Interviews 2005/2006

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
dynamite said:
At what point do you guys think it's basically over? The Dean's letter has been out for almost a week now. I figure if I was going to get more interviews, it would be in the past week. Maybe in another week. After that, are the invites basically over until people starting cancelling in December?
Your guess is as good as mine. I heard from UCLA/NPI today, though, so I guess that means interviews are still coming in.

Still haven't heard from a few places but the only program I really want to hear from is OHSU and not a peep out of them.

-AT.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all!

Has anyone heard from GWU? Hope interviews are going well. My updated list:

Pitt
Cornell
Columbia
NYU
Mt. Sinai
Albert Einstein
JHU
Shepp-Pratt
Georgetown
TJU
MUSC

Best of luck on the interview trail!

Hey everyone,

Hope you all are doing well. Congrats on all the interviews! I am finally finished with my list (below . . . with my cancellations removed). I may still cancel another one or two though.

UCLA-NPI
MGH/McLean
Columbia
Cornell
Hopkins
U. of Maryland
Pitt
Emory
UF
USF
Baylor
Mayo

Does anyone have any thoughts on Baylor or Mayo? I guess they are both far trips for me, so I am on the fence a little. Any insight would be appreciated!

Good luck, everyone!

BCS

Members don't see this ad :)
hooray-got ohsu today, st. vincent's yesterday!

atsai3 said:
Your guess is as good as mine. I heard from UCLA/NPI today, though, so I guess that means interviews are still coming in.

Still haven't heard from a few places but the only program I really want to hear from is OHSU and not a peep out of them.

-AT.

Finally heard from OHSU today. Mine so far are:

UCLA-NPI, San Fernando Valley, Kern
UCSF-Fresno
USC
California Pacific University
Loma Linda
OHSU

The scary thing is, 6 of them occur in an 8-day time period!

watto said:
Finally heard from OHSU today. Mine so far are:

UCLA-NPI, San Fernando Valley, Kern
UCSF-Fresno
USC
Loma Linda
OHSU

The scary thing is, 6 of them occur in an 8-day time period!

I can't take it anymore, what is OHSU? Everyone is dying to hear from them!

Poety said:
I can't take it anymore, what is OHSU? Everyone is dying to hear from them!

Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland

Have heard many good things about their program, and Portland is gorgeous.

watto said:
Oregon Health Sciences University in Portland

Have heard many good things about their program, and Portland is gorgeous.

ahh ok thanks, if i was a northwestern gal id have known that but the northwest and i don't get along weather wise ;) :oops: Good luck on your interview there!

atsai3 said:

-AT.
Spoke too soon. OHSU via e-mail today.

-AT.

atsai3 said:
Spoke too soon. OHSU via e-mail today.

-AT.

Did you get an invite? I called them and they asked if I had gotten an email today. I said I did not and she told me I will get an answer some time next week.

So is this email a good thing or not? LOL.

Solideliquid said:
Did you get an invite? I called them and they asked if I had gotten an email today. I said I did not and she told me I will get an answer some time next week.

So is this email a good thing or not? LOL.
Oops, sorry for the miscommunication. Yes, received an invite from OHSU today. I'll probably take them up on the offer, but I'm still mildly annoyed that they didn't have their act together sooner so that I could have clustered UW and OHSU together in the same trip. *sigh*

-AT.

atsai3 said:
Oops, sorry for the miscommunication. Yes, received an invite from OHSU today. I'll probably take them up on the offer, but I'm still mildly annoyed that they didn't have their act together sooner so that I could have clustered UW and OHSU together in the same trip. *sigh*

-AT.

Atsai, you've been invited to a lot of great programs. What attracts you to the program at OHSU, aside from Portland itself?

nortomaso said:
Atsai, you've been invited to a lot of great programs. What attracts you to the program at OHSU, aside from Portland itself?
Actually, I don't know a whole lot about OHSU. [1] I think it would be neat to work with James Boehnlein, and [2] based on its portrayal in that recent Benicio del Toro movie (the Rambo ripoff -- I think it was called "The Hunted"), Portland seems like a cool little city.

-AT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just updating list - am going to pare it down.
(* marks scheduled and plane tickets bought- so definitely going)

Invites from:

Harvard Longwood
Brown
*Stanford
OHSU
*San Mateo
*UC-Irvine
UC-Davis
*UC-San Diego
*UNC
*Duke
Emory
MUSC
UCSF
*Mayo

No word from:
Cambridge
UW
MGH
Yale

Hi,

Anyone heard this week from nyu? just wondering is there still a chance?

Interviews so far:

mt sinai
columbia
beth israel, ny
cornell
st luke's
lij

Good luck to everyone

Hi all-

Here's my list:

Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Penn
Yale
MGH
Harvard-Longwood
UCSF
UCLA
Stanford
UCSD
U. Washington (Seattle)
OHSU

Haven't decided if I'll go to all these. Anyone heard anything from Cambridge? Thanks to everyone else for posting and good luck on the interview trail.

Updating, adding UCLA-Harbor

UCLA-NPI, San Fernando Valley, Kern, Harbor
UCSF-Fresno
USC
Loma Linda
OHSU

Now 7 in a 9-day period.

We're going to need another suit.

watto said:
Updating, adding UCLA-Harbor

UCLA-NPI, San Fernando Valley, Kern, Harbor
UCSF-Fresno
USC
Loma Linda
OHSU

Now 7 in a 9-day period.

We're going to need another suit.

Is that like..."We're going to need a bigger boat?"
:laugh:

Anasazi23 said:
Is that like..."We're going to need a bigger boat?"
:laugh:

That's exactly what I was thinking. Was planning on two suits but now have an excuse for the grey Calvin Klein I've had my eye on nigh three months now! :)

So my final list is (drum roll)

Cincinnati
Vanderbilt
Emory
Duke
UNC
UTSW
Baylor
MUSC
UW
Stanford*

Canceled Wash U.

UCSF is the only program I didn't hear from. Invites everywhere else. I'm happy with that :)

*Unfortunately, I sat on my Stanford invite for a couple weeks waiting for UCSF (who never did return my calls/emails about my application status), and now Stanford is full, so I'm on their wait list to interview. But the program coordinator says there are always cancellations, esp in late January, which is when I'd prefer to interview anyway, now that scheduling around UCSF's two "basic science days" is no longer an issue. So if any of you peeps with Stanford interviews don't wanna go, please cancel!

Just got U of Mississippi - Ive never been to Mississippi but I want to move south - anyone know anything about this program? Seems like a nice program, wasn't going to go but changed my mind after seeing cost of living and reading their website more closely So my list and I'm still waiting for like 10 which is too many I KNOW:

UMDNJ-RWJ
Einstein
Jefferson
UNC
MUSC
Wake Forest
U of S.Carolina
I of Living
U of F
U of SF
U of Miami
ECU (Brody)
U of Mississ
MCG
East Tennessee

If I don't get into some program in the south, theres something wrong with my interviewing skills for SURE. Has anyone interviewed at any of the southern programs yet? And if so - can you post your experience please?

almost everyone here seems to have a great list with some impressive interviews, good luck and I hope you all get your first choice residencies :)

Hey guys. Here is my final list:

Pitt
U. of SF
Cincinnati
UVA
UCSD
UC Davis
UCLA
Stanford

Haven't heard from UCSF.

Good luck to everyone.

Got my first rejection letter today (from UCLA).
Also got waitlisted by Stanford today.
No word yet on UC-Davis, UCSF, or UCSD.
UC-Irvine is all I have in Cali so far.

I noticed a lot of people posting their "final" lists.
I'm under the impression that programs are still offering interviews - am I inorrect?

The Pride said:
Got my first rejection letter today (from UCLA).
Also got waitlisted by Stanford today.
No word yet on UC-Davis, UCSF, or UCSD.
UC-Irvine is all I have in Cali so far.

I noticed a lot of people posting their "final" lists.
I'm under the impression that programs are still offering interviews - am I inorrect?

Hi Pride,

Don't panic yet. I'm still getting interviews and am surely not the best candidate out there.

Hang in there!

psychedoc2b

Finally got to speak to someone from UCSF today. They never got my supplemental application that I faxed on September 6. So I faxed it again. The lady on the phone was very nice.

So... both Stanford and UCSF only interview on Thursdays. Why do programs do that? Yeah, I know I'm whining, but flying from Ohio to the west coast is expensive, and I don't wanna do it twice.

Hey Hurricane. I think UCSF interviews on Wednesdays and Stanford and UC Davis interview on Thursdays. I could be wrong though.

ChildPsychDoc2b said:
Hey Hurricane. I think UCSF interviews on Wednesdays and Stanford and UC Davis interview on Thursdays. I could be wrong though.
If only. The UCSF interview form lists only Thursdays, and Stanford told me they only do Thursdays. Argh. Oh well, my husband's sister lives in Oakland. Maybe things will work out so that we can make a week's vacation out of it...

Edited to add: I was looking at last year's UCSF dates form. Oops! :rolleyes:

Got Cambridge today. Updated my list on the first post.

adding cambridge too. finally.

I also got UCSD today. Maybe we'll be hearing for quite some time.

Interviews at:

UAB
JPS
UTSW
UTMB
Scott & White
UMEB

Has anybody heard from LSU-Shreveport? They have yet to download any of my ERAS materials.

Got dinged by MGH - bout time, I was wondering what took them so long ;)

Got UCSF today, for their Dec 7 "basic science day." And a surprisingly low fare for such short notice. :) Now I just have to dig up the email address for the dude I know who lives nearby...

Hi, I'm new on this forum and I would appreciate any feedback.

I have interviews at the following programs:

New York Medical College (Richmond and Westchester)
Maimonides
UMDNJ- Newark
Robert Wood Johnson at Camden
UCONN
Institute of Living
University of Nevada, Reno
University of Minnesota
Wayne State University
Ohio State University
Michigan State U at Kalamazoo
Bergan Regional Med Center
Allegheny Med Center

Here's the thing. I realize that there's no true way of rating programs unless they are top-notch. Otherwise, we're talking about personal preferences. But, being at student from a Caribbean medical school, one of my goals is to get into a program that's going to help ameliorate the fact that I had to go to school offshore (I was a genuine screw-up in college, but I'm good now. No, great now!)

So, does anyone have any thoughts as to which programs listed here are going to be more rigorous and well-respected? I'm interested in doing research and I couldn't care less about how much I'm expected to work (i.e. I'm not looking for cush.)

Thanks so much for your input!

Shrinky said:
Hi, I'm new on this forum and I would appreciate any feedback.

I have interviews at the following programs:

New York Medical College (Richmond and Westchester)
Maimonides
UMDNJ- Newark
Robert Wood Johnson at Camden
UCONN
Institute of Living
University of Nevada, Reno
University of Minnesota
Wayne State University
Ohio State University
Michigan State U at Kalamazoo
Bergan Regional Med Center
Allegheny Med Center

Here's the thing. I realize that there's no true way of rating programs unless they are top-notch. Otherwise, we're talking about personal preferences. But, being at student from a Caribbean medical school, one of my goals is to get into a program that's going to help ameliorate the fact that I had to go to school offshore (I was a genuine screw-up in college, but I'm good now. No, great now!)

So, does anyone have any thoughts as to which programs listed here are going to be more rigorous and well-respected? I'm interested in doing research and I couldn't care less about how much I'm expected to work (i.e. I'm not looking for cush.)

Thanks so much for your input!

Realize that everyone is going to give you different opinions. Here's mine: carefully consider the programs number of residents (typically, the more residents, the stronger the program), the amount of research monies, number od beds, in-patient vs. outpatient exposure, fellowships offered, etc.... From what I've seen, University of Minnesota is a solid program with a large number of in-patient beds and considerable research. I've also heard that The Ohio State University program is good, but they've had problems in the past -- I think they are still in a state of flux, however if someone in the program reads this, feel free to elaborate/disagree. I've also heard good things about Maimonides and UConn, though I know nothing about the programs. Minnesota is one of my interviews (January) and I really like the opportunities for: fellowships, moonlighting, varied patient base, and biological emphasis. I LOVE Minneapolis/ St. Paul, too!!!

Again, this is OPINION and, undoubtedly, people will disagree. I do hope it helps, however.

mosche said:
Realize that everyone is going to give you different opinions. Here's mine: carefully consider the programs number of residents (typically, the more residents, the stronger the program), the amount of research monies, number od beds, in-patient vs. outpatient exposure, fellowships offered, etc.... From what I've seen, University of Minnesota is a solid program with a large number of in-patient beds and considerable research. I've also heard that The Ohio State University program is good, but they've had problems in the past -- I think they are still in a state of flux, however if someone in the program reads this, feel free to elaborate/disagree. I've also heard good things about Maimonides and UConn, though I know nothing about the programs. Minnesota is one of my interviews (January) and I really like the opportunities for: fellowships, moonlighting, varied patient base, and biological emphasis. I LOVE Minneapolis/ St. Paul, too!!!

Again, this is OPINION and, undoubtedly, people will disagree. I do hope it helps, however.

Thanks for the feedback, Moshe. The opinion of my peers is something I respect and value. After trying to parse the info I could find on the net, I found myself leaning towards OSU and UMinn, as well as Wayne State (based mostly on their NIH grant money.)

Shrinky,

Be careful and look at each program for yourself - then decide where you will get the most education (ie best fit for YOU) and where you will be HAPPY FOR 4 YEARS. You can always make contacts even from smaller programs. I think sometimes the smaller programs get a bad rap because they aren't known - but this can also give you the opportunity to be a bigger part in the research that is going on - or the attendings can get to know you so well that they can hook you up where you would like to end up.

Most importantly - remember the ACGME ACCREDITS THESE PROGRAMS so for the most part, you will get the same basic education anywhere just under different circumstances and in different ways. I say go with your gut... .but I'm a touchy feely kinda gal :)

Good luck!

Personally, I liked the Institute of Living a lot and I think they have a TON of research opportunities, please see the reviews people have posted under "Post your interview experiences here" I know nothing about the other programs you mentioned, but Mosche might :)

Poety,

Good points. But I guess the thing I'm really concerned with the most is being able to shake off any apprehension a future client/employer/fellowship program might have due to my being an IMG. So the professional reputation of a residency program is high on my list. I spent years in 3rd world just to get a medical education, so as far as location goes, I'll feel lucky if there's a McDonald's in the neighborhood.

Also, I read a couple of posts about some idiosyncrasies at IOL that put it in a negative light. But I'll still check them out.

Hey Shrinky!

I just want to let you know that you cannot judge a program by what you read on this forum - I know you said you are new here, and you can get some general advice, but you CANNOT and I repeat CANNOT make a decision about YOUR life from other peoples opinions on here. Once you see how a lot of threads tend to go, you'll notice that there is an awful lot of bias going around so please please check everything out for yourself and use this forum as a general guide line.

Read what other posters have said in previous posts (you can click on the name and see everything they've ever post) so you can decide for yourself how credible you think the advice is.

Take care and I wish you all the luck in the match! I think that if you want private practice most won't care where you did med school - but in academia you will want to come from a big boy residency since you have the offshore background. However, I'm sure you can get whatever you're hoping to find as long as you work really hard at it.

:) Poety

the funniest rejection i got was from Mt. Sinai in nyc. they sent out a mass email with EVERY reject's email address listed. classy ;)

mollywobbles said:
the funniest rejection i got was from Mt. Sinai in nyc. they sent out a mass email with EVERY reject's email address listed. classy ;)

I got the same one. I was strangely warmed to see Yalie emails listed.
I'm a bad person.

Invites must still be going out. I got UW today. Perhaps they have had some cancellations. Unfortunately I had to decline b/c my schedule is already full.

manc said:
Invites must still be going out. I got UW today. Perhaps they have had some cancellations. Unfortunately I had to decline b/c my schedule is already full.

Yeah, Cedars-Sinai came in today, and I had put away the defibrillator on that one a long time ago.

Maybe this is somewhere earlier in this thread, but I'll ask anyway: How many interviews is too many?

watto said:
Yeah, Cedars-Sinai came in today, and I had put away the defibrillator on that one a long time ago.

yeah i got UW today, too. I'm still waiting on UCSF, Cornell, NYU, and Pitt.

Keep on truckin' . . .

On a side note, I hear UT-Houston has 10 interviews on their interview day?!? Houston is not my home school, but it is my home town, so I was going to interview there, but 10 interviews?!?! can anyone confirm this?

updating my list:

UMDNJ-RWJ*
Einstein*
Jefferson-
UNC*
MUSC
Wake Forest
U of S.Carolina*
Institute of Living*
U of Florida
U of S.Florida*
U of Miami-
ECU (Brody)
U of Mississ
MCG
East Tennessee-
University of Tennessee

Rejected from:
Emory
MGH
UPenn

Would like some advice on: U of Mississippi, U of Tennessee to help me decide if they're worth the money and time to visit.

* = completed
- = cancelled/declined

Cedars Sinai rejection came today. was not funny like mt. sinai.

Here's an updated list:

Completed interviews:
UT-Southwestern
UT-Galveston
Emory

Scheduled Interviews:
Einstein
UW
UC-Irvine
UC-Davis
UT-Houston
Baylor
Colorado
Brown

Haven't Heard Anything:
Cornell
NYU
Pitt

Waitlisted:
Stanford
UCSD

Rejected:
UCSF
UCLA
Columbia
Mass Gen

Anyone have insight on the chances of still getting an interview at NYU, Cornell, Pitt, Stanford, or UCSD?

The Pride said:
Anyone have insight on the chances of still getting an interview at NYU, Cornell, Pitt, Stanford, or UCSD?

I am also waitlisted at Stanford, because I waited too long to accept their invite. (kicking myself :p) I'm waitlisted for Jan 26, and the program coordinator said that she thought that I had a very good chance of getting an interview, because they usually have a lot of cancellations in January. I hope that's true this year!

The Pride said:

if you or anyone else here are sincerely interested in any programs you've yet to hear from, please get in touch with the contact person under the list of programs you applied to in eras (or the program's web site). i got the sense that a lot of people applied to way too many programs this year, bogging down a lot of programs in trying to filter out applicants who'd actually rank them and thus would be worth the interviews. i personally emailed the pd at one of the programs i'll probably rank as #1 or #2 and was emailed back with an interview invitation the same day. at worst, they would've replied with a "thanks but no thanks" email, ya know? good :luck: