Where, Oh Where Are The Postdoc Positions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PX1985

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Internship year is underway and postdoc applications are looming. However, I can't seem to find many listings for clinical psychology postdocs in the NYC area. I've checked APPIC's listed sites--and there are a few--but less than I was expecting. There are also several postings on websites like indeed, monster, etc, but fewer than expected.

To those who have already gone through the process: where are these positions listed? Are there really just that many fewer postings than internship?

Still not even sure if postdoc is the route I'd like to go. Considering just applying to jobs with a limited permit. Have you had any success with that? Currently not getting much support from my internship placement in this regard.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I've started seeing the neuropsychology fellowship postings roll out, but those tend to precede non-neuro positions by a month or two, typically. So I'd expect you to start seeing more probably over the next couple months.

Professional listservs and professional society websites were the main places I looked back when I was on the postdoc hunt.

Reactions: 1 users
I've started seeing the neuropsychology fellowship postings roll out, but those tend to precede non-neuro positions by a month or two, typically. So I'd expect you to start seeing more probably over the next couple months.

Professional listservs and professional society websites were the main places I looked back when I was on the postdoc hunt.

I see! That is reassuring. Any specific recommendations for listservs or professional society websites? Recently joined APPIC's postdoc listserv, but the content has mostly been about organizing a timeline for the application process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many places have hiring freezes right now and I imagine a very large number of others are at least delaying searches until they can see how finances shake out a little more. That said, I'm also seeing a reasonable number of postings on listservs since grant-funded positions remain (relatively) stable and hiring freezes do not always apply to them.

As for specific listservs - depends what you want to do. I'm only only on a handful of specialty addiction/health-psych ones. I imagine ABCT and ACBS are good general ones if you are more clinically-focused.

For university counseling center postdocs: University Counseling Jobs

Used to be called PICC (Positions in Counseling Centers) and had quite a few postdoc positions back in the day.

I always learn about postdoc positions at conferences, not sure how that info was shared through virtual conferences. Perhaps just on their website or whatever listserv they use.

Hi! What kind of postdocs are you looking for? If they're related to kids I can probably recommend some places because I applied almost exclusively in NYC last year.

Anyone have a list of forensic/correctional post docs(besides the appic website)? I’ll pay you in memes.

Hi! What kind of postdocs are you looking for? If they're related to kids I can probably recommend some places because I applied almost exclusively in NYC last year.

Hi! Thank you for offering to help out. I'm looking mostly for sites that provide adult-therapy services, although I'm open to working with teens/young adults. College counseling sites and outpatient clinics are preferred!

With it being specific to NYC, you could try joining the state/local psych association(s) to keep an eye on their listserv.

I'd also say you could check in with VA colleagues to forward what comes across VA listservs, but I'm not sure how many of those would actually be in NYC itself.

The deluge of neuropsych postdoc listings has definitely begun, so I would expect some of the more generalist-oriented sites to start advertising within the next month.

Oh wow yes! Thank you!!

Just an FYI on that list; not all of those are approved for ABFP for the 5 year waiver. There are also some on that list that I would avoid like the plague, as you will be used for business purposes only (i.e., you are going to be used [exploited] solely as labor for bottom line).

Last edited:
Just an FYI on that list; not all of those are approved for ABFP for the 5 year waiver. There are also some on that list that I would avoid like the plague, as you will be used for business purposes only (i.e., you are going to be used [exploited] solely as labor for bottom line).
What?? Which ones?? I’m too young to be exploited!
But seriously, I was looking at the 3 in WA and 1 in OR so if anyone has scary stories to share about those 4, please let me know.

What?? Which ones?? I’m too young to be exploited!
But seriously, I was looking at the 3 in WA and 1 in OR so if anyone has scary stories to share about those 4, please let me know.

NWFI & Western State are HIGHLY regarded from everyone I've ever talked to. The Child one that's affiliated with Western State is brand new, but I'm assuming it's also going to get the waiver once they're more established.

Please let me know which ones too! I'll be applying soon and am definitely curious!

Applications are being accepted for a Forensic Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship. The Brochure is attached.

Postdoctoral Fellowship in Forensic Psychology
Job Posting: November 1, 2020 – January 18, 2021
Location: Mississippi State Hospital, Whitfield, Mississippi (Jackson Metro Area)
Number of Openings: 1
Job: Healthcare
Shift: Days (occasional evenings may be required)
Advertised Salary: $49,465

Description
The Forensic Services Unit at Mississippi State Hospital (MSH) is seeking qualified candidates for the Postdoctoral Training Program in Forensic Psychology with the MSH Behavioral Health Services Department in Whitfield, Mississippi.

The Forensic Services Unit at MSH is comprised of 64 beds on three different buildings (35-bed maximum-security male inpatient unit, 21-bed medium security male inpatient ward, 8-bed medium security female inpatient ward). The Forensic Services Unit has a Forensic Treatment Service (FTS) and a Forensic Evaluation Service (FES). The Forensic Services Unit provides four different types of services: (1) Outpatient forensic criminal evaluations; (2) Inpatient forensic criminal evaluations; (3) Court competence restoration; and (4) Treatment for long-term patients adjudicated Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity (NGRI). Other non-forensic (i.e., civilly committed) patients are sometimes treated on the forensic unit due to their aggressive behavior and need for treatment within a more secure unit.

As the only state-operated inpatient forensic service in Mississippi, the staff of the Forensic Services Unit regularly conducts a number of different types of pretrial and post-conviction criminal forensic evaluations. The Forensic Psychology Fellow is part of FES. FES provides pretrial and post-conviction inpatient and outpatient forensic mental health evaluations of adult criminal defendants, and rarely juvenile defendants who have been waived to adult court, for Mississippi Circuit Courts in all 82 counties across the state.

The most frequently referred issues include evaluations of competence to stand trial, competence to waive or assert constitutional rights (including competence to waive Miranda rights), and mental state at the time of the alleged offense(s). Additional evaluation referrals include: capital sentencing/mitigation, pretrial evaluations of intellectual disability in capital murder cases (“Atkins evaluations”), and violence/sexual violence risk assessments.

Please contact me for additional information.

Amanda L. Gugliano, Psy.D.
Director, Forensic Evaluation Service
Mississippi State Hospital
PO Box 157-A, Building 43
Whitfield, MS 39193
601.351.8606 (o)
[email protected]

Attachments

• MSH Forensic Fellowship Brochure.pdf
    217.2 KB · Views: 96
Applications are being accepted for a Forensic Psychology Postdoctoral Fellowship. The Brochure is attached.

Postdoctoral Fellowship in Forensic Psychology
Job Posting: November 1, 2020 – January 18, 2021
Location: Mississippi State Hospital, Whitfield, Mississippi (Jackson Metro Area)
Number of Openings: 1
Job: Healthcare
Shift: Days (occasional evenings may be required)
Advertised Salary: $49,465

Description
The Forensic Services Unit at Mississippi State Hospital (MSH) is seeking qualified candidates for the Postdoctoral Training Program in Forensic Psychology with the MSH Behavioral Health Services Department in Whitfield, Mississippi.

The Forensic Services Unit at MSH is comprised of 64 beds on three different buildings (35-bed maximum-security male inpatient unit, 21-bed medium security male inpatient ward, 8-bed medium security female inpatient ward). The Forensic Services Unit has a Forensic Treatment Service (FTS) and a Forensic Evaluation Service (FES). The Forensic Services Unit provides four different types of services: (1) Outpatient forensic criminal evaluations; (2) Inpatient forensic criminal evaluations; (3) Court competence restoration; and (4) Treatment for long-term patients adjudicated Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity (NGRI). Other non-forensic (i.e., civilly committed) patients are sometimes treated on the forensic unit due to their aggressive behavior and need for treatment within a more secure unit.

As the only state-operated inpatient forensic service in Mississippi, the staff of the Forensic Services Unit regularly conducts a number of different types of pretrial and post-conviction criminal forensic evaluations. The Forensic Psychology Fellow is part of FES. FES provides pretrial and post-conviction inpatient and outpatient forensic mental health evaluations of adult criminal defendants, and rarely juvenile defendants who have been waived to adult court, for Mississippi Circuit Courts in all 82 counties across the state.

The most frequently referred issues include evaluations of competence to stand trial, competence to waive or assert constitutional rights (including competence to waive Miranda rights), and mental state at the time of the alleged offense(s). Additional evaluation referrals include: capital sentencing/mitigation, pretrial evaluations of intellectual disability in capital murder cases (“Atkins evaluations”), and violence/sexual violence risk assessments.

Please contact me for additional information.

Amanda L. Gugliano, Psy.D.
Director, Forensic Evaluation Service
Mississippi State Hospital
PO Box 157-A, Building 43
Whitfield, MS 39193
601.351.8606 (o)
[email protected]

We appreciate the heads up, but do not post multiple verbatim messages in different threads, it is against the TOS for the forums, and juts plain annoying.