Interviews and Fourth Year Scheduling

Started by dunkindona
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dunkindona

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am trying to figure out when to schedule in vacation to minimize the stress of interview season. At this point, I am definitely psychiatry or neurology bound but am uncertain about the interview seasons for these fields. Can I get an opinion on when I should schedule vacation? I have a two month window...

1. November-December
2. December-January
 
Main "season" is between Nov and Jan, minus some holidays. I am having a hard time actually showing up for rotations!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
December-January will give you the most bang for your buck I think-you will probaly just start hearing back from most places early November.
 
I had planned on doing most of my interviews during December-January and scheduled my time off accordingly. I submitted my application as soon as I could and started getting interview offers for November within a few weeks. It turns out most of my interviews are in November-December and I really did not get very many January offers.

PS-I've even had a few October and February offers, FYI
 
I guess it would help to clarify where I will be applying to get a sense of where I might possibly get interviews. Here is my very early list, in no particular order.

Baylor College of Medicine
Partners
UPenn
UCSF
Columbia
UCLA
UWash
WashU
Stanford
Hopkins

I am an MD/PhD student and will submit early.