Interviews while on Away Rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amp3r5and

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be on an away rotation for the month of October. I was offered an interview at a nearby (1.5 hours) program and scheduled for a January date. I was trying to reschedule for the date closest after I leave the away, but it is not available. However, there is a date during my rotation. Both programs are about 8 hours from where I'm based, so it would be awesome to be able to make a single trip....but I'm also considering if this is seriously frowned upon. Thoughts? Should I just keep the january date and hope the close date opens up?

Members don't see this ad.

Would you consider asking them to make up for the day you need to take off? You might have to come in for the weekend, but not a big deal if it saves you 8h of driving in January...

I was wondering the exact same thing! I have an away for Medicine Sub-Internship in November and so far have gotten several November interviews. How many day's can I take off? Is it appropriate to tell them I'm going to interview? I'm doing an away at a program that I'm highly interested in.

I will be facing the same problem. Not really sure how to handle it... especially when the interviews are on a wednesday and 1000+ miles away.

Too late for this year, but don't schedule aways during interview season for this reason.

Missing a single day/two days and making it up = usually not a problem.

Once you start missing more than that, you start to send the message that these other programs are more important than your away rotation.

Too late for this year, but don't schedule aways during interview season for this reason.

Missing a single day/two days and making it up = usually not a problem.

Once you start missing more than that, you start to send the message that these other programs are more important than your away rotation.

Thanks for chiming in, aProgDirector. I didn't anticipate so many October opportunities in my field and thought by taking Nov and Dec off I'd be safe. It's working out so far, but missing one day would certainly help me out in terms of travel. Guess I'll have to think it over a bit more.but I appreciate your thoughts.

So...got my situation worked out. Program was totally fine with accommodating an interview nearby. Not sure if everyone else will have the same luck, but hopefully.