Interviews/acceptance ratio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctoresse

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I just wanted to have an idea of the number of acceptances compared to the number of interviews people have been getting. I started interviewing end of November and got 5 interviews in the last month but haven't heard back yet. I have 4 more interviews coming next month.I'm starting to be so anxious, please reassure me that this is a number good enough to get one acceptance out of this grueling process. Nobody should ever have to do this twice:scared:

Thanks!! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

9 interviews, 3 acceptances, 2 waitlists, waiting to hear from 4

9 Interviews, 2 acceptances, waiting to hear back from 5....I think with that many interviews, you have a pretty good shot of at least one acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
9 interviews, 6 acceptances, 1 waitlist, waiting on 2

4 interviews, 2 acceptances, 1 waitlist, waiting on 1. 12 schools applied to, turned down 1 interview.

I agree, with that many interviews I'm sure you'll get in. Some schools just take longer to get back to you.

18 applications, 8 interviews, 4 acceptances, 1 waitlist, 3 interviews haven't heard back from, 3 rejections, and 7 that haven't said anything

9 applications total. Attended 4 interviews, which resulted in 3 acceptances and 1 waitlist. Turned down 3 interviews. Haven't heard from 2 other schools.

How many schools did you guys apply to????

15 applications, 9 interviews, turned down 2, been on 5, 1 acceptance, waiting on the other 4, and 2 more to go. Schools that have lost my application - 6.

applied to 27 schools, woo hoo, 7 interviews, 1 waitlist, 1 acceptance.

justskipee said:
applied to 27 schools, woo hoo, 7 interviews, 1 waitlist, 1 acceptance.

DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 27 schools, that's crazy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ashanti Rock said:
DAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 27 schools, that's crazy!

Is ~20 the high end of the range for # of applications on average?

i want to kill myself after reading this thread. 3 interviews and 0 acceptances

18 apps, 4 interviews, 1 acceptance, 1 waitlist, waiting on 2 others and hoping for more interviews.

Punisher said:
Yea, I think someone should start a thread with the title "Who is the best candidate posting on SDN?"

Punisher said:

Haha no kidding. After 23 applications: Have had 1 interview, and got one acceptance. 1 interview to go :)

12 applications, 12 interviews granted, 1 interview declined, 4 acceptances, 1 waitlist, waiting on 6.

15 MD/PhD apps, 9 interviews (6 down, 3 to go), turned down 1 MD-only interview, 1 post-interview rejection :( , 1 MD-only acceptance, 6 schools that haven't said a word. Dear God I hope that's enough interviews for an MD/PhD acceptance.

I don't know how much longer I can take the anxiety of waiting to hear back post-interview. Anyone else feel that way?

I applied to 9 schools, had 5 interviews, 3 acceptances, 1 waitlist, and I will hear from the other school in January. But I picked mostly schools I had a chance at. The 3 I didn't have as much of a chance at didn't interview me, of course :p

OP, I think with 9 interviews you have an awesome chance of getting in somewhere. Good luck. I hope you get some good news soon :luck:

One pre-secondary rejection (from Vandy), returned 6 secondaries, will have had 4 invites to interview, have gone to two so far, cancelled one, one acceptance, and one "we won't make a decision about until spring"

13 apps. 8 interviews granted. Gone to 4, accepted by 3, on hold/deferred at 1. 4 more to go in Jan. :)

29 secondaries submitted (4 post-secondary withdrawals)

11 interview invites--attended 9, cancelled 1, and 1 more scheduled

post-interview results: 3 acceptances, 1 rejection, 2 waitlists, waiting to hear from 3 schools

WhatUpDoc! said:
1 interview/1 acceptance = 100% :thumbup: That's what I call a one shot one kill baby :cool:

Obviously a future surgeon! :)

Thundrstorm said:
15 MD/PhD apps, 9 interviews (6 down, 3 to go), turned down 1 MD-only interview, 1 post-interview rejection :( , 1 MD-only acceptance, 6 schools that haven't said a word. Dear God I hope that's enough interviews for an MD/PhD acceptance.

I don't know how much longer I can take the anxiety of waiting to hear back post-interview. Anyone else feel that way?
Update:

15 MD/PhD apps, 9 interviews (6 down, 3 to go), turned down 1 MD-only interview, 1 post-interview rejection, 1 MD-only acceptance, 1 MSTP acceptance!, 6 schools that haven't said a word.

:D

Four MD interviews, 1 rejection, Two waitlist, One too early, 1 interview MD left, 1 MD/PhD just complete (awaiting interview). In conclusion, 4 interviews and 0 acceptance yet!

17 completed applications
12 interview offers
9 interviews attended
4 acceptances
2 waitlists (withdrew)
3 post-interview decisions to hear of

WhatUpDoc! said:
1 interview/1 acceptance = 100% :thumbup: That's what I call a one shot one kill baby :cool:

Same for me!!

WhatUpDoc! said:

add me to this club! only 1 interview, but hey, that's all it takes, right? i now have 1 acceptance!!!!!
congrats WhatUpDoc! :D

9 apps:
2 post sec. rejections
2 pre-interview holds
2 interviews/2 acceptances = 100%
Waiting to hear from the other 3.

I had a gut feeling going into this that if I got an interview I would be fine.

10 interviews, 4 acceptances, 1 rejection, 5 waiting-to-hear.

I think this thread is really interesting, so here I am

5 interviews invites
did 4 interviews: 2 "on hold" post interviews, 2 waiting to hear, 0 acceptance so far

I went to three interviews. I was accepted to 2 of the schools and I'm waiting to hear from the third. I declined a number of interviews, if those are significant to you in some way, you could read my MDApp page.

As the person who started this thread, I am happy to say that I finally got my first acceptance yesterday! I was started to be so anxious but now I can relax and cancel some interviews. "I'm gonna be a doctor!!"
So my new stats are: 6 interviews attended, 3 interviews cancelled, 1 more interview to go to and 1 acceptance! :D

Congrats Doctoresse!

Me:
24 applications
24 secondaries
8 interview invites
7 attended (1 declined)
5 deferred decisions (technically not "waitlist" yet)
2 accepted

30 something secondaries (I'm a CA resident)
9 interview invites
9 interviews attended
5 acceptances
4 waitlisted

19 Apps, 18 MD and 1 DO
17 Secondaries
9 Interview Invites, declined 4 after getting into one my top choices
5 Interviews attended
2 acceptances
2 waitlists
1 decision left

26 primaries
19 completed secondaries
16 interview invites
10 interviews attended
2 waitlists
2 acceptances
6 no decision post interview

27 Primaries
27 Secondaries
4 Post-Secondary Rejections
11 Interview invites
8 Actual interviews
4 Acceptances

1 Waitlist
3 Post-Interview No-Decision-Yet Schools
12 WTFs?

MD profile

25 primary
12 secondaries filled
4 interview invites
3 post secondary rejections. 5 waiting (where are you schools?)
waiting decisions on 3, 1 interview left to go

DO profile

4 primary
3 secondaries filled
3 interview invites
1 acceptance
canceling 1 interview, 1 interview February

12 primary
11 secondary (decided not to submit one)
9 interviews (no rejections, still waiting on the other 2)
1 acceptance
1 waitlist
7 still waiting post-interview (1 rolling, 6 non-rolling)

Holy crap you guys have ALOT of interviews!!

Update:
14 Completed Secondary Apps
9 Interview offers
7 Interviews attended (2 coming up)
4 acceptances
1 waitlist

3 interviews, 2 acceptances, waiting on 1. Pretty average.

18 applications, 3 interviews, 2 waitlists, 1 awaiting decision....ohh Santa where WERE you this Christmas???!!!

10 applications, 4 interviews offered (2 down, 1 to go), one declined interview, one acceptance, 1 no word yet