Interviews..can you reschedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EricOH

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!
I just got my first letter for an interview. There is hope after being buried in all the secondaries! However I have a question regarding re-scheduling the interview. The interview is for Des Moines Univ. Osteopathic Med school on Sept. 28th. I had made other plans for the same day, and was wondering if it would be a problem or hurt my chances of getting in? I could reschedule my prior engagement but it would be a bit of a headache. Anyhow, thanks for your help! Best wishes and good luck all!!

-Eric

Members don't see this ad.

Usually they will reschedule. And, remember people have lives. They make plans, that is normal. To reschedule should not hurt your chances.

Toran

Thanks for your prompt reply Toran!
I was wondering if I do re-schedule for a later date, it might hurt my chances since a person will be able to get a spot earlier than I? Since the spaces are filled in order, therefore a person who interviews before me may get my spot? Thanks for your help! :)

-Eric

Members don't see this ad :)
EricOH.... If you need to reschedule you can do it.... DMU is student friendly unlike some other medical schools.... That's a pretty early interview.... Good luck and hope to see you on campus during the interview day.

BTW, check out www.interviewfeedback.com for questions that you can practice on for the DMU interview.... Oh yeah... it's under the medical school name "University of Osteopathic Medicine and Health Sciences" - which was the old name of DMU....

Hey all,

Thanks for all your help!
Ahh Popoy, nice to hear that they are so friendly! After getting the letter I searched online for "medical school interviews" and that website popped up. Thanks for the info! It seems like people thought the interview at DMU was friendly and pretty easy. Cool deal! Also is the school known as Univ. of Osteopathic Med. Iowa? I think it was like COM (IA) or something like that.
Popoy, so you don't think it will hurt my chance if I get a later interview date?
I hope to see you on the interview day too! Thanks again!

-Eric

Personally, I don't think your chances are gonna be worst by interviewing late.... DMU is very selective of who they interview. Usually if you got an interview then your chances are pretty good.... The interview is pretty laid back at DMU.... ;)

Later and good luck :cool:

Hey Popoy,

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it! How do you like DMU? Have classes started? Take care.

One of my fellow classmate is a part of the medical student diary section of SDN... you may want to check it out.

Medical school started about a month ago.... geez.... I can't even remember when it started....

I'm lovin' every minute of medical school.... I think a part of it is because the students here at DMU are really friendly and are willing to help others out.... Not cutthroat at all....

It's not all well, but we all manage to stay afloat.... Some are struggling than other.... I'm pretty lucky to have met a couple of classmates to study with so although I'm busy I'm havin' the time of my life....

I'm sure you'll hear this a lot so I'll say it as well.... Once you interview here, you'll realize the friendly/student oriented atmosphere I'm talking about....

BTW, OMM is very strong here at DMU and we learn more techniques than any school.... I'm sure others may contest.... But I'm stickin' to my answer that DMU will teach you more techniques than any school.... All the students practically eat, breath, practice OMM here 24/7.... Hang out at the atrium and you'll see students practicing on each other.... If you're lucky a second year my even treat you from head to toe!!!

Few advice prior to entering, if you so decide on DMU.... Take some of the classes that you will have your first year in medical school at your undergrad institution so that you'll be well prepare the second time around.... That's if you have time.

Here are some suggestions:
Biochem
Anatomy
EMBRYOLOGY!!!-- This is independent study here at DMU-- and noone's liking it-- so if you can take this in your undergrad to better understand this. DMU is not the only med school that does this, btw.
Histology

There's more but I'm just throwing out ideas there.... It'll help with the transition.

Anyway.... I need to go study now.... We have the white coat ceremony tomorrow which will practically take my entire day away....

Post up any specific questions you may have and I'll be more than happy to answer any of them to the best of my abilities....

Good luck as always, :cool:

Hey Popoy,

Wow! Thanks for all the info!! :D Sounds like a very nice school, a different atmosphere than the cutthroat pre-meds at UCSD. ;)

Ahh the classes of first year are tough eh? I heard from some med students that histology is really tough. I took metabolic and structural biochem during undergrad, so I hope that helps! I will look into the other subjects as well, especially embryology.

I will look into the diary on-line. Thanks again for the info and help. Take care!

Good luck to you....

Just to clarify something.... It's the shear VOLUME of material in a set amount of time that makes medical school tough.... Not the material itself.... it's a matter of shear volume.... :)

Hope you'll like the visit here.... I'm from California, myself, and I'm likin' it here.... Des Moines is not a big city that's for sure compared to Cali....

Later, :D

Hey Popoy

Ahh the volume! ;) I bet...You guys don't have lives, heh. Cool I'm looking forward to it.

A fellow Californian! What's up dude! j/k
Where you from? I'm from San Diego 20 years there and UCSD.

Take care

From the Bay Area.... Union City, to be exact... Northern Cali rocks!!! ;)

I went to UCDavis.... I was sold to DMU for many reasons.... students, faculty, reputation, OMM....

During this year, you'll be receiving interview invites and you'll find that right university for you.... DMU just turned out to be the right one for me.... There's actually a lot of students from Cali here.... You'll be surprise, we have a couple from Alaska, one from Hawaii.... A very diverse group of individuals....

As far as lives.... Well.... You pick and choose your battles.... I haven't met a student at DMU, yet, that is not having a good time.... We all work hard, but play hard as well....

:cool:

Popoy,

Hey..cool the bay area and UCD.

Thanks for all your input. That is cool that the school is so diverse. Hopefully I will find the right one for me!

Sounds like a good philosophy on studying and playing hard! Well good luck! Thanks again!

EricOH,

I just found out from the admissions office that Sept 28th is actually the first group of interviewees.... I might get a chance to meet you as I will try to have lunch with the interviewees that day.... Having lunch is a part of the interview day....

Maybe I'll see you then.... :)

Hey Popoy,

Wow, the first set of interviews... Pretty cool. ;) That'll be cool to meet you! Oh yeah, do you have any recommendations on places to stay? I looked at the info they sent me, and the Hotel Savery seems good since they have shuttles. Well, hope to see you there. Take care.

I'm not the person to recommend any hotels, but I heard that all the suggested ones are pretty good....

When I interviewed DMU gave us a list of student host.... You may want to inquire about that....

Good luck again, :cool: