Interviews and Budget

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cjfarrell21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's still early in the season, and I understand that not attending an interview and withdrawing your application pre-acceptance is a risk in and of it's own, but obviously money is finite and must be taken into account. I feel everybody has some sort of hierarchy of schools they aspire to attend, and if you have II's at a few of those schools, would it be a detriment to not attend an II at a school that you consider lower on your hierarchy? At what point would you, SDN, consider it "ok" to start being selective with which interviews you attend?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd attend every single one until I was accepted.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, you can start being selective with interviews you attend once you have at least one acceptance in hand. At that point you can keep attending interviews that are higher on the hierarchy and withdraw from those that are lower.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the above posters. But budget well because you don't know how many interviews you are going to need before you get accepted. My dad knows a kid who attended 18 interviews last year and wasn't accepted until number 18. Extreme case but you get the point

Just curious more than anything. Kinda figured that was the case... better safe than sorry. An extra $300+ is better than the stress and cost of another interview cycle

You could always try to schedule the schools (that are lower on your hierarchy) later, giving yourself more time to get an acceptance and not have to go.
So, if the first date they offer is october 1st, try to schedule one instead in november
imho

You could always try to schedule the schools (that are lower on your hierarchy) later, giving yourself more time to get an acceptance and not have to go.
So, if the first date they offer is october 1st, try to schedule one instead in november
imho

I thought about this... But does it look bad on my end? I wouldn't obviously tell them they aren't one of my top choices, but wouldn't they maybe get that vibe based on a request?

I thought about this... But does it look bad on my end? I wouldn't obviously tell them they aren't one of my top choices, but wouldn't they maybe get that vibe based on a request?

How would a school know what fits your schedule. Interviews are given with multiple dates you can attend because they know you have other commitments. Stop over thinking what looks bad and what doesn't.