Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
waterski232002 said:
Just so you know.... I got my Wake Forest interview in my ERAS mailbox, but never got an e-mail to my regular e-mail account!!!!

I only check my ERAS mailbox about once every week so I was shocked when I saw the Wake interview in it. That was the only interview that didn't get sent to my regular e-mail address, so if you don't check ERAS regularly, I would see if there's a Wake interiew in there. Did anyone else have this problem???

Waiting in Wake Forest too, maybe I should go take a look at my ERAS mailbox!

Got the UNC rejection today too :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

UNC, Tampa, and University of Chicago today... :D

Unfortunately I can't block my Chicago's together.

New Mexico today but UNC gave me the boot. I like to think of it as them helping me narrow down my programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Henry Ford sent out invites today.

Hey, anyone else having trouble arranging their Hahnemann interview? I've sent emails (no phone# provided) the last two days with no response.

Hey there! Sign me up on the Smack Down list for UNC!...got Duke today though -- at least I'm get some of that North Carolinian Lovin'...

Got Penn and Henry Ford by email.
First beat down of the season by UNC.

Oh well 25-1, not the '72 Miami Dolphins, but playoff bound.

well I made the JV squad for stanford. Couldn't quite make the varsity team, so they signed me on as an alternate candidate. I guess if someone goes down, then I get to get in the game. happy cause it's way better than getting cut. :D

las olas said:
well I made the JV squad for stanford. Couldn't quite make the varsity team, so they signed me on as an alternate candidate. I guess if someone goes down, then I get to get in the game. happy cause it's way better than getting cut. :D

So I guess if I haven't heard from Stanford I can expect a beatdown shortly. Oh, well. Was really hoping to interview out there but this will save me some money. Turn a negative into a positive...it must be interview season.

WakeMedHeel said:
So I guess if I haven't heard from Stanford I can expect a beatdown shortly. Oh, well. Was really hoping to interview out there but this will save me some money. Turn a negative into a positive...it must be interview season.

got region in mn and also henry ford... rejected by unc... :rolleyes:

UNC and Duke today.

Offers so far:
University of Alabama in Birmingham
University of Virginia
Orlando
WashU
Medical College of Georgia
Vanderbilt
Charity, New Orleans
Mississippi
Jacksonville, FL
Wake Forest
Palmetto, SC
Emory
Duke
UNC

No word yet:
Carolinas
Tampa
George Washington

WilcoWorld said:
If any of you have heard of programs to avoid I'd sure like to hear which & why. I do understand if you're wary of posting such things publicly however.

I was wondering if that Carolinas' email stating they weren't offering interviews until just before Turkey Day was true. Upon reviewing EMapp & Nor's lists & finding Carolinas on neither I've convinced myself that this is true. :laugh:

CMC is in no hurry... things are much slower in the South! :laugh:

dlung said:
Henry Ford sent out invites today.

Hey, anyone else having trouble arranging their Hahnemann interview? I've sent emails (no phone# provided) the last two days with no response.

Hahnemann??? I guess you want to be looking for an open PGY-3 in two years?

WakeMedHeel said:

Wakemed,
I wouldn't give up yet. you have been getting pretty darn good programs, so you never know. Just cause I was placed on the JV team doesn't mean that they aren't still looking for their "A" team. I spoke with the PD yesterday and he said that they usually are able to offer interviews to the alternate candidates. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Members don't see this ad :)
papichulodoc said:
Hahnemann??? I guess you want to be looking for an open PGY-3 in two years?

I see. I'll ask about that when I get there, thanks.

Thank you for your application to our emergency medicine training program.
This is to inform you that you have not been granted an interview with the
Emergency Medicine training program at the Univ. of Louisville School of
Medicine. We wish you luck for your future pursuits in emergency medicine.

Thank you
Sue Sappenfield
Dept. of Emrgency Medicine
Univ. of Louisville School of Medicine
Louisville, KY

They can bite it. The other rejections I got were so much more polite.

At least my girlfriend still loves me.

I kinda figured UT-Houston as a back-up program. Just goes to show that you never know. :oops: At least they were nicer than the letter from Louisville above!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Applicant,

Thank you for your interest in The University of Texas at Houston Emergency
Medicine Residency Program.

The Department of Emergency Medicine's selection committee has carefully
reviewed all applications and supporting materials. The number of applicants
to our program greatly exceeds the number of available interview slots. We
regret that not everyone will be invited to visit and interview for our
program.

After careful consideration of your application, we are unable to offer you an
interview at this time.

We wish you much success in your pursuit of an emergency medicine residency and future endeavors.

Sincerely,

Eric F. Reichman, Ph.D., M.D.
Residency Program Director

EMApplicant said:
I kinda figured UT-Houston as a back-up program. Just goes to show that you never know. :oops: At least they were nicer than the letter from Louisville above!

EM, if you don't mind,...what does your interview list look like at this point?

WakeMedHeel said:
EM, if you don't mind,...what does your interview list look like at this point?

Hey WMH, sure thing. I'll probably be declining a few more interviews in the next week. However, I was really fortunate with scheduling and was able to group them pretty well by city, so I may do ~15 when all is said and done.

Interview Offers:
Cincinnati
OHSU
Univ Michigan
Wash U
Christ
UIC
Univ Chicago
UCSD
Loma Linda
Stanford
LAC-USC
UT-Southwestern
Brigham
BIDMC
Boston Medical Center
George Washington
StLukes-Roosevelt
NYU
NY Presby
Albert Einstein - Beth Israel
SUNY Downstate

Declined:
Albert Einstein - LIJ
Mount Sinai
Yale
UPenn

Rejections:
UT-Houston
Highland

Declined:
...UPenn...

If you're comfortable doing so, could you tell me why you turned down UPenn? I'm trying to decide for myself, so some input would be helpful.

WilcoWorld said:
Declined:
...UPenn...

If you're comfortable doing so, could you tell me why you turned down UPenn? I'm trying to decide for myself, so some input would be helpful.

For me it primarily came down to a question of location and not particularly wanting to spend 4 years in Philly. I'm sure it's a fine program, it just wasn't going to work for me.

I don't think I have seen this one up here yet- I got Hopkins by email yesterday.

I am still waiting on a couple more, but I am basically done. Now for scheduling...

GWU today, at last. i guess the alphabet is in my favor now?

TylerDurden said:
I don't think I have seen this one up here yet- I got Hopkins by email yesterday.

I am still waiting on a couple more, but I am basically done. Now for scheduling...

congratz on hopkins. u havn't started scheduling yet?? you better get crackin'!

Why haven't I received any interview acceptances/rejections for 2 weeks?!? Haven't got a SINGLE email since the 1st of November. So that leaves about 20 programs that i haven't heard yes or no from. Do responses come in cycles? From the postings, I was just expecting a lot of responses during the beginning of November, and as of yet have had none. I'm tired of checking my email and ERAS site!!!!!! Somebody calm me down.

MasterintuBater said:
Why haven't I received any interview acceptances/rejections for 2 weeks?!? Haven't got a SINGLE email since the 1st of November. So that leaves about 20 programs that i haven't heard yes or no from. Do responses come in cycles? From the postings, I was just expecting a lot of responses during the beginning of November, and as of yet have had none. I'm tired of checking my email and ERAS site!!!!!! Somebody calm me down.

Calm down... :eek: :laugh:

Recent invites:
Christiana
UT-Houston
Palmetto (by snail mail)

I'm so envious of y'all who've managed to schedule interviews in geographically concise patterns. I was stupid enough to not take any time off and am trying to schedule my interviews during my uptight required 4th year rotations. I seem to be bouncing all over the place like a rubber ball. Grrr. Lack of foresight sure sucks.

Take care,
Jeff

Hi,

Is anyone interviewing at Albert Einstein Beth Israel in NY who wants to change their date to Dec 21st? If so, let me know and we can do a switcheroo. I wanted to reschedule but seems like lots of their dates are already full.

Thanks! :)

Anybody else at Allegheny on Monday or UMKC on Friday? :thumbup:

I haven't heard anything in over 10 days now. I only have 4 interviews so far, and am still waiting anxiously on U. Chicago, Beth Israel NYC, UIC, and Cook Cty (and all the CA programs even though I know I have a snowballs chance in hell at them) I hope I am not screwed for all of these!

dlung said:
Are you still having problems setting things up? We recently got a new coordinator and moved our offices to Hahnemann (from MCP) which might explain things. If you haven't been able to get in touch, I'll send you our new number.

Also, for Papichulodoc and anyone else out there... we're not going anywhere! We recently opened a brand new ER at Hahnemann, and our program sees >150K pt/yr. :D We no longer work at MCP, but we have 4 other fantastic sites. We haven't lost ANY faculty members. We're still one of the top Philly programs and probably the most diverse clinically. Dave Wagner hasn't gone anywhere, nor has Jim Roberts (of Roberts and Hedges). Our fellowships (Tox/Ultrasound/Peds) are all very competetive. I know rumors fly, but next year's intern class won't have anything to worry about!

invites:
GW
Christiana
Maryland
Hopkins
Duke
Temple
Thomas Jeff
Case Western/metrohealth
Albert Einstein/Beth Israel
Mt sinai
Lincoln
SUNY Downstate
Wayne State/DRH

Will decline/on the fence:
Alleghany
UMKC
Sinai-Grace

Rejected:
Pitt (didnt want to go that armpit anyway)
UNC (light blue doesn't match my skin color)

Hopkins by phone today....I called them and they gave me a date. Must have been in the "wait and see" pile. Doesn't matter now. Somewhat level playing field. :D

UCSF-Fresno by e-mail this morning. They were offering dates in Jan and Feb. Guess I made it off the bench. :)

Interviews to date:

Jacobi
Lincoln
North Shore
LIJ
UCONN
Stony Brook
Methodist
Brown
Downstate
Beth Israel
University of Maryland
UMDNJ

rejecting - Duke, Albany, USF

refused - UNC

List so far:

Jefferson
Bellevue
North Shore
Wake Forest
Ohio State
Maryland
Hopkins
VCU
Emory
UVA
Duke
UNC
U Chicago
U Illinois Chicago
Boston Medical

Rejected from: Northwestern, BID, Pittsburgh

Turned down: LIJ, Wash U

Offer but not scheduled yet: Tampa

first official beatdown: pittsburgh - which is ok b/c the pitt is not high on my list of places to live and i needed some narrowing of my possibilities. still have to cull from 19...

juanita - carolina blue is beautiful on everyone!!! i'm an undergrad alum, so just a wee bit biased!

I just got an email from OHSU saying Im on the wait list. Anyone have anything similar? What are the odds of getting an interview there? I would love to interview there, but am not sure about the waitlist thing.

joaquin13 said:
I just got an email from OHSU saying Im on the wait list. Anyone have anything similar? What are the odds of getting an interview there? I would love to interview there, but am not sure about the waitlist thing.

Big fatty rejection from them today. At least I got a Houston invite to buffer the sadness. :(

Good luck everyone!
:luck:

Did my mass interview declines today to finalize my interview scheduling, so hopefully that will free up some spots.

Interviews:
University of Virginia
Orlando
Vanderbilt
Charity, New Orleans
Mississippi
Wake Forest
Emory
Duke
UNC

Declined:
WashU
Medical College of Georgia
Jacksonville, FL
Palmetto, SC
Tampa
George Washington

No word yet:
Carolinas

Hercules said:
Did my mass interview declines today to finalize my interview scheduling, so hopefully that will free up some spots.

Interviews:
University of Virginia
Orlando
Vanderbilt
Charity, New Orleans
Mississippi
Wake Forest
Emory
Duke
UNC

Staying in the southeast I see. :)

Declined interview with University of Illinois - Chicago today. Need to cut a few more...

Invite today from UC-Irvine. Only one interview day on offer but, hey, i'll take what I can get. :)

"Here's the order of my list that it's in"
(actually, no particular order, I just like quoting rap)

Scheduled:
MCoW
UIC
Ressurection - Chicago
Mayo
Regions - St. Paul
Wake Forest
East Carolina
Christ - Chicago
Cinci
UPenn
VCU
EVMS

Pending/wait list:
Indiana
Jefferson

Turned down:
Iowa
Yale
U of I Peoria
Boston MC

Rejected:
Maine
OHSU (damn, I wanted that one)
Northwestern
UNC
Duke

Still thinking:
UConn
Case Western

Baited breath:
Hennepin
Carolinas

Three of those rejections came since my last invite...looks like this list is close to finalization.

EMApplicant said:
Declined interview with University of Illinois - Chicago today. Need to cut a few more...

Any reason why you would cut UIC? and leave U of C?
Just wondering, I am biased being from UIC and knowing its training and reputation in the City.

I find it also interesting that NW would reject people that U of C and UIC want. It certainly is not the best in Chicago by any stretch of imagination, especially compared to UIC/U of C/Christ.
Just an observation.

UNM and Arizona this weekend.

My list (have heard from almost all programs, and am planning to cancel several):

Denver
Vanderbilt
Bellevue
Hennepin
Christiana
Michigan
Penn (may cancel)
Maine
Brigham (may cancel)
BIDMC (may cancel)
UCLA-Harbor
UC Davis
Highland
Indiana
Pittsburgh
OHSU
Cincinnati
Brown (may cancel)
UNC (may cancel)
U Chicago
Arizona
UCSD
UNM
Maryland (may cancel)

To hear from:
Maricopa
Carolinas (may cancel)

Waitlisted:
Stanford

WilcoWorld said:
"Here's the order of my list that it's in"

Still thinking:
UConn
Case Western

UConn is a great program, great training, tons of pathology, great attendings.........fun residents and good basketball. Hartford is the pits but no one lives there, they have surrounding area to roam.

Don't think, schedule.

UHSDOMBA said:
Big fatty rejection from them today. At least I got a Houston invite to buffer the sadness. :(

No Oregon love for me, either. :(

Take care,
Jeff

jashanley said:
Any reason why you would cut UIC? and leave U of C?
Just wondering, I am biased being from UIC and knowing its training and reputation in the City.

To a large degree, it basically came down to scheduling and what I could manage. I know that they are both great programs.