Interviews and working

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessicaday95

Reaction score
Let me just start by saying I love my job. I work as an ED tech and I enjoy going to work. But, there's been a ton of turnover in my department recently and I signed up for quite a few open shifts for the month of september and moved up to full time starting in october. However, I was fortunate enough to receive 7 II's so far and trying to schedule them has been a nightmare. There is no one available to pick up my shifts or trades get rejected because they incur overtime. I'm currently in my gap year and this was going to be my main job (I also waitress and bartend) while I'm applying. I've been encouraged by a lot of people to "just quit" and I always said I'd never do that because I enjoy my job and I don't want to leave them in an even worse place staffing wise. But lately I've been considering whether I have to resign. I have only been able to schedule 4 of the interviews, one of which I booked a flight for before finding someone to pick up my shift because it's my dream school and I still haven't been able to find someone to work for me. I'm a little but not super worried about losing the income because honestly I make way more money in a shorter amount of time waitressing than at the ER. I am worried about how this will look when I go interview and I say that I was working in the ER and quit even though it was in a lot of my secondary essays as my plan for my gap year. Any advice or encouragement would be really appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Sit down with whoever manages your shift times. Explain the situation and be very clear. You're willing to work there but these interviews absolutely take priority. Don't frame this in a rude way; just be very upfront and business-like. Explain you love your job but you're not willing to risk your future.

I highly doubt anyone would rather have their newly-appointed FT employee quit rather than miss a couple shifts. Those shifts and many more will be unfilled if you quit. Good luck!

In the event they let you go, simply say "I was forced to choose to come here to speak with you or work in the ED. I chose to come here" to interviewers. It's professional, to the point, and doesn't involve any further comments/speaking badly of others.

Reactions: 5 users
Let me just start by saying I love my job. I work as an ED tech and I enjoy going to work. But, there's been a ton of turnover in my department recently and I signed up for quite a few open shifts for the month of september and moved up to full time starting in october. However, I was fortunate enough to receive 7 II's so far and trying to schedule them has been a nightmare. There is no one available to pick up my shifts or trades get rejected because they incur overtime. I'm currently in my gap year and this was going to be my main job (I also waitress and bartend) while I'm applying. I've been encouraged by a lot of people to "just quit" and I always said I'd never do that because I enjoy my job and I don't want to leave them in an even worse place staffing wise. But lately I've been considering whether I have to resign. I have only been able to schedule 4 of the interviews, one of which I booked a flight for before finding someone to pick up my shift because it's my dream school and I still haven't been able to find someone to work for me. I'm a little but not super worried about losing the income because honestly I make way more money in a shorter amount of time waitressing than at the ER. I am worried about how this will look when I go interview and I say that I was working in the ER and quit even though it was in a lot of my secondary essays as my plan for my gap year. Any advice or encouragement would be really appreciated.
@jessicaday95 ... if you told me your plans for a gap year had changed, and you needed to work in a different job to pay your bills, and for other practical and personal reasons (e.g., medical school interviews), I would say "I understand."

You'll be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Something similar happened to me. Didn't expect to get a bunch of interviews so early where I'm missing so many days. My plans have changed because of this from what I put on some of my applications and if asked I'm just going to explain that.