Interviews--where to stay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

danzgymn86

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, random question. It's my understanding that you can't get a hotel room unless you are at least 25, correct? For those of you who had interviews, how did you make a reservation? Did the school do it? Did you always stay with a grad student? Or did your parents or someone over 25 make the reservation for you??

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I know that in California and New York you don't need to be 25 to make a hotel reservation. Can't help you with the rest of the country, sorry.

The only time I have ever had a problem reserving a hotel room was when I was in high school (because I didn't have a credit card). Otherwise, I'm simply asked for a credit card to reserve the room and if I can produce one, they give me a room. Simple enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, I've never heard of such a thing. How do all those high school kids hang out with their people at the Holiday Innnn? :p Maybe 25 is just for rental cars.

But in all seriousness, if you have no friends or relatives in the area, call admissions & ask if, college style, there are any current students who house prospective students for a night or 2. Could be an inexpensive option. But if you want guaranteed comfort and can spend a little more, you'll probably be OK with hotels even if you're not 25.

Grad students will typically host some of the applicants, in my experience. One school was nice enough to pay for my hotel the night before, and, because no flights were returning the evening of the interviews, paid for an extra night for me too. I've heard of some programs that only reimburse for some of the hotel costs (boo!) or leave you to find your own lodgings (double boo!).

I think the 25 & over thing only applies for rental cars. Hotels are supposedly 18+ but most won’t turn down you business even if you are under 18- so it shouldn't be a problem if you need a room. If you need a rental car (although you prob won't), Enterprise rents to people over 21 for an extra flat fee (which varies by location from about $0-60).

I am 22 and sitting in a hotel as we speak. That being said, I think your best bet is to stay with a graduate student, if possible. You will learn a lot more about the program and the professors that way, and you will be ahead of the game for the interview. You may also discover that you really don't like a school before the interview, which happened to me, lol.

None of my interviews reimbursed me for anything! Lucky any of you whose programs did.

I agree with Irish. I think the time spent with grad students is invaluable and should be taken advantage of by those who have that opportunity. You can learn a lot more by casual time spent with those already in the program than you can on the formal interview day.

BTW, I've never heard of anything than "over 18" and with a credit card for getting a hotel room.

Try to stay with grad students if at all possible. It 'should' give you a better idea of what all is involved. Not everyone will be great, but you'll probably get more from the experience than a hotel stay.

I did this when I interviewed, and I also hosted people in the past years....and overall it was a good experience. I did have one person who was completely inappropriate (no manners, not mature, rude, etc).....and needless to say, she did not get in. So if you stay with someone, please remember your manners!

:laugh:

-t

Try to stay with grad students if at all possible. It 'should' give you a better idea of what all is involved. Not everyone will be great, but you'll probably get more from the experience than a hotel stay.

I did this when I interviewed, and I also hosted people in the past years....and overall it was a good experience. I did have one person who was completely inappropriate (no manners, not mature, rude, etc).....and needless to say, she did not get in. So if you stay with someone, please remember your manners!

:laugh:

-t

I'll second that one. Staying with grad students is the best option and will give you a perspective of the school beyond the persona on interview day. But I will also second that you will be constantly interviewed if you do stay with them. One extreme example was the story of an interviewee who stayed with a grad student and kicked the grad student's cat. Needless to say, he did not get in. Just keep on your toes.

And rental cars are the only thing that you may have to be 25 for (some companies allow it for younger ages). You should be able to get hotels if you need to.

Staying at a hotel or with a graduate student can be your best option but you won’t know until you get there and by then it’s too late. Staying with a grad student is better if you end up in a clean place with a decent “bed” to sleep on. I found that it relieves some nervousness to talk with a grad student ahead of time. It also helps to have a person that you can talk to at social functions when things gets slow or you have already made the rounds and run out of smiles and bull****.

However, if you end up in a dirty apartment on a nasty couch or sleeping on a hardwood floor in a house where the heat it not on (in February!) you won’t get any sleep and it makes the interview day miserable. Remember you have to wear a smile all day and be engaged. I had experiences on both ends of the spectrum. If money isn’t a problem just get a room and get some sleep if you are particular about it. Only one of the grad homes I stayed at was actually restful. It's a compromise between extra info and extra sleep.:sleep:

It's funny that I gave the advice to stay with the grad students, but like a couple of others here, I preferred to stay on my own and did so. I have the tendency to not sleep well, especially when I have a lot on my mind. I was worried that I would be housed with a grad student who only had floorspace or lumpy couch for me to sleep on, so I chose to stay at a hotel instead.

As Psychplease mentioned, you *should* get lots of time with grad students throughout the course of the day, so if you are more comfortable staying in a hotel, it shouldn't be a big deal. Maybe before you make your decision, you should inquire with the program about how much time you will get with students during interview day and make your decision with that in mind.

~slightly off-topic, but since we answered the original question...

Are those of you who are going to grad school next year planning on offering your homes to host next year's interviewees? Based on your experiences this year, what will you do to help them feel more calm and ready for interview day?

Are those of you who are going to grad school next year planning on offering your homes to host next year's interviewees? Based on your experiences this year, what will you do to help them feel more calm and ready for interview day?

I will help interviewees by not offering what will inevitably be my small 1 bedroom or efficiency apartment with no place for them to sleep comfortably. If they knew, they would thank me. Otherwise I would give them a tour of campus and the psychology building before the interview day and try to give them some personal space to relax.