Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ObGyn <3 said:
Iinvites from:

Is anyone interviewing at BIDMC on the 16th?

Good luck guys:)

I'll be at BIDMC on the 16th.

Members don't see this ad.

Updated List:
Kaiser Oakland
Santa Clara Medical Valley
UC Davis
Emory
Lutheran General
IUPUI
BIDMC
UMN
UNM
Ohio State
UCincinnati
OHSU
MCW
UWMadison
UColorado today :)

got my first rejections today:
UWashington
BWH

It seems like most of us applied to more than enough schools. Although the rejections sting, they certainly help me narrow down my interview list.

Updated List:

Univ of Colorado
Johns Hopkins
BIDMC
UW-Madison
Med Coll of Wisconsin
Emory
Mayo
Iowa
Univ of Minnesota
Washington Univ
St Louis University
Univ of Chicago
William Beaumont
Ohio State
Cleveland Metro Health
Loyola
Indiana Univ

Still waiting:
Yale, Northwestern, Univ of Michigan

Members don't see this ad :)
daisyduke said:
Has U Michigan started sending out invites yet?
:confused: :confused: :confused:

Got an invite from Michigan today (not my home school and did not do an away there) via email for Dec7th or Dec 12th....just wanted to keep you posted. maybe they were waiting on dean's letters.
bs

Does anyone have an interview in Rochester University program?
If you do and your interview date is not Dec 16th, please switch with me :) please.....

Also do you guys know anything about the program?
thanks a million

Today was definitely rejection day!

Here are my interviews:
UC Irvine
UC Davis
LAC + USC
Univ. Arizona
Univ. Colorado
Univ. Chicago
Cornell
UCLA

And my rejects (both today):
Brigham
OHSU

Still waiting on:
Univ. of Washington
Northwestern
UCSF
UCSD
Stanford

Waitlisted at NYU

daisyduke said:
Apparently today was rejection day!!! :eek:

Rejected from:
Sinai in Chicago (what's so great about this place anyway? :confused: )
U Washington (didn't want to live in the rain anyway)

Still waiting on UCSF, U Michigan, and Columbia... then I think the waiting game is all over!!! :)

seriously. what do you have to do to get an interview at the brigham. i think you need a md/phd to go there. it seems ridiculous. i was hurt too but looking at my list i have some great interviews. and i am still so happy to be switching into ob from IM.

ACSlater said:
seriously. what do you have to do to get an interview at the brigham. i think you need a md/phd to go there. it seems ridiculous. i was hurt too but looking at my list i have some great interviews. and i am still so happy to be switching into ob from IM.

Don't know what's the magic formula, but I'm not an MD/PhD and I got an interview there.

Woohoo! Offer from Pittsburgh today! I'm sooooo happy. :)

finally not another rejection...offer from penn today :)

obgyn06 said:
finally not another rejection...offer from penn today :)

congrats! just curious...what are their interview dates?? thanks!

So i'm finally joining in the school listing:

interviews scheduled:

Iowa
hopkins
yale
duke
mayo
wash u
GW
univ of Maryland
baltimore at Sinai
Temple
Chicago at Sinai
MUSC
UV-charlottesville
Indiana

wait listed at: (got this today -- kind of strange to be wait listed)
Univ of Washington - -Seattle

rejections:
BWH-MGH !!!
OHSU
univ of Missouri at Columbia

waiting to hear from:
columbia, brown, stanford

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you give your info? you know, step scores, etc?

lmh14 said:
congrats! just curious...what are their interview dates?? thanks!

They are ONLY Jan 6 and Jan 7 (!!!!!) Tough as far as scheduling. Especially since one of my potential faves is scheduled for Jan 6. This is all so tough.

ACSlater said:
Can you give your info? you know, step scores, etc?

not sure to whom you are referring...

I was waitlisted at Univ. of Washington, which is odd because I was rejected from OHSU and haven't heard from Stanford, UCSD, or Northwestern. I've seen a couple of you who were rejected from UW but have interviews at all those places! This whole process seems so random. I have high board scores and grades but am from a middle tier school.

Here's how it's rouding out so far...it will be interesting to see how I get from Iowa City on January 6th to Pittsburgh on January 7th with my two year old boys in tow. I'm not so sure that turning the interview trail into a family vacation is the smartest idea I have ever come up with....but it will be exciting no doubt.

Vermont
BIDMC
Dartmouth
UConn
Virginia
WashU
Louisville
Pitt
Iowa
Utah
OHSU
Arizona
New Mexico
UC Davis

Still waiting on a few, but not too hung up on it. I'm pretty satisfied with the list as is.
Good luck everyone!

G2P0112 said:
Here's how it's rouding out so far...it will be interesting to see how I get from Iowa City on January 6th to Pittsburgh on January 7th with my two year old boys in tow. I'm not so sure that turning the interview trail into a family vacation is the smartest idea I have ever come up with....but it will be exciting no doubt.

Vermont
BIDMC
Dartmouth
UConn
Virginia
WashU
Louisville
Pitt
Iowa
Utah
OHSU
Arizona
New Mexico
UC Davis

Still waiting on a few, but not too hung up on it. I'm pretty satisfied with the list as is.
Good luck everyone!

so, are these twin boys? based on your G2P0112 name?
wow what a handful! good luck on the interview trail!
snow

Carbo/Taxol said:
Me neither...my first rejection letter... Like you said their loss...I didn't like their sissy blue colors anyway :)

So what's up with UNC?
I got a "thin" email from them just as I was going out to dinner last Friday(thanks UNC) with the bad news. This surprised me, because Hey, who could reject ME!!! But seriously, they are certainly not the highest quality program on my list. Good, yes, but definitely below some of the other places that were kind enough to invite me. It seems that some posters to this list with other good matches also got negged.

Then, yesterday, I was at an interview at a good program where I found that a whole row of interviewees also got the speed-ding from UNC.

So who are they looking for ? Or what did we all have that was so rejectable ? :confused:

gyngirl06 said:
I was waitlisted at Univ. of Washington, which is odd because I was rejected from OHSU and haven't heard from Stanford, UCSD, or Northwestern. I've seen a couple of you who were rejected from UW but have interviews at all those places! This whole process seems so random. I have high board scores and grades but am from a middle tier school.

I agree that the trends in which programs invite which candidate is starting to feel kind of random. I have a few interviews I didn't expect to get and got rejections or no-shows from a few that I was sure I would get. And there is a mix of who gets which invite even on this thread. It must boil down to who likes your personal statement or something...I think we are all doing pretty well though :)
No recent updates...still waiting on UCSF, UCSD, and Duke (impatiently, may I add)

My list:

UCLA
UCI
Stanford
Arizona
UT/Southwestern
UAB
Mayo
Northwestern
Yale
BIDMC
Brigham
Columbia
Cornell
Hopkins
UVA
UNC
Duke

Congrats and good luck to all on the interview trail!

By the way... Anyone willing to split the cost of a hotel room for Northwestern on Dec 3?

:rolleyes: Plan to interview at (still way too many):
UT Memphis (home school)
UCLA
UC Irvine
UCSD
UC Davis
Kaiser LA
Stanford
OHSU
Kaiser SF
Cornell
Columbia
George Washington
Washington Hospital Center
Northwestern
U Chicago
UIC
Rush
U Maryland
Johns Hopkins
Minnesota
Emory

:oops: Probably Cancelling:
Harbor
Cedars-Sinai
Kaiser Oakland and Santa Clara
Loyola
Cook County
UNC

:( Cancelled:
Vandy
North Shore (LIJ)
NY Downtown
Sinai Baltimore

:mad: REJECTED!!!
U Washington
Mt Sinai Chicago

:sleep: Ignoring me: UCSF, Michigan, Georgetown

Sorry my q was for Canes2006. What are your stats? step 1? 2? just curious

daisyduke said:
:rolleyes: Plan to interview at (still way too many):
UT Memphis (home school)
UCLA
UC Irvine
UCSD
UC Davis
Kaiser LA
Stanford
OHSU
Kaiser SF
Cornell
Columbia
George Washington
Northwestern
U Chicago
UIC
Rush
U Maryland
Johns Hopkins
Minnesota
Emory

:oops: Probably Cancelling:
Harbor
Cedars-Sinai
Kaiser Oakland and Santa Clara
Loyola
Cook County
UNC

:( Cancelled:
Vandy
North Shore (LIJ)
NY Downtown
Sinai Baltimore

:mad: REJECTED!!!
U Washington
Mt Sinai Chicago

:sleep: Ignoring me: UCSF, Michigan, Georgetown

Holy pooper that's a lot of programs ;) Congrats! And good luck!

Daisy Duke,

you have done so well! Just wanted to say congratulations!! If you feel like it i am sure some people, myself included, would love to know how you accomplished this... test scores, any secrets?

Congrats again!

I don't know... I wasn't expecting so many interviews. I'm couples matching with a future general surgeon so we applied to a freakin' TON of programs not expecting to get so many. Also, I'm from a public school in the south and didn't think I'd get noticed out west. But just goes to show, you definitely won't get an interview if you don't apply!

I worked hard to make good grades in med school, did pretty well on step 1 (but not amazing), made sure I asked attendings that I knew would write something nice about me to do my letters, and obsessed over my PS (had several people read it and give suggestions).

But, maybe I've just had good luck. :luck:

Can i ask those of you who have gone on interviews what kinds of questions you were asked? I interviewed last year for IM so I know what that is like, but am kind of scared of what questions to expect for Ob.

U of Washington
Wash U
Baylor Houston
Emory
University of Cininnati
U Pitt
Vanderbilt
UC Irvine
UVA
Ohio state
BIDMC
UCLA
USC
Wake
NYU
Northwestern
Mayo Rochester
BU
George Washington
CCF/Case
MUSC

And now:
Brigham
UPENN
Univ of Colorado

No rejections, still waiting on 2 more that I care about. I have a question: this waitlisting thing some of you mention: is it that they offered you an interview and you only had a date open that they were full on so you are waiting for that slot to open or is it that they will tell you at a later date if you are invited? Just curious.

Questons asked on interviews: honestly, not that many. Not in the med school way, anyway. Mostly, "tell me about this thing on your cv" or " what brings you all the way out to ________ ?" and the one I hate :"what can i tell you about our program?". It's been very chill, acutally. Good luck everyone.

Can anyone tell me about Beth Israel in NYC?
I really applied bc it's in NY, just got interview, but dont really know anything about it
thanks a lot

I haven't posted a list for awhile...

Definites...
Univ of Chicago
Medical College of Virginia
Jefferson
Johns Hopkins
GW
Univ of Colorado
Univ of Maryland
Univ of Virginia
Case/Univ Hospitals of Cleveland
Vanderbilt
Ohio State

Will probably cancel, but not sure....
Rush
Christiana
Carolinas

Rejects...
UNC
UPMC

Waiting on...
UPenn
Duke
Brown
Northwestern

Good luck folks - hope to see some of you along the way :)

So I know I am intruding on your forum and I apologize. I just saw a few of you were waiting to hear from Michigan. I thought you would think it was interesting to know they only offer 36 spots for their interviews! Isn't that crazy!

Waitlisting (at least for me)- I am waitlisted at Hopkins. Basically got an email saying "you are invited to interview but all our slots are taken at this time because you didn't apply early enough and we offer spots on a rolling basis. So you can tell us which of these dates you would like to be on the list for and we will notify you if a spot becomes open". My app went in around Oct 1, so apparently that hurt me with all these type A's that got it in Sep 1. Hope that helps.

Frankthetank said:
U of Washington
Wash U
Baylor Houston
Emory
University of Cininnati
U Pitt
Vanderbilt
UC Irvine
UVA
Ohio state
BIDMC
UCLA
USC
Wake
NYU
Northwestern
Mayo Rochester
BU
George Washington
CCF/Case
MUSC

And now:
Brigham
UPENN
Univ of Colorado

No rejections, still waiting on 2 more that I care about. I have a question: this waitlisting thing some of you mention: is it that they offered you an interview and you only had a date open that they were full on so you are waiting for that slot to open or is it that they will tell you at a later date if you are invited? Just curious.

Questons asked on interviews: honestly, not that many. Not in the med school way, anyway. Mostly, "tell me about this thing on your cv" or " what brings you all the way out to ________ ?" and the one I hate :"what can i tell you about our program?". It's been very chill, acutally. Good luck everyone.

hey guys!

did anyone get pimped on thier BIDMC interview?

some of the questions i have gotten asked so far in interviews were...

"if not medicine, what would you do in life?"
"name your weakest personality trait"

good luck guys:)

columbia today. that is 16/16 invites. i declined the offer...dont have the financial means to go on more than 12.

Anyone heard from Albert Einstein in the Bronx or Georgetown yet?

Does anyone else think it's incredibly rude that we put all this time and money into applying for these programs and many of them decide that we are not even worth sending a form email saying, "thanks but no thanks". I would much rather a rejection letter than just incessant waiting. I know it's over at this point, but it would have been nice to know it was over weeks ago. Thanks for letting me vent. I know a lot of you don't have the problem, as many people seem to have gotten everything they wanted. :rolleyes:

i have heard from most....in fact, got an invite today, after i thought all was said and done. i think that if you haven't heard anything yet, they may be keeping you on the back burner in case people pull no shows.

cali_girl said:
Does anyone else think it's incredibly rude that we put all this time and money into applying for these programs and many of them decide that we are not even worth sending a form email saying, "thanks but no thanks". I would much rather a rejection letter than just incessant waiting. I know it's over at this point, but it would have been nice to know it was over weeks ago. Thanks for letting me vent. I know a lot of you don't have the problem, as many people seem to have gotten everything they wanted. :rolleyes:

Hey there, it may still not be over, although it is looking more grim. A friend of mine who interviewed 2 years ago said he heard from places into December as obnoxious as that seems. But I agree with not liking the wait thing :mad:

minigyn said:
Hey there, it may still not be over, although it is looking more grim. A friend of mine who interviewed 2 years ago said he heard from places into December as obnoxious as that seems. But I agree with not liking the wait thing :mad:
i say be patient, i just heard from UCSD today. but consider this, what does it say about a program if they don't have their act together enough to send out interview invites within 1-2 weeks of the dean's letters going out?

I have accepted interviews at 15 programs and have been rejected from 2. I am still waiting to hear from some programs but see no news as good news (or at least I would like to believe that). I recently learned I passed Step 2 last week and re-transmitted those scores. Hopefully the fact that some of the programs I am waiting to hear from have to download something will mean that they need to at least look at my application this week. I guess we'll all see how the week unfolds :cool:

community :)

ObGyn <3 said:
hey guys!

did anyone get pimped on thier BIDMC interview?

some of the questions i have gotten asked so far in interviews were...

"if not medicine, what would you do in life?"
"name your weakest personality trait"

good luck guys:)

What type of pimping? Ob/Gyn related pimping?

community said:
Anyone heard from Albert Einstein in the Bronx or Georgetown yet?

Heard from Georgetown yesterday. Their interview dates are December 3rd and January 7th.

I heard that Georgetown is in big trouble. A chairman who I consider pretty well informed said that he gives the program only a few more years before they are dissolved and the residents are absorbed into the MedStar Corporation. Incidentally, Washington Hospital Center is run by MedStar. I don't know how much of this is true....anybody know anything else??

G2P0112 said:
What type of pimping? Ob/Gyn related pimping?

Yeah...was kind of nervous to get asked medicine questions on my interviews...

Fortunately, I didn't get pimped on my BIDMC interview, in fact everyone was SUPER nice! They just wanted to get to know us as people:)

Good luck:)

Add UCSD to the list...
Has anyone heard from UCSF?

Please, I need info about Univ of Ill program,, Im a prelim PGY-1 and looking for a 2nd year spot.....and they might have one....IM currently in LIJ MC ,NY....

Sceduled o far:

New York Downtown Hospital
Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
North Shore University Hospital/NYU School of Medicine Program
Boston University
Long Island Jewish Medical Center
SUNY Stony Brook
SUNY Downstate
New York Methodist Hospital
University of Maryland
St. Luke's - Roosevelt Hospital Center
Lenox Hill Hospital
George Washington University
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
Beth Israel Medical Center Program - NYC
Tufts University
Georgetown University
St Vincent's Hospital and Medical Center of New York Program

Rejections:
Brigham
Hopkins
NYU

Still waiting, but not holding breath:
Cornell
Columbia
Einstein
Brown

So far I've interviewed at NYU Downtown and Beth Israel Deaconess...

NYU Downtown is a small, community hospital with fantastic location (foot of the Brooklyn Bridge, sandwiched between Chinatown and Wall St area) and tons of perks (Cheap housing in nice building, well-above average pay for NYC residents, disounted monthly parking (which is like GOLD in lower manhattan), and good coverage for academic expenses and conference trips). Good for general Ob/Gyn training, with a small, laid-back group of residents.

BIDMC was pretty much the opposite...good-sized academic program with Harvard affiliation, but very little of the Harvard attitude. Beautiful facilities, friendly residents, great location, and PLENTY of opportunities for teaching and fellowship-seeking.

Hey guys, I was on another interview and heard some really strange rumors about the group-style interviewing at GWU...has anyone been out there yet?
Also, if anyone has input on the new program director at PIROG that would be great...also heard unconfirmed rumors about 'ickiness' out there.
thanks! ;)

ps. anyone heard from UCSD yet? They are my only holdout at this point!

Hello everyone,

has anyone interviewed at long island college hospital,
Danburry CT.
Medical university of OHIO
Riverside REgional Virginia
Brooklyn Hospital Center
Drexel PA
UCLA drew
Queens hospital Center Mount sinai
any info about these are appriciated.
gooooddd luCCCCCCCCCCkkkkkk tooooooooo alllllllllll :love: