. Of course, some of the ones I really wanted have not so far arrived. So far I have:
Duke
Emory
MCG
BU
UMass
Mayo
UTSW
Baylor
UConn (already interviewed)
UMDNJ-RWJ (piscataway - already interviewed)
UVA
Wash-U
MUSC
UTennessee (Memphis)
University of Illinois at Chicago
U Wisconsin
U of Arizona
U of Minnesota
Indiana University

TexDO said:
Hi, just thought I'd add my info on here. By the way, anyone heard from wake forest, UCSD? If so, when? This whole process is so bizarre. I haven't heard from UNC and I thought it was due to lack of chairman's letter. But it seems like that's not the issue, so who knows...anyway, I applied to a LOT of programs (35), so my list is a little ridiculous, but I'm not going to all of these interviews by any means. I'm seriously not that freakish. Of course, some of the ones I really wanted have not so far arrived. So far I have:
Duke
Emory
MCG
BU
UMass
Mayo
UTSW
Baylor
UConn (already interviewed)
UMDNJ-RWJ (piscataway - already interviewed)
UVA
Wash-U
MUSC
UTennessee (Memphis)
University of Illinois at Chicago
U Wisconsin
U of Arizona
U of Minnesota
Indiana University

I heard from UCSD yesterday (got an interview, probably will not go though)
Also got UNC about a month ago, w/o chairman letter

Hey everyone,

Congrats on all the invites!!! My list has pretty much stayed the same since my last post . . .

Just got back in town from interviews at UF and USF. Feel free to PM me with specific questions. Both programs were very friendly and welcoming and made me think it would be a balanced four years at either place. And the weather was gorgeous! I love swimming in October.

Good luck!

BCS

2010 said:

2010 said:
Out of curiosity, do you go to a west coast med school? Just wondering, in case the california schools are regionally biased a little bit. Thanks!

BCS_001 said:
Hey everyone,

Congrats on all the invites!!! My list has pretty much stayed the same since my last post . . .

Just got back in town from interviews at UF and USF. Feel free to PM me with specific questions. Both programs were very friendly and welcoming and made me think it would be a balanced four years at either place. And the weather was gorgeous! I love swimming in October.

Good luck!

BCS

Nice job BCS_001. How did you like USF? I'm going there next month, partly as an excuse to lay on the beach for a couple days before my interview. :D

TexDO said:
Out of curiosity, do you go to a west coast med school? Just wondering, in case the california schools are regionally biased a little bit. Thanks!

NO, I go to a midwest med school, I would be expecting notification in the next week or so.
I think it takes at least 2 weeks for schools to get their invites out, example, I heard from yale, at least 2 weeks before sone others, likewise, I did not hear from Pitt for more than a week after others had.
S

Mount Sinai (North General)
Mount Sinai (Cabrini)
St. Lukes
NYCM-WCMC
UMDNJ
U. of F
USF
U of Chicago
U of Illinois- Chicago
U. of Arizona
Maricopa
UCSF- Fresno
:)

how many people have been contacted by mayo so far?

nortomaso said:
Anyone ever driven from Raleigh/Durham to Charleston, SC? How long and tiring a drive is it? I would like to knock out the south in a week, but don't want to kill myself.

hey nortomaso,
its about 5 hr drive i believe. and nice highways. unless you are doing a dinner the night of your interview (not sure which one you are starting at), you could totally drive from one to the other in an evening and still get enough sleep, in my opinion. so could do an interview the next day and such. btw, its about 20 minutes between duke and unc in case you are interviewing at both. you wouldnt need to switch hotels if you are staying near one of them. durham is more of a crap shoot in terms of a safe area, so stay near chapel hill would be my advice, unless they recommend somewhere.

good luck.

my interview list now:
duke, unc, u of texas san antonio, ut southwestern, emory, u of maryland, u of arizona, northwestern, medical college of virginia

im waiting for wake and musc, and thats all i applied to. you can see my southern bias! good luck everyone.

-felicity

felicity said:
hey nortomaso,
its about 5 hr drive i believe. and nice highways. unless you are doing a dinner the night of your interview (not sure which one you are starting at), you could totally drive from one to the other in an evening and still get enough sleep, in my opinion. so could do an interview the next day and such. btw, its about 20 minutes between duke and unc in case you are interviewing at both. you wouldnt need to switch hotels if you are staying near one of them. durham is more of a crap shoot in terms of a safe area, so stay near chapel hill would be my advice, unless they recommend somewhere.

-felicity

Thanks Felicity, I was thinking of cancelling my UNC interview and not scheduling MUSC since I'm not as excited by them as Duke and not as intent on a particular region as you. But you make the travelling sound not so bad, so I'll reconsider.

Heard from Stanford today by e-mail, very excited about going out there. Still waiting to hear from UCSF, Columbia, MGH, Longwood, and OHSU. Scheduled interviews to date:

Duke
Hopkins
Wash U
U of Wash
Yale
U. of Michigan
Emory
Pitt
UPenn
UNC

Good luck to everyone. Let's all drink to a new and vibrant generation of psychiatrists.

felicity said:
hey nortomaso,

good luck.

my interview list now:
duke, unc, u of texas san antonio, ut southwestern, emory, u of maryland, u of arizona, northwestern, medical college of virginia

im waiting for wake and musc, and thats all i applied to. you can see my southern bias! good luck everyone.

-felicity

Has anyone gotten an interview from UNC recently? Seems like most people heard back in september. Just wondering if I should wait longer before I get my flight for the Duke interview.

DeltaChi said:
how many people have been contacted by mayo so far?
I just got my Mayo invite monday via phonecall, and yesterday by email. The director actually called personally, which was nice, but it was quite late in the evening. Anyway, clearly they aren't done giving out interviews yet, if that helps.

hey i've heard great things about wash u. any thoughts???

alpeeee said:
hey i've heard great things about wash u. any thoughts???

Alpeeee. I'm really looking forward to my interview there. There is a very interesting article in the current issue of Academic Psychiatry:

Joel Yager, Lisa Mellman, Eugene Rubin, and Allan Tasman
The RRC Mandate for Residency Programs to Demonstrate Psychodynamic Psychotherapy Competency Among Residents: A Debate
Acad Psychiatry 2005 29: 339-349.

It is a debate between Dr. Mellman of Columbia and Dr. Rubin of WUSTL over the amount of time to be spent on psychodynamic training in residency. I think it gives a good flavor for the prevailing attitudes at the two programs.

nortomaso said:
Alpeeee. I'm really looking forward to my interview there. There is a very interesting article in the current issue of Academic Psychiatry:

Joel Yager, Lisa Mellman, Eugene Rubin, and Allan Tasman
The RRC Mandate for Residency Programs to Demonstrate Psychodynamic Psychotherapy Competency Among Residents: A Debate
Acad Psychiatry 2005 29: 339-349.

It is a debate between Dr. Mellman of Columbia and Dr. Rubin of WUSTL over the amount of time to be spent on psychodynamic training in residency. I think it gives a good flavor for the prevailing attitudes at the two programs.

Thanks, I'll check it out. i'm really into the medical model they train their residents with.

hi nortomaso,
no problem, good luck! felicity
ps when you interview at stanford, if you like sushi, go to miyake's downtown. everyone knows where it is. also, take time to walk "the dish," (just ask someone to point you in the right direction and dont get lost! i advise you do it after your interview!) if you have time. gorgeous views. that is a very unique part of living in that area, if physical beauty, hiking trails, and good weather are your thing!
if it is a really strong consideration for you, be sure to ask residents where they live, the peninsula is known to be expensive, but places like mountain view (drive there if you have time, its about ten minutes from stanford, straight down el camino real, ask anyone) are really not insanely priced if you are renting at least. i am a little biased of course (guess where i went undergrad?) best, felicity

nortomaso said:
Thanks Felicity, I was thinking of cancelling my UNC interview and not scheduling MUSC since I'm not as excited by them as Duke and not as intent on a particular region as you. But you make the travelling sound not so bad, so I'll reconsider.

Heard from Stanford today by e-mail, very excited about going out there. Still waiting to hear from UCSF, Columbia, MGH, Longwood, and OHSU. Scheduled interviews to date:

Duke
Hopkins
Wash U
U of Wash
Yale
U. of Michigan
Emory
Pitt
UPenn
UNC

Good luck to everyone. Let's all drink to a new and vibrant generation of psychiatrists.

Tartufe said:
Has anyone heard from:

Southern Illinois University
U of Kansas
U of Kentucky
U of Louisville
Kalamzoo
Michigan state university
U of missouri-columbia
Creighton
Med Univ of Ohio
Ohio State U.
East Tennessee
Meharry
U of Tenn.
Eastern VA
WVU-charleston

Do the psych programs just not have their *&%^ together still?

bump

felicity said:
hi nortomaso,
no problem, good luck! felicity
ps when you interview at stanford, if you like sushi, go to miyake's downtown. everyone knows where it is. also, take time to walk "the dish," (just ask someone to point you in the right direction and dont get lost! i advise you do it after your interview!) if you have time. gorgeous views. that is a very unique part of living in that area, if physical beauty, hiking trails, and good weather are your thing!
if it is a really strong consideration for you, be sure to ask residents where they live, the peninsula is known to be expensive, but places like mountain view (drive there if you have time, its about ten minutes from stanford, straight down el camino real, ask anyone) are really not insanely priced if you are renting at least. i am a little biased of course (guess where i went undergrad?) best, felicity

Thanks again, felicity. Cost of living is a concern as I am seriously considering Stanford but don't want to struggle more than necessary. I also hate having to depend on a car, having always lived in large cities. St Louis on $500/month rent and a Vespa for mobility is starting to sound pretty good from that point of view.

got MUSC by phone today