Interviews, Waitlists, no acceptances yet...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heliscomo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't understand why people are so caught up on a schools ranking. Rankings are pretty subjective and not always indicative of selectivity.

With 7 interviews you have a great chance of getting accepted into medical school. You only need 1 acceptance to be a doctor. Waitlists are not a death sentence either. It really depends on the school. Some schools will waitlist almost everyone (especially out of state applicants), but the movement on those lists is insane.

Just be confident in yourself as an applicant and rock your last interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
The fact that you have received 7 interview invites to date indicates that your application is pretty strong.

You still have 4 schools pending to go with your 2 waitlists.

Like omno said, it only takes one school. And the fact you have 7 opportunities should be encouraging, not discouraging.

dude people like you annoy me...do you understand how privileged you are to have 7 interviews...I have 1 interview completed and 1 more to go and I am super excited...it seems like you just need some attention and patting on the back

you're going to be fine, sheesh.

I totally understand. I'm not ungrateful AT ALL for these interviews and I am super excited about every single one and would LOVE to attend any of these schools. I know I'm lucky and I wish you a ton of luck at the school you interviewed at and your upcoming one! Sorry it's just easy to get lost and stressed when people you are surrounded by everyday are hearing acceptances and you're still waiting. I know we're all in a similar boat, sorry

OP

Pay no mind to these goobers getting mad at you for being worried about your interviews. I don't know exactly what it is you said since you edited your OP so soon, but if has anything to do with you being worried about interviews at top schools, then you can write off most of these posters as sour grapes. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you were worried about your chances of getting accepted at your top choice/ranked schools. You don't have to be socially awkward to not receive an acceptance at those schools because, frankly, there are so many great applicants that an interview alone might not be enough to sway the decision in your favor. Don't be sorry for having questions or coming off as ungrateful. Understand that though some of these guys have little to no interviews, it's through no fault of your own. You shouldn't apologize for having such an app that afforded you so many interviews. Your biggest goal should be to get into the school that gives you rank the highest and you enjoyed the most! And if you have been waitlisted there, you have every right to be panicking, regardless of the number of interviews you've had.

Good luck with your future acceptances :thumbup:

haters_gonna_hate.gif

I totally understand. I'm not ungrateful AT ALL for these interviews and I am super excited about every single one and would LOVE to attend any of these schools. I know I'm lucky and I wish you a ton of luck at the school you interviewed at and your upcoming one! Sorry it's just easy to get lost and stressed when people you are surrounded by everyday are hearing acceptances and you're still waiting. I know we're all in a similar boat, sorry

I don't know what you posted before since you edited them all, but you can worry and be anxious, even with 7 interviews. Frankly, we're all in the same boat until we get accepted--pending interviews or not. You have a bigger chance of getting accepted because you have more interviews, but until you get that acceptance call/email/letter of course there's still anxiety.
You don't need to apologize so much. Best of luck for the rest of the cycle!

--edit--

Oh, Fivo beat me to it. :p

thanks for your responses!!

long story short, I have had 7 interview invites and attended six already (I have one next week).

I have gotten waitlisted from 2 of my interviews and rejected from one. The other 3 I will not hear back until January/March.

I am just a bit anxious as you can understand and am hoping that I will get in somewhere. At least statistically, I should. The rejection was from the highest ranked school I applied to/interviewed at (a top 20), so I was not too surprised about that, but it still hurt.

Thanks, though, for your responses.

OP, I read your original post (not the ones afterward though that got edited) and I didn't get the impression you were ungrateful at all. Don't allow the bitter comments of others to become something you take to heart. I had several interviews either finished off or lined up before an acceptance, and it worried me until I had something concrete in my hands.

That being said, yes there are plenty of other factors than your interview which determine your acceptance. Can you control most of them at this moment, probably not? If you still have other interviews approaching, I would really try and understand what I could do better in presenting myself. They obviously saw something very promising in your application, you just have to bring that to light. Sometimes people think it isn't their interview that cost them an acceptance, but again I think it's hard to be a good judge of that all the time.

I would reach out to an interviewing service at your school if you're still in college, practice some more and ask them advice on how you can improve. Also that interview feedback forum is gold. Try and look over your application, figuring out what makes you diverse, why you're a great fit for the school you're interviewing at, and why you're passionate about pursuing medicine. At the end of the day, it's one of the only things you can control. If youre worried about how the cycle is going, you can still work on this last bit. I hope that helps, and congrats on your interviews. I wish you the best this cycle =)

Agree with the above. No matter how many interviews you have, there's no guarantee that you're getting in. At this point, its best to work on your interview skills as much as possible. The book posted above is a pretty good start.

You're doing very well. You aren't privileged to have 7 interviews, you earned them. Don't mind the negative things people say because as others have said, you don't have anything without an acceptance package in hand. All you can do now is to try to improve your interviewing skills in the time you have remaining and make sure you do a good job of representing yourself at the places you've yet to visit. Don't take anything for granted but try not to stress yourself too much.

thanks for your responses!!

long story short, I have had 7 interview invites and attended six already (I have one next week).

I have gotten waitlisted from 2 of my interviews and rejected from one. The other 3 I will not hear back until January/March.

I am just a bit anxious as you can understand and am hoping that I will get in somewhere. At least statistically, I should. The rejection was from the highest ranked school I applied to/interviewed at (a top 20), so I was not too surprised about that, but it still hurt.

Thanks, though, for your responses.

op, i think practicing your interview skills will make you feel less anxious. looks like you posted some retaliatory comment and deleted/edited your posts.

to summarize, you may suffer from interviexia nervousa. the cure is: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0615353916/ref=nosim/studentdoctor-20

Last edited:
Just realize that with 7 interviews, it's statistically very unlikely for you not to get into medical school this year (unless you come off as a serial killer in your interviews).

So basically, maybe look up a John Wayne Gacy interview or something, and act the exact opposite of that. But yeah, you'll be fine.

PS - lana, I can't PM you. i have a q to ask, pm me.