Interviews

Started by ealmeida
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ealmeida

New Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an interview at Kirksville, is there any insight as to what types of questions they ask?
 
Ealmeida,
I prepared for interviews by reading as much about osteopathyic medicine as I could but it really didn't matter. The interveiw was just a general conversation and I never got any of those questions about medical politics, current events ect. that could have been asked. Just relax, you will never be able to prepare for all of the questions that could be asked so just be calm and be ready for anything. I would be ready for "Why do you want to be a DO" or to explain any weaknesses in your application although neither one may be asked.

Interview day at KCOM is pretty enjoyable, while you are there take full advantage of the admissions office at KCOM they are great.


------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All interviewees:

The season is upon you. You have finally come to the conclusion that most people who apply to [good] medical schools are intellectually qualified to get through the program. You now realize that the interview is the last imperfect hoop you must jump through. Since I went through it all twice, I will give my thoughts.

1. Groom Thyself, Well. I don't know how many interviews I went to where people had ridiculous clothes on that didn't fit, or were wrinkled, etc. Unshaven. Bad breath? You'd be surprised.

2. Know Thyself, Better. Putting on the perfect applicant fascade is so enticing, but most intelligent interviewers will see through that in a heartbeat. Emphasize the truths about yourself, and be keenly aware of your drawbacks. Understand them in very specific and substantiated terms.

3. Prepare Thyself, Best. Canned answers are a sure bet you'll get a very thin envelope from the admissions committee down the road, but witty, thought-provoking answers (and questions!) are a door-opener to unbound glory. If you can get to connect with an interviewer on their level, you have made some serious points. Days before your interview, anticipate topics and discussions. Formulate directions you want to take with those topics, but don't scribe your whole answer before you get into the interview. If you can't think on your feet you don't belong in medicine anyway.


Brad
 
Be yourself and be Honest with your answers. Feed them a bunch of answers that you think they want to hear and the will see right through it. Osteopathic schools are looking for genuine, people persons. Look your best, act confident even though you feel nervous, and be geniune....Best of Luck!!!