Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
jashanley said:
UConn is a great program, great training, tons of pathology, great attendings.........fun residents and good basketball. Hartford is the pits but no one lives there, they have surrounding area to roam.

Don't think, schedule.

You convinced me...move UConn to the "pending" list.

Members don't see this ad.

WakeMedHeel said:
Staying in the southeast I see. :)

Indeed. It's too cold outside of here ;) That, and the minor drawback that I don't think my wife would come with me if I left :D

The last 2 weeks were nice, but things have really slowed down over here! Is anyone else besides those of you with 30 interviews feeling the same? I have not really received any invites this week, only rejections! This has not been a fun week (I know its only Tuesday!)

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel the same way. Duke just sent me a fifth rejection notice last night. I think they are sending someone out to my house later just to slap me around a little bit so I clearly get the picture. I think it might pick back up when some of the people with 867 interviews start declining some.

WilcoWorld said:
You convinced me...move UConn to the "pending" list.

Careful, my wife talked me into an interview at Mayo that at first I "didn't want". Look where that got me! :laugh:

:p You're going to UConn, You're going to UConn, Nahnee, Nahnee, boo, boo! :p

Seriously, the interviews you don't think you want can end up being at the place you really like. To all of the applicants - try to keep an open mind!

:cool:

- H

cowbydoc said:
I feel the same way. Duke just sent me a fifth rejection notice last night. I think they are sending someone out to my house later just to slap me around a little bit so I clearly get the picture. I think it might pick back up when some of the people with 867 interviews start declining some.

Same here. I'm not one of those with 20 interviews. I have 5. Haven't heard anything except for rejections over the last couple weeks...Oh well, maybe there is hope yet....

Rejected Today From UNM

Offer Last Night from MCG

Got the shaft today from Stanford. Here's where I stand:

Interviews Scheduled: :)

Fresno
Irvine
Highland
Davis
USC
UCSD
UNM
Loma Linda
Kern

Waiting: :sleep:

Denver
Harbor
Maricopa
Washington
OHSU
Olive- got some strange email saying...we're not offering you an email...but if we did these are the dates we are interviewing people... :confused:

Gave me the big fat middle finger: :mad:

Stanford

Any thoughts on the programs that I have scheduled interviews for?
Best wishes everyone!

Hey y'all:
First California love from Kern Medical Center. Just heard from them within hours ago. I'm so excited. The long spell of rejections just ended for now........ Good luck everyone!

:thumbup:

Woe is me, only four so far....

Detroit Medical Center
St. John's
West Virginia
and a player to be named later....

Big up to all de/ IMGs dealin' with too much suffration-

UC-Davis this evening. They're asking for copies of the complete EM rotation evals from the dean's office.

Interviews:

Regions
Sparrow
Indiana
Kalamazoo
Grand Rapids
Peoria
Duke
UAB (Snail Mail)
MCG

Rejections:

UNM
UNC
HCMC
Vandy
BIDMC
UCSD

Declined (Lack of Time/Money):

UCSF
Geisinger

Haven't Heard From: 13

Anyone hear from East Carolina or Carolinas yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
Stanford gave me the Heisman.

EMguy said:

I know a couple have heard from East Carolina. Carolinas said they'd be sending out interviews sometime this week, but I don't think anyone has heard from them so far.

Just heard from Maricopa - they apologized for being so late, so they know we've all been waiting with baited breath.

Harbor! :)

A big thank you to whoever declined their interview, allowing me to squeak in.

hopkins tues and cook county today

still no word from cmc... goodness

Hercules said:
Just got the Carolinas invite by e-mail!

Congrats...looks like you're one of the first to hear.

Just declined my interviews at:

Univ Michigan
Albert Einstein - Beth Israel
UCSF - Fresno
SUNY - Downstate

Hi all... I hope everyone is doing well, and settling into the interview swing of things. I got the Carolinas invite yesterday and have finalized my list.

My travel plans:

Maine
BIDMC
Christiana
Maryland
Pitt
UVA
UNC
Carolinas
UC - Irvine
Harbor
Stanford
OHSU

Declined: Indiana (Peds/EM), Brigham/MGH, UNM, UC-Davis

Did anybody else get this wait list e-mail from Wake. For those of you who currently have interviews at Wake. I command you to cancel them... Okay maybe not so much command as beg.

INTERVIEWS:
New York Hospital/Queens
North Shore
Yale
Hopkins
Wake
Mass Gen/BW
Boston Med Ctr
UPenn
Northwestern
UChicago
Cook County
Maryland
Stanford
UCLA-Olive View
UCSD
UMich (may cancel)
Wash U (may cancel)
Cinci (may cancel)

CANCELLED: Mayo, GWU, UPitt, Jacksonville, Orlando, South FL, Detroit Recieving, Sinai-Grace, Henry Ford, Beaumont, Mt Sinai

SHAQ'ED: BIDMC

NO WORD YET: Bellevue, NY Presbyterian, UCLA-Harbor

waterski232002 said:
INTERVIEWS:
New York Hospital/Queens
North Shore
Yale
Hopkins
Wake
Mass Gen/BW
Boston Med Ctr
UPenn
Northwestern
UChicago
Cook County
Maryland
Stanford
UCLA-Olive View
UCSD
UMich (may cancel)
Wash U (may cancel)
Cinci (may cancel)

CANCELLED: Mayo, GWU, UPitt, Jacksonville, Orlando, South FL, Detroit Recieving, Sinai-Grace, Henry Ford, Beaumont, Mt Sinai

SHAQ'ED: BIDMC

NO WORD YET: Bellevue, NY Presbyterian, UCLA-Harbor

Kept Cook County and cancelled Mayo?!? {shaking head, muttering under breath}

- H

I no longer have to neurotically check my e-mail every hour now that I heard from my last program. Here's my final list:

Interviews:
UAB
UVa
Emory
Orlando
Carolinas
UNC
Wake
Vandy
LSU-Charity
Jackson
2 Transitionals & 2 Prelims

Declined:
WashU
USF
Jacksonville
Duke
Palmetto
MCG

Good luck to everyone!

FoughtFyr said:
Kept Cook County and cancelled Mayo?!? {shaking head, muttering under breath}

- H

Note the geographic location of the programs....... The city takes high priority on my list

WakeMedHeel said:
Stanford gave me the Heisman.
I love this expression. :thumbup: You are clearly a person of intelligence, wit, and discernment. You shall go far.

waterski232002 said:
Note the geographic location of the programs....... The city takes high priority on my list

O.k., I'll be interested to see what you think of CC after your interview. And you still should have come up to Rochester. I'm from Chicago and I can tell you that for me the benefits of Mayo extremely outweigh the relatively minor downsides to Rochester. It is actually a pretty cool place to live.

- H

As someone who has been living in Minnesota for quite some time, I can tell you that Rochester is not a cool place to live. IMHO

EMguy said:

I heard from Carolinas on the 17th. Seems like they are starting to roll them out. I also have an interview at Brody @ ECU on Tuesday...it'll be my first, so I'm looking forward to gettting this show on the road (a very long road I might add)!!

Good luck to everyone out on the interview trail!

P.S. Anyone know anything about William Beaumont in Royal Oak or University of Chicago? They're the last two on my list of 22 schools to hear from. I will have to start cancelling soon (I have 20 invites thus far, only 13 acceptances from me, though...I'm not being greedy here!)

A little elf said:
As someone who has been living in Minnesota for quite some time, I can tell you that Rochester is not a cool place to live. IMHO

Really, let's see. On a resident's salary I can afford a 2400 sq. ft. (4 br., 2 bath) house, in an area with almost no crime. The schools are great, ranked among the top in the nation. The parks system and bike/jogging trails are unreal, more extensive than you could ever want. The Mayo Fellows' Association has everything from gourmet clubs to fantasy football leagues and with 1500+ members, it is pretty easy to find someone that shares your interests (to say nothing of the family members of those 1500). The restaurants are decent and varied (which says a lot given that I am from Chicago). And if needed, the Twin Cities are only an hour away. Even the single folks our program admit the night life is better than they expected (Mayo and IBM are the two biggest employers in town = young adult population).

So, as I am going off shift (on an IM month) in a bit to go help my wife make creme brulee' (sp?)(I get to use a blowtorch! :thumbup: ) for our gourmet club group's dinner tonight, I gotta tell you, life is good!

Just my $0.02 (actual cash value $0.005),

-H

foughtfyr -

i think a lot of what you like is b/c you're married, could have kids, etc... for singles who won't be having kids during residency, things like buying a house (esp for a 3-4 yr residency), schools are a lot less important than nightlife, # of other singles, what type of people the residency attracts... i for one have no interest in owning a house and the responsibilities it entails. you have to own a house for what 5 yrs before you usually even break even? i have spent 4 yrs in a singles hell so like waterski, and therefore have "city life" pretty high on my list of factors.

AMBinNC said:
foughtfyr -

i think a lot of what you like is b/c you're married, could have kids, etc... for singles who won't be having kids during residency, things like buying a house (esp for a 3-4 yr residency), schools are a lot less important than nightlife, # of other singles, what type of people the residency attracts... i for one have no interest in owning a house and the responsibilities it entails. you have to own a house for what 5 yrs before you usually even break even? i have spent 4 yrs in a singles hell so like waterski, and therefore have "city life" pretty high on my list of factors.

Fair enough, but the singles in our program are having fun too! It is really mind blowing, in my experience, to be part of a group of 1500 residents and fellows. Within the group itself there is always something to do. Which says nothing of the City outside. And hey, the Twin Cities are an hour away. I just think that the opporitunities here are incredible, and the City (nightlife, social scene, etc.) is nowhere as bad as people think. I certainly would not pass it by for a "lesser" program solely on location.

And BTW - the "break even" point on home ownership is roughly 3 years, a little less given the low interest rates. And resale here is a snap, just make sure you are "listed" two weeks after match day. 300 incoming resdients who have the same buying power (price range) you had.

And, after training in the lovely metropolis that is Rockford, IL, I do know what geographic hell feels like...

- H

FoughtFyr said:
Really, let's see. On a resident's salary I can afford a 2400 sq. ft. (4 br., 2 bath) house, in an area with almost no crime. The schools are great, ranked among the top in the nation. The parks system and bike/jogging trails are unreal, more extensive than you could ever want. The Mayo Fellows' Association has everything from gourmet clubs to fantasy football leagues and with 1500+ members, it is pretty easy to find someone that shares your interests (to say nothing of the family members of those 1500). The restaurants are decent and varied (which says a lot given that I am from Chicago). And if needed, the Twin Cities are only an hour away. Even the single folks our program admit the night life is better than they expected (Mayo and IBM are the two biggest employers in town = young adult population).

So, as I am going off shift (on an IM month) in a bit to go help my wife make creme brulee' (sp?)(I get to use a blowtorch! :thumbup: ) for our gourmet club group's dinner tonight, I gotta tell you, life is good!

Just my $0.02 (actual cash value $0.005),

-H

I appreciate the feedback.... I think you guys are just contrasting 2 different ideas of a "good city". Coming from Winston-Salem I can tell you that it's a great city to live in if you have a family, like outdoor activities, and are looking for low cost of living and a low crime rate. I, on the other hand, am single and am looking for inner city metropolitan action. Cost of living means nothing to me.... you can always make more money later in life, but you can never get back lost time and youth. I actually favor crime in my city to feed my ED with penetrating trauma at all hours of the day and night. I want a large bar/club scene with tons of young people (most of which are NOT in the health care industry). I went in to ED b/c I appreciate my time away from the hospital and away from the people at the hospital. Rochester sounds way too much like winston for me, but is probably excellent for slower or more family oriented people. To each his own.....

It was in the 70s today, sunny, and i am reading Tintinalli's on the floor of my living room with the balcony door wide open.

Oh yeah and the seafood is great.

And the girls.

Mmm... Tampa.

Q

USF just gave me the smackdown... :mad:

QuinnNSU said:
It was in the 70s today, sunny, and i am reading Tintinalli's on the floor of my living room with the balcony door wide open.

And the girls.

Mmm... Tampa.

Q

QuinnNSU said:

And the girls.

Mmm... Tampa.

Q

As a former Floridian, I second the notion that Tampa is a cool place. Also Quinn, don't forget mention the great Windsurfing on Tampa Bay (if you like that kinda thing). :)

USF Rejection today but ECU offer last Friday.

:thumbup:

Dont know if anyone is waiting for St.Lukes-Roos but there may be more spots opening up for interviews.... not sure yet, but I'll keep anyone interested updated.

waterski232002 said:
I appreciate the feedback.... I think you guys are just contrasting 2 different ideas of a "good city". Coming from Winston-Salem I can tell you that it's a great city to live in if you have a family, like outdoor activities, and are looking for low cost of living and a low crime rate. I, on the other hand, am single and am looking for inner city metropolitan action. Cost of living means nothing to me.... you can always make more money later in life, but you can never get back lost time and youth. I actually favor crime in my city to feed my ED with penetrating trauma at all hours of the day and night. I want a large bar/club scene with tons of young people (most of which are NOT in the health care industry). I went in to ED b/c I appreciate my time away from the hospital and away from the people at the hospital. Rochester sounds way too much like winston for me, but is probably excellent for slower or more family oriented people. To each his own.....
Dude, you need to join me in Los Angeles. :)

Offer from Michigan today...don't think I can make the trip although I'd like to.

finally got Indiana scheduled today - for next week! was able to get a cheap flight from another interview site and everything.

and here's a big thumbs down to one rude program coordinator... i was cancelling my interview there - over a week in advance too.

AMBinNC said:
finally got Indiana scheduled today - for next week! was able to get a cheap flight from another interview site and everything.

and here's a big thumbs down to one rude program coordinator... i was cancelling my interview there - over a week in advance too.

Who was that AMB? Send me an email...

Declined Michigan and USF today. Wish I could interview everywhere, but time and money are finite commodities.

Thank you for your interest in our program! Your application to the Emergency Medicine Department Residency Training Program at Vanderbilt University Medical Center has been reviewed. Due to the high number of applicants to this program and the very competitive nature of the specialty, we are unable to extend you an interview offer.

I love the exclaimation point in the first sentence. We're really excited you applied to our program so we can reject you!

and vandy just MAILED me a nice rejection letter too on top of the NICE email.

Got the old heisman from Hennepin and Arizona, though I can't say I care too much about either program at this point...

EMApplicant- Tell me again what day you are interviewing? I am interviewing applicants in a couple of weeks.... :)

Got a Hennepin rejection yesterday as well. But as a Badger I couldn't have trained with Gophers with a good conscience anyway.