Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ouch!!! Looks like UCI was practing the rejections but I just got the real thing from UCSD. I have gotten some pretty good programs, but my number one is out. Is begging allowed?

Members don't see this ad.

If they don't want you, you don't want them. At least that's what I tell myself everynight before bed.

Got Cincinnati today, still waiting on my other top programs (OHSU & Hennepin).

I also got a pre-emptive "we're still reviewing, so stop calling us guys" from Carolinas.

got interviews from UC Irvine and Medical College of Georgia today.

Members don't see this ad :)
emory today

that email from CMC is strange - not sending out invites til week before thanksgiving?

Congrats EMapp!!! At least we aren't all getting punk'd by ucsd

las olas said:
Congrats EMapp!!! At least we aren't all getting punk'd by ucsd

Thanks Las Olas, I was pretty surprised - honestly, I figured it was a long shot. These things are so unpredictable.

Hey all,

Davis and Irvine today via email...still no word from UCSD, Stanford or OHSU...or what am I saying... many other programs for that matter.....ARRRRGGGHHHHH

patience young grasshopper...I have got to stop checking my email, numbness, tingling in my pinky and ring finger...that's strange. Maybe I'll wait 3-4 months and then go to the ED at 3AM.

First rejections :mad:

Vandy
BIDMC
UCSD

Oh well! Can't win 'em all...unless you're EMapplicant or Noreinger, that is congrats guys-seriously, it must be tough picking through the pile of great programs.

Just curious--does anyone know a site where we can check how many applications each program normally receives and how many people they usually invite to interview?

Thanks!

Cric4U said:
Hey all,

Davis and Irvine today via email...still no word from UCSD, Stanford or OHSU...or what am I saying... many other programs for that matter.....ARRRRGGGHHHHH

patience young grasshopper...I have got to stop checking my email, numbness, tingling in my pinky and ring finger...that's strange. Maybe I'll wait 3-4 months and then go to the ED at 3AM.

For all those waiting on UCSD, this might be of interest. When they send the invite, they also ask you to call and schedule the same day for the transitional year interview at Scripps. When I called Scripps, they said that they had just started scheduling people from the UCSD EM program today. So, it sounds like UCSD is just starting the invitation process. Hope that helps - good luck all! :luck:

docflanny said:

Vandy
BIDMC
UCSD

Oh well! Can't win 'em all...unless you're EMapplicant or Noreinger, that is congrats guys-seriously, it must be tough picking through the pile of great programs.

Thanks, I think i've been pretty lucky so far. Good luck. :thumbup:

joaquin13 said:
Just curious--does anyone know a site where we can check how many applications each program normally receives and how many people they usually invite to interview?

Thanks!
FREIDA will tell you how many students they normally interview, but only if the program has filled out the survey you can find it at:

FREIDA

Members don't see this ad :)
docflanny said:

Got my first rejection today also... BIDMC... That was in my top 5 too! Only one's left to hear from are the chicago programs and gettin' a little anxious since I see that others have heard. Boston and Chicago are my tops. I guess I get no love. Any suggestions?

Scheduled Interviews:
NYHQ-Cornell
North Shore
Yale
Hopkins
Detroit Receiving
UMich
Wake Forest
Cinci
Mass Gen/BWH
Boston Med
Beaumont
UMD
UPenn
UPitt
WashU

Cancelled on Mayo, GW, Sinai-Grace, UFL Jacksonville, Orlando, and Mt. Sinai

waterski232002 said:
docflanny said:

Got my first rejection today also... BIDMC... That was in my top 5 too! Only one's left to hear from are the chicago programs and gettin' a little anxious since I see that others have heard. Boston and Chicago are my tops. I guess I get no love. Any suggestions?

Scheduled Interviews:
NYHQ-Cornell
North Shore
Yale
Hopkins
Detroit Receiving
UMich
Wake Forest
Cinci
Mass Gen/BWH
Boston Med
Beaumont
UMD
UPenn
UPitt
WashU

Cancelled on Mayo, GW, Sinai-Grace, UFL Jacksonville, Orlando, and Mt. Sinai

Northwestern just made me eat my words.... Just got an interview at 10:23 at night???? I'll take it any way I can!

waterski232002 said:
Northwestern just made me eat my words.... Just got an interview at 10:23 at night???? I'll take it any way I can!

I'll take your GW interview...thanks.

Denials so far:

Northwestern
BIDMC
UC Irvine...so far my favorite denial...ever.

Today
Emory
UFl Jacksonville
Cinci
SUNY Downstate
Northwestern

Time to start to do some cancellin'...tougher than I thought though..
Still waiting for some of that U of Chicago love, not to mention some North Carolina love wouldn't hurt either :D ...

Congrats to everyone getting West Coast action!!

I don't think the actual application numbers are posted, but the number of interviews given is available on FRIEDA. I have heard from members of certain circles that programs typically interview 20-30% of their total applications, and accept around 10% of their interview pool. In this case, a program with 600 applicants will give around 120 interviews and fill 12 spots...

no "denials" yet but would still like to hear from:
gwu
uic and/or cook co (hopefully coordinated w/ u of chicago)
bellevue

AMBinNC said:
no "denials" yet but would still like to hear from:
gwu
uic and/or cook co (hopefully coordinated w/ u of chicago)
bellevue

Just got Bellevue. :D I already booked my flights to NY though. This is going to be tough.

WakeMedHeel said:
Just got Bellevue. :D I already booked my flights to NY though. This is going to be tough.

Congratz, man! :thumbup:

The Dude1 said:
Today
Emory
UFl Jacksonville
Cinci
SUNY Downstate
Northwestern

Time to start to do some cancellin'...tougher than I thought though..
Still waiting for some of that U of Chicago love, not to mention some North Carolina love wouldn't hurt either :D ...

Congrats to everyone getting West Coast action!!

THAT is a good day!

Hi all, Harbor today by email. Also, forgot to include Maine...

Cuts are pending (but who?). I want to finalize things by the end of this week (and then win the lottery so I can afford the airline tickets!).

So far:
BIDMC
BW/MGH
UMD
UVA
UCI
Christiana Care
Pitt
Indiana (Peds/EM)
UC-D
OHSU
Stanford
Maine
Harbor

jonahhelix said:

Cuts are pending (but who?). I want to finalize things by the end of this week (and then win the lottery so I can afford the airline tickets!).

So far:
BIDMC
BW/MGH
UMD
UVA
UCI
Christiana Care
Pitt
Indiana (Peds/EM)
UC-D
OHSU
Stanford
Maine
Harbor

That is tough to eliminate these programs. If you need to cut some out, I could help by taking over your OHSU and Harbor slots? I am sure that the PDs wouldn't mind a swap. :laugh:

Albert Einstein - Beth Israel Medical Center in New York City.

&

Stanford :)

I've received interviews at a lot of great Northeast programs thus far. Any suggestions on which ones I should dump? (So other people can get the opportunity to interview?)

NYHQ-Cornell
SUNY-Downstate
LIJ
Jacobi
Stony Brook
Lincoln
NYU
St. Luke's
Morristown
Cooper (Camden)
Jefferson (Philly)
Temple (Philly)
UPenn
Boston Medical Center
Brigham Young
Mt. Sinai

jonahhelix said:

So far:
BIDMC
BW/MGH
UMD
UVA
UCI
Christiana Care
Pitt
Indiana (Peds/EM)
UC-D
OHSU
Stanford
Maine
Harbor

How about u cut BIDMC and give my name to the PD!!!
WakeMedHeel... I'll swap GW for Bellevue. Too bad there's no fantasy Match!

waterski232002 said:
How about u cut BIDMC and give my name to the PD!!!
WakeMedHeel... I'll swap GW for Bellevue. Too bad there's no fantasy Match!

I don't know if I'd trade Bellevue for GW but I really want a GW spot!!!

Think I'm dropping Long Island Jewish and VCU. Don't know for sure yet.

WakeMedHeel said:
I don't know if I'd trade Bellevue for GW but I really want a GW spot!!!

Think I'm dropping Long Island Jewish and VCU. Don't know for sure yet.

This is great... me, you and AMBinNC have nothing better to do besides post on student doctor network... This is why I love EM!

waterski232002 said:
This is great... me, you and AMBinNC have nothing better to do besides post on student doctor network... This is why I love EM!

Path month.

anesthesia here... "you can take off if you want to" --> gone!

gwu is reviewing alphabetically and the person w/ my part of the alphabet is out of town - no offers from hers yet.

i'm about to have to do some cancellations myself... dang it's tough to do this sight unseen.

AMBinNC said:
anesthesia here... "you can take off if you want to" --> gone!

gwu is reviewing alphabetically and the person w/ my part of the alphabet is out of town - no offers from hers yet.

i'm about to have to do some cancellations myself... dang it's tough to do this sight unseen.

What part of tha alphabet is that? Hopefully B-H... :)

WakeMedHeel said:
What part of tha alphabet is that? Hopefully B-H... :)

Whoever is sorting through the "V"s is on top of their game! For once it's actually good to be at the end of the alphabet.

Just declined a bunch of interviews. Man, that's tough! Hope I did the right thing. :scared:

she didn't say exactly what the breakdown was... just made me hopeful to hear from them!

add UIC to the list... going to the windy city for 2 days in a row now.

my updated list

EM
Brooklyn Hospital
Lincoln
Mount Sinai
New York Hospital Medical Center of Queens/Cornell University
New York University Medical Center Program
Newark Beth Israel Medical Center Program
North Shore
St Luke's-Roosevelt
SUNY Upstate

EM/IM
Brody at East Carolina
Louisiana State University
Maryland
LIJ
Allegheny
UIC
SUNY downstate

Today:
Stanford! :thumbup:

so far:
SUNY Stony Brook
North Shore
OHSU
Bellevue
Case Western/Metrohealth
Northwestern
SUNY Downstate
UPenn
UPitt
Emory
Cincinnati
UFl Jacksonville
Brown
Yale
U of Maryland
MGH/BWH
BIDMC
Rochester

To how many do you think I should cut back -- and which (still waiting on NC programs, SLR, UMass and a few others...)? Suggestions? Gotta start doing this tommorow... off to spend money on my flight to Oregon... (time for an emergency loan..)..

To how many do you think I should cut back -- and which (still waiting on NC programs, SLR, UMass and a few others...)? Suggestions? Gotta start doing this tommorow... off to spend money on my flight to Oregon... (time for an emergency loan..)..[/QUOTE]

Very nice list. I'm going to max my interviews at 12...I think that's a reasonable number unless one or two more come along that I can't pass up. Right now, I'm at 13 with one dropped.

Scheduled:
Jefferson
Bellevue
North Shore
Wash U
Ohio State
Maryland
Wake Forest
Emory
VCU
UVA
University Illinois Chicago
Duke
Boston Medical Center

Dropped:
Long Island Jewish

Shaq'd:
Northwestern
BIDMC
U Cal Irvine (I presume)

The Dude1 said:
Today:
Stanford! :thumbup:

so far:
SUNY Stony Brook
North Shore
OHSU
Bellevue
Case Western/Metrohealth
Northwestern
SUNY Downstate
UPenn
UPitt
Emory
Cincinnati
UFl Jacksonville
Brown
Yale
U of Maryland
MGH/BWH
BIDMC
Rochester

To how many do you think I should cut back -- and which (still waiting on NC programs, SLR, UMass and a few others...)? Suggestions? Gotta start doing this tommorow... off to spend money on my flight to Oregon... (time for an emergency loan..)..

Just so you know.... I got my Wake Forest interview in my ERAS mailbox, but never got an e-mail to my regular e-mail account!!!!

I only check my ERAS mailbox about once every week so I was shocked when I saw the Wake interview in it. That was the only interview that didn't get sent to my regular e-mail address, so if you don't check ERAS regularly, I would see if there's a Wake interiew in there. Did anyone else have this problem???

waterski -
i applied to wake only for prelim medicine -- same thing w/ my interview invite. also happened to others in our class apparently.

wakemed -
have you re-met w/ the chairman of our dept? there are 1 or 2 in there i bet he'd discourage unless you have a compelling reason to go there.

Louisville and Jacksonville yesterday...

And I actually did my first interview yesterday (Orlando) - so do we start a new thread for that? Went pretty well, I think. It's hard to compare programs when you've only done one.

Danielle

wakemed -
have you re-met w/ the chairman of our dept? there are 1 or 2 in there i bet he'd discourage unless you have a compelling reason to go there.

He was very clear on the programs that he wasn't as fond of. I have some location requirements and those programs fit the bill.

If any of you have heard of programs to avoid I'd sure like to hear which & why. I do understand if you're wary of posting such things publicly however.

I was wondering if that Carolinas' email stating they weren't offering interviews until just before Turkey Day was true. Upon reviewing EMapp & Nor's lists & finding Carolinas on neither I've convinced myself that this is true. :laugh:

Just got a few more interviews:

MIT
UC Santa Barbara
Princeton
Estee Lauder Institute (EM/IM)

KevinEm said:
Just got a few more interviews:

MIT
UC Santa Barbara
Princeton
Estee Lauder Institute (EM/IM)

hey ill be at MIT on Dec 2! ill see you there. i'm doing the combined physics/EM program with a master of history. :smuggrin:

dchristismi said:
Louisville and Jacksonville yesterday...

And I actually did my first interview yesterday (Orlando) - so do we start a new thread for that? Went pretty well, I think. It's hard to compare programs when you've only done one.

Danielle

I think this warrants a new thread....

(las olas, i appreciate your offer to take my Harbor and OHSU interviews. you are too kind! ;) As for waterski, i already visited BIDMC, otherwise i'd be sure to put in a good word for you!)

So, UNC finally sent out UNC student and visiting rotators invites yesterday. The email also included their regular interview dates. If anyone is looking for that sort of info, let me know.

So far (with my 'plan to decline' progs noted to see how it feels :scared: ):
BIDMC
BW/MGH (d)
UMD
UVA
UCI
Christiana Care
Pitt
Indiana (Peds/EM) (d)
UC-D (d)
OHSU
Stanford
Maine
Harbor
UNC

(Only prog left is Carolinas...)

Just got UNC, and I neither rotated there nor am a Tarheel. I guess they sent out more invites today.

Thank you for your interest in our Emergency Medicine Residency Program. Our
interview team has reviewed your application and we regret to inform you that
we will not be able to offer you an interview.

We have received over 750 applications for our eight intern positions in
Emergency Medicine. Because of this overwhelming number of applications, we
have been forced to turn down many worthy applicants, such as yourself.

We do not feel that our inability to extend to you an interview reflects
poorly on your potential as an emergency medicine residency candidate.

We wish you the best of luck in your career in emergency medicine.

Sincerely,

Douglas R. Trocinski, MD
Residency Director
Assistant Professor

James L. Larson, MD
Assistant Residency Director
Assistant Professor
University of North Carolina

Josh Broder, MD
Assistant Residency Director
Assistant Professor
University of North Carolina