-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Interviews
Started by icebrat001
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
No, that's a valid question! Welcome to the boards, icebrat! Sad to say, we cough it up for interviews, and if you search some more there are lots of threads on how to find cheap flights. However, some schools do pay for transportation costs to "Second Look" weekends in late spring for accepted students.
Yes, the above poster has got it right on. I'm still repaying debt from earlier on in the year from traveling expenses. I accumulated over 3000 in debt, but spent like 6000 on the application process. It woulda been cheaper to apply for PR in some random country!! Then I could live on the beach and sell coconuts and rum.... and find myself a cabana boy
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If on your AMCAS application you indicate you are a disadvantaged student (not URM), not only is the application fee waived, but some schools (if not all) will pay for transportation and lodging...
I only wish I knew that loop hole 6 months ago. I'm also pushing myself further into debt............
I only wish I knew that loop hole 6 months ago. I'm also pushing myself further into debt............
IT's a great idea, however very few are accepted into this "fee waiver" deal. It's kind of hard to prove that you're disadvantaged, even if you only make 30K a yearTexasSnow said:If on your AMCAS application you indicate you are a disadvantaged student (not URM), not only is the application fee waived, but some schools (if not all) will pay for transportation and lodging...
I only wish I knew that loop hole 6 months ago. I'm also pushing myself further into debt............
TexasSnow said:If on your AMCAS application you indicate you are a disadvantaged student (not URM), not only is the application fee waived, but some schools (if not all) will pay for transportation and lodging...
I only wish I knew that loop hole 6 months ago. I'm also pushing myself further into debt............
Don't you actually have to meet some criteria for being considered disadvantaged?
PreMedAdAG said:IT's a great idea, however very few are accepted into this "fee waiver" deal. It's kind of hard to prove that you're disadvantaged, even if you only make 30K a year
$30K a year? are you married and living on your own? I make nothing a year but i have my parents...so i guess they consider your' parents' wealth???
Psycho Doctor said:$30K a year? are you married and living on your own? I make nothing a year but i have my parents...so i guess they consider your' parents' wealth???
Yep, it's the parents. I don't make anything, either. My parents have been paying for my interview transportation/application fees. After the application process, I'm on my own.

DianaLynne said:Don't you actually have to meet some criteria for being considered disadvantaged?
Well, lets see, I am disadvantaged, but I would be afraid to let the AMCAS know because I would be fearful of not gaining acceptance into the school for being so poor.
I make less than 30K a year, lots less, and my parents, well they are wanted by the FBI, I am so not kidding and i'm not going to go into why. However, that being said, I have not been able to get financial aid as an undergrad due to my parents, complications.
Anyway I can prove to the AMCAS that I am disadvantaged without getting my folks into the whole loop hole?
PreMedAdAG said:Yes, the above poster has got it right on. I'm still repaying debt from earlier on in the year from traveling expenses. I accumulated over 3000 in debt, but spent like 6000 on the application process. It woulda been cheaper to apply for PR in some random country!! Then I could live on the beach and sell coconuts and rum.... and find myself a cabana boy
$6000 on applications and $3000 on travel expenses. Guess I better start thinking of an alternative career. 🙁
bump
icebrat001 said:Anyway I can prove to the AMCAS that I am disadvantaged without getting my folks into the whole loop hole?
On your AMCAS app, you just need to answer a couple of questions and write a short paragraph about why you should be considered disadvantaged. They don't ask questions beyond this. PM me if you have more questions....
MadameLULU said:On your AMCAS app, you just need to answer a couple of questions and write a short paragraph about why you should be considered disadvantaged. They don't ask questions beyond this. PM me if you have more questions....
Thanks
I think if you want a fee waiver, they want your parental information.
Pinkertinkle said:I think if you want a fee waiver, they want your parental information.
Really? Even if you are over 21? If my parents information gets requested there is nothing that I can provide.
Thanks for the tip.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad