Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
DrBuzzLightYear said:
this thread would be infinitely more useful if people would sack-up and post their vitals (boards, grades, class rankings, etc).

Why would this information make the thread more useful?

Seems to me that most people here are getting more than enough interviews at top notch places which means that the above-mentioned stats must be at least half decent....

Sounds like someone is trying to size up the competition without "sacking-up" and posting their own stats... :barf:

Members don't see this ad.

Flea girl said:
Hi Newdoc2005,

It is my first interview invite and interview. I am going there this Sunday :scared: . I am a bit nervous, but will let you know how it goes. Sent 2 thanks but no thanks emails today. Definately felt odd doing it. Keep wondering if it is going to bite me in the behind :laugh: . :laugh:
hi,
good luck to u flea girl!!
hope u do well..let me know how it feels..bye

Well friends, I'll join in the fray:
XY with appropriate morphogenetic and social adaptation.
step I: >240, PhD
M3/M4 (so far) grades: 4 H, 2 HP
class rank: We have no such thing.
Applied last week to 12 programs

Invites:
House of God (BIDMC)
Emory

Best of luck to everyone,
Aleks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an invite from Duke today....

Univ of Chicago and George Washington - soooo excited about both :)

I was just wondering for the people who got interviews at Cornell, Brown, and Beth Israel Deaconness (Boston) if and when their applications were complete. I still don't have my dean's letter in, and my school sent my transcript yesterday.

I have to say, I am getting a little nervous.

little mermaid said:
I was just wondering for the people who got interviews at Cornell, Brown, and Beth Israel Deaconness (Boston) if and when their applications were complete. I still don't have my dean's letter in, and my school sent my transcript yesterday.

I have to say, I am getting a little nervous.

Don't worry! I know that a lot of programs like for their applicants' applications to be totally complete before offering an interview, also some programs will wait til
Nov :)

You'll be fine :thumbup:

abmd2006 said:
I think as long as you only send it to the one or two at the top of your list, it's fine.
I sent one like that to a program I am very interested in (top of my list) after I got an invite from another program that is very close geographically to it, and thought - what the heck! I got an invite a couple of weeks later - don't know if this is concidence or if it actually helped.
I think sincerity is the name of the game here, don't do it unless you are really interested in that program. :)

Thanks abmd2006:) I haven't sent any e-mails out yet; but I think that what you did is really smart, and will prolly be doing the same:) Thanks for the opinion--GOOD LUCK:)

I submitted 3 weeks ago and have since scheduled interviews at Long Island Jewish Hospital, and Long Island College Hospital. No other programs called yet. Should I be worried? It looks like i'm so much behind EVERYONE ELSE on this forum!!!

what a lame week....no invites, and one rejection (UVa). dang. but, it is ok. i took USMLE CS yesterday, and i am pretty sure i failed that thing, so they will yank me from the match anyway...:-( stupid test.

but, what surprised me was the UVa rejection mentioned that they had 300 applicants for 5 spots. yikes, that seems like a lot. is ob/gyn sneaking up in popularity?

Members don't see this ad :)
UW Madison interview today. Badger Homecoming on Saturday. :thumbup: It's going to be a good weekend. :D

Adding KUMC from today.

For whatever reason, this week actually picked up a little for me. I got 2 last week (I think) and 4 this week. I am still waiting on some big ones though!

So what I thought was UIC was really UCI. Needless to say, I was kinda confused when I got my interview confirmation to come to Irvine when I thought I was scheduling Chicago! :laugh: Why do programs feel they don't need to put the name of their program in the body of the email and leave it up to us to decipher from the email address? So strange. :rolleyes:

So what I thought was UIC was really UCI. Needless to say, I was kinda confused when I got my interview confirmation to come to Irvine when I thought I was scheduling Chicago! :laugh: Why do programs feel they don't need to put the name of their program in the body of the email and leave it up to us to decipher from the email address? So strange. :rolleyes:

I got UW-Madison today too. Brings my grand total to 3!!! Oh my god! So many interviews!!! :mad:

strathra said:
I got UW-Madison today too. Brings my grand total to 3!!! Oh my god! So many interviews!!! :mad:

Hang in there...I am sure they will be rolling in shortly! Good luck with everything.

Can someone tell me Emory's interview dates?

obgyn06 said:
Do you know anything about Univ of Chicago?

I actually don't know very much. I just applied there because I like Chicago, so applied to most programs there. What do you know about it?

CopperT said:
Can someone tell me Emory's interview dates?

November 5, 12 and 19; and December 3, 10 and 17

strathra said:
Please don't worry! I am sure the reason you are behind in number is that you only submitted your application three weeks ago. Many of us have been on here since early September. Hang in there - they'll come.
:)

cali_girl said:
I actually don't know very much. I just applied there because I like Chicago, so applied to most programs there. What do you know about it?

Yea same reason I applied there pretty much. Haha. I haven't heard much except that it has a good reputation. And I have asked around quite a bit. Who knows! I will probably go just to check it out. I have never been to Chicago but I think I would like it and it is a city me and my husband could compromise on! :)

This thread is great... i was curious how many of you are IMGs from the US? You know, went to college here and then went to the caribbean for medical school etc?

How is the process going for you? Or if you know someone who is and going through this I would love to hear how its going...

I went to med school at another Chicago hospital and applied only to a few Chicago programs but my take on UofC was pretty negative. In general they have a pretty malignant reputation. The residents there were unhappy and it was definatley a hierarchy with the chief resident at the top. Of of their more malignant staff (a Gyn-Onc) has since moved so I don't know how that has changed things. On the other hand U of C is a world renown academic center (although not really in OB) and they were going under renovations for a new unit. I interviewed 2 years ago so things may have changed. . .Good luck with all your interviews

hi
i have also sent u pvt. msg

how did it go at austin?
im up on friday..

Duke
U of Tenn
received today!

JPagan said:
This thread is great... i was curious how many of you are IMGs from the US? You know, went to college here and then went to the caribbean for medical school etc?

How is the process going for you? Or if you know someone who is and going through this I would love to hear how its going...

i am a US citizen IMG. the process is going well. had one interview so far, and i feel very good about it. i recieved 15 invites, 2 rejections, have a bunch more out there that i am waiting to hear from. but, i think if i get 10-12 solid interviews i will match, so right now i feel good about my chances.

Got rejected from UVA yesterday...
I want to get an interview @ OHSU so bad I can taste it.

ps - can you tell i applied to WAY too many places. i am still waiting to hear from 14(!!!!)

Updated list of interviews:
Emory
Univ of MD
Washington hospital
Pennsylvania hospital
temple
univ of vermont
univ of chicago
mcg
mercer savannah
univ of south florida
lenox hill hospital
univ of hawaii
kaiser oakland
george washington
univ of massachusetts
carolinas medical ctr
greenville hospital systems
MAHEC - asheville
musc
franklin square hospital ctr

rejections:
uva

Big day today- invites from:
UCSD
UNC
UCLA Harbor (by phone!)

obgyn06- did you hear back from GWU about scheduling an interview? I emailed twice over the past week and no response! I'm about to look up their phone number and just call!

daisyduke said:
Big day today- invites from:
UCSD
UNC
UCLA Harbor (by phone!)

obgyn06- did you hear back from GWU about scheduling an interview? I emailed twice over the past week and no response! I'm about to look up their phone number and just call!

No I haven't heard back yet either...

Interview update:
I had a lull for about 2 weeks but it has definitely picked up this week.

Medical College WI
UW Madison
UNM
U of Cincinnati
Ohio State
IUPUI
Lutheran General, Park Ridge,IL
Emory
Santa Clara Valley
UC Davis
Kaiser Oakland
U of Minn
OHSU :D

Like the rest of you, I applied to too many. I am waiting for quite a few more responses. It seems like the magic number is 12 interviews. Any advice on how many should be "safety schools?"

Here's what I've got so far...

AGMC
BIDMC
Jefferson (Philly)
Cedars Sinai (LA)
Johns Hopkins
University of Vermont
CWRU/Cleveland Clinic
Ohio State
Mount Sinai (NY)

Has been kind of slow recently...hoping to hear from some more by the end of the week or hopefully next week! :rolleyes:

Good luck guys and remember that it'll all be over soon!

obgyn06 said:
No I haven't heard back yet either...

I haven't heard back from GW either. I sent them my preferences as soon as I got the invite, and I'm still waiting.....

lmh14 said:
I haven't heard back from GW either. I sent them my preferences as soon as I got the invite, and I'm still waiting.....

Ditto...

GW just confirmed my interview date today. apparently they didn't meet until this week.

i cannot remember the last interview invite i recieved....dang! good thing i got a lot early, or i would be freaking. as it is, i just feel unloved :-(

yep i just got confirmed at GWU also.

got my 2nd rejection...Beth Israel.

So I was complaining about not getting interviews from the Phoenix programs yet. So tonight I open up an interview invite from Maricopa County/PIROG. Yay. But they offered me only one date (11/10). They said they hadn't reviewed my app yet (what the hell took them so long? I know others had gotten interviews before me...) and if I declined the interview because I couldn't go on that date, they'd have to put my app before the residency review committee before the offered me another one. Well, when I accepted my rotation here at UCSD I had to sign a contract saying I wouldn't miss any days of the rotation because of interviews at other programs. My last day here is 11/11. I had to turn that interview down and ask for my application to be reviewed for another date! WTF???????????? It's so unfair. So now I wait some more on them. Sigh. Good grief.

So UCSD has offered interviews now? Perhaps I should have smiled more at Dr. Miller as I was presenting patients to her yesterday :(

I received invites from Cook County and Stanford today

OHSU today!! Very, very happy.
First rejection: Un. of Missouri-Columbia. ?

I want OHSU!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

yes, i'm very jealous ;) at least i haven't gotten a rejection from them yet.

obgyn06 said:
I want OHSU!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

yes, i'm very jealous ;) at least i haven't gotten a rejection from them yet.

obgyn06, what's so fabulous about OHSU?
(just out of curiousity -- I haven't heard from them either!)

thankssss
snow

All from word of mouth....
Happy residents. Very little "hierarchical" type crap. Well respected program, good name. Academic with community feel. Great numbers. Portland OR.

If I could get an interview, it could possibly be my number 1 choice.

Hawaii
Ohio State

If anyone out there has lived or is living on Oahu, please message me and tell me how you do (did) it (rents, where to avoid, schools, etc.), Thanks!

obgyn06 said:
All from word of mouth....
Happy residents. Very little "hierarchical" type crap. Well respected program, good name. Academic with community feel. Great numbers. Portland OR.

If I could get an interview, it could possibly be my number 1 choice.

Being a student at OHSU currently, I would say all these things are completely true. However, I am at Univ of Washington right now doing a sub-i in gyn onc, and I would say the residents here that I've met so far are just as happy as at OHSU and there don't seem to be any power issues with the faculty here either (but I've only been here for a week). I hope you get an interview! good luck! :)

Did anyone else get an email from UCSD around 10/25 stating:
Your application to UCSD Department of Reproductive Medicine Residency Program has been received and is in the process of being reviewed. Please make certain that all your documentation has been submitted so that we have a complete application package for you. If you are selected for an interview we will alert you as soon as possible via email.

And if you did, do you believe it implies that your application is incomplete? je ne comprende pas.