Interviews - are they ever rude?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adizzle87

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had an interview where the interviewer would be rude to you on intentionally to see how you would react?

For some odd reason I always think that this is likely to happen, as a way to gauge one's ability to handle a patient who is difficult. Has this ever happened to anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

the interviewer i had at NYU was INFAMOUS for being cold and uncaring... he kept on repeating/rephrasing questions and looked very disinterested. lucky for me i had read about him before so i was somewhat prepared. i heard some interviewers from columbia were like that also... altho i loved the interviewer i had haha

Ive also heard rumors that some are like that....I bet every school has a few...also the younger you are the more you are going to get grilled to see how mature you are.

Members don't see this ad :)
ucon was like that for me, they complained i had a B+ in biochemistry II, just above all stay calm, never interrupt and make sure you phrase your responses eloquently and do not stumble around. Make your point, and explain why xxx is.

edit* - not to say that the Uconn dental program isn't simply amazing, bc it is is (any everything is like brand new)...just the interview is fairly intense :eek:

Last edited:
ucon was like that for me, they complained i had a B+ in biochemistry II, just above all stay calm, never interrupt and make sure you phrase your responses eloquently and do not stumble around. Make your point, and explain why xxx is.

edit* - not to say that the Uconn dental program isn't simply amazing, bc it is is (any everything is like brand new)...just the interview is fairly intense :eek:

Did you guys still keep a smile on or would that be awkward?

Has anyone ever had an interview where the interviewer would be rude to you on intentionally to see how you would react?

For some odd reason I always think that this is likely to happen, as a way to gauge one's ability to handle a patient who is difficult. Has this ever happened to anyone?

the reason is not to know if u can handle difficult person or situation.

Instead, they want to know if u really want their school!

HANG IN THERE! ;)IF U are applying to that school for admission!

Yea, I got that "rude" guy at NYU... this sorta turned me off to the school, despite all the shiny-new facilities. I really wanted to sock him in the face... he basically insulted me like 5 times...

Yea, I got that "rude" guy at NYU... this sorta turned me off to the school, despite all the shiny-new facilities. I really wanted to sock him in the face... he basically insulted me like 5 times...

Anyway, all my interviewers and staffs were really nice.

Without pain, no gain!
Without pain, no happiness!

Without the pain, u wil never know the value of acheivements and ur victory!

U should know the meaning of ur sucess for more progress.

To know the meaning of ur sucess, it's inevitable to look around you.

See?

You are sucessful! Cuz, u are genius!

:poke:

Anyway, I really want to acheive solid 3.0 posts. It's really difficult!

the interviewer i had at NYU was INFAMOUS for being cold and uncaring... he kept on repeating/rephrasing questions and looked very disinterested. lucky for me i had read about him before so i was somewhat prepared. i heard some interviewers from columbia were like that also... altho i loved the interviewer i had haha

is the name and information about the guy listed on interview feedback?

who was that interviewer from NYU??:eek:

Do you mind if I ask, what were the insults? Maybe you took it the wrong way? :oops:

Right at the start of my interview one of them made a political joke/reference to my career. Not a great start. The same person also pretty much didn't think I could handle the school. He kept saying it in numerous ways. He said early on that the school would flunk me out if I did poorly. This was completely opposite from what the Associate Dean for Admissions Dr. Thibodeau mentioned earlier when asked the question from another student. "If we accept you we will graduate you" I did not bring this up to the interviewer as it have been inappropriate. I left the interview exhausted. This was my fourth interview so it wasn't my first time around the block. I spent about a half hour defending my education and ability which they clearly thought I was lacking. It felt like they thought I should be sticking to the west coast or some easier school. I actually think one of my interviewers just started interviewing students. Nothing like being the punching bag for the new guy. If I had already been accepted from another school I would have seriously thought about taking the interview in another direction. It is too bad how one faculty member can ruin your day and impression.

I would complain but I want to go there so I'm not looking to rock the boat. The only good I got from this interview was some very good practice on dealing with a hostile interview. It is always fun to second guess what you should have said during the interview once you get back home. PM if you want to know more about my interview day and hope you don't get my interviewer. School and students and Dr. Thibodeau were awesome.

Last edited:
I got the same interviewer. He tore through my application and had me explain some of my grades, my study habits and ask me to explain detailed dental procedures. He kept saying that he wasn't sure if I could make it through the first two years.

I'll be honest, it was the toughest interview that I've had, but I respect him for being honest and straight forward. Looking back, I actually enjoyed the interview better than most of the others.

is this nyu interviewer equally as harsh on females? has anyone ever cried at their interviews?

At my interview at Stonybrook last week, my interviewer began every question with hell, either what the hell or why the hell, every single question. Maybe he was trying to rattle me. I just pretended that he was polite and answered the question to the best of my ability.

is this nyu interviewer equally as harsh on females? has anyone ever cried at their interviews?

Cry? Are you going to cry when your procedures don't go as planned?

Yes people have cried at interviews... I have heard of it...
I felt my interviewer at Columbia was rude, she would ask me something and would forget what I said seconds later.

NYU does flunk ppl during the four years so i guess at least you can't say you were not warned if you happen to get that interviewer...

hahahaha, keep em coming.