Interviews and Away Rotations

Discussion in 'Anesthesiology' started by jhIII, May 10, 2007.

1. jhIII

jhIII New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When do interviews for residency typically begin? I have heard that some schools start as earlier as the middle of September. I ask this because I am looking to do an away rotation in October. Do you think that is too late or will I be alright?

Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bertelman

Bertelman Maverick!
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Too late for what? Def. too late to get an LOR.

Not too late to miss an interview. Despite when the interviews may start, they linger on into Jan., so even if you get an invite in mid-Sep. you can schedule in Nov.

I managed a December rotation, and only missed a couple interviews which I didn't really want, anyways.

4. dionysios

dionysios Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree, programs interview from Sept to Jan and it really depends on the program. It is not too late to do an externship if it is at a program that you are really interested in. Don't waste your month somewhere and miss other interviews. Unfortunately, it is too late to get LORs. Good luck

5. Unconscious

Unconscious Member
    2+ Year Member

I tend to diagree regarding LOR. When going through ERAS, instead of choosing all 4 LOR to send to a program, send only 3 (the required #). When you visit that program, even in october, you could always ask a faculty that you really got to know to write you one, then send it to that program. Also you can have somebody from that department send an internal memo/LOR to the program director/chairperson. I did few years back at 2 places. when I started my CA1 year, I looked in my file, here it was, that LOR. Trust me, it works.

6. Duckie24

Duckie24 Totally Quackers!
    5+ Year Member

October is definitely not too late for a LOR. Most programs will download everything in the application file again when the Dean's Letter goes up in November, so if you have it then, you'll be good. You don't have to wait until the last day of the roatation to ask for a letter, if you've identified someone after a couple weeks, that's fine.

7. DrDre'

DrDre' Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Every single time you update your file, the program is sent a message. The secretary will then download that info. Every time you do this, someone is thinking about you again. Use it to your advantage. I did this when scores became available also. If it is something "big" or potentially would sway the prog in your favor, email them with an "FYI" and restate your interest.

8. VentdependenT

VentdependenT You didnt build thaT
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I don't think september is too late for a letter but its cutting it close. It may come in late but for ERAS purposes that doesn't matter. Programs will initially send out a deluge of interviews based almost entirely on USMLE scores. At least thats what I believe because I had ZERO letters in when I began receiving invites.