Interviews???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tubemonkey

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Curious as to how many interview offers people have received and where they're from. I applied to 14 programs and have had 7 offers thus far (CCF, Florida, Maine, UNC, UK, Penn St., and UVA.) It seems like most programs are not waiting on Dean's letters. Good luck to everyone and see you on the trail!

Members don't see this ad.

I have had similar results. I applied to 22 programs and have had 8 invitations so far:

UMass, UConn, CCF, Dartmouth, Univ FL, UChicago, Univ of Rochester & Penn St.

Best of luck & success to everyone out there on the interview trail.

Somewhat similar results as well, although I hope things improve once my last letter gets in. 20 programs, heard from UChicago, UMichigan, UWisconsin, Loyola, Northwestern, Illinois Masonic Medical Center

Members don't see this ad :)
northwestern, u chicago, loyola, dartmouth, slu, ucla-harbor, maryland, utsouthwestern,

hoping for more, please...especilly ccf and anything in new york and boston.

It is my impression that we're still in the early stages of this game. Hell, interviews have yet to even begin. I think this week & next will be when the bulk of invites come out -- just my guess! And, the Dean's Letters have not yet been released...it would not surprise me to learn that several programs actually do wait until they have a Dean's Letter to invite folks.

On another note, I had a rather strange communique from Virginia Commonwealth Univ in Richmond today...yep, on Columbus Day. They asked me to review the requirements they have stated on their web site & to reply with any questions I had. I have no idea if they are considering inviting me or just politely telling me to go away!?!? Anyone else receive a similar notice from VCU?

i'm a long time browser, first time poster.

i don't know about vcu... i didn't apply there.

i've received interviews from penn, yale, dartmouth, mayo, unc, kentucky and emory so far.... anyone have any thoughts on these programs?

hi,
i also have similar invitation results. so far heard from columbia, unc, georgetown, ccf, mayo, university of chicago, northwestern, and harbor-ucla. anyone has any thought on these programs?

for all of you guys about to embark on the expensive journey of interviewing... please read scutwork.com first about the different programs (they tend to be honest) - if reviews are available, and then you can use those reviews to ask more pointed questions of the residents....

just remember 2 things
1) you need to be happy with your living situation - your significant other needs to be happy - because if you aren't happy at home, work won't be fun
2) programs will frontload a lot of bull****... you will mainly meet residents the dept. wants you to meet, you will receive letters from all the programs telling you that you are a top stud (you will be flattered - that is okay, but just take it with a grain of salt).

oh and one last thing... places with malignant surgery programs tend to have awesome cases and cranky residents - try to find the more mentally sane programs, so that you can have actual friendships with those residents.

my 2 cents, and good luck to everybody
tenesma

Regarding the previous posts. I interviewed at several of the places mentioned.

Penn: strong program, DO friendly, you work hard but I think the caseload is great. New program director seems good, but I am not sure how resident friendly the place is.

Yale: another DO friendly program. Isn't one of the strongest in the country. Not bad, but there are better... NYC programs.

UNC: good program with new facilities. If you have a family and are ready to settle down this is the place to be. Happy residents and a good PD.

Northwestern: didn't attend interview, but facilities are supposed to be great.

U Chicago- not that resident friendly, having $$ problems?

Emory: great program with great caseload. Happy residents, great PD and chair. Location is great. Doesn't have the national reputation but great overall.

Mayo- a guy from my school is there now. One of the better programs in the country. But it is in Rochester, MN.

CCF: didn't interview there, but have not heard good things. You are there to work and that's it.

as for costs for interviewing.... I think places still pay for hotels... enjoy. Find a place where you want to live, happy anesthesia residents and a pro-resident program. Good luck!

Columbia- great caseload, happy residents. Location is not the greatest, but I think the training is the best in NYC.

Cornell: not as great of a caseload, but awesome location. Great PD. again, happy residents (common among anesthesia)

Mt. Sinai: good caseload. Good PD. Pro-resident. Good location. Doesn't have national reputation as Columbia.

thanks for the info jester and tenesma,

got a general question. what are the top 10 anesthesiology residency programs? thanks.

you know better than to ask this question. you'll get a million different responses...

A thought on the VCU comment to Old Man Dave. They require that your Step II scores be in, or they won't consider ranking you. Maybe they're just driving that point home as they seem to be hung up on it. I didn't apply there specifically for that reason. I don't want to tarnish my nice Step I scores! Anyway, since my original post I've received 1 more offer from Medical College of Georgia. Nothing in the last 6 days or so. Would like to get 3 or 4 more, but I guess we'll wait and see. Keep posting those offers!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Top 10 Anesthesia Programs: (in no particular order, and in my humble opinion)
1) Hopkins
2) MGH
3) UCSF
4) Brigham
5) PENN
6) Mason? (in Washington St) known for regional
7) Columbia
8) Mayo
9) Univ of Fla (?)
10) Duke, Emory, Mt. Sinai, Stanford, U Mich (all good programs)

Hey there everyone.

I applied to 18 programs and have heard from Emory, MCG, UAB, UF, UVA, Vandy, Duke, UNC, Hopkins, Northwestern, U Chicago, and UCSF.

Still waiting on Mass Gen, B and W, UW, UCSD, and Stanford.

How many interviews do you think it is feasible to attend? It seems almost impossible to go to even half of these, especially, with extra transitional/prelim year interviews.

Anyone hear about transitional year interviews yet? I haven't heard a peep.

Good luck to all.

Thanks.

I've been fortunate enough to pick up a couple of new invites: Univ of Arkansas, Western Penn, Univ of Pittsburgh & yesterday, an invite from VCU. My target was 10 to 12 interviews. Who knows, I may be lucky enough to be in the situation of having to select a program or two to drop before its all over?

Transitional & Preliminary Years
I've heard very little myself. I have had 1 surgery program contact me and inquire if I wished to change my application to a categorical position...I said no, and have not heard anymore from them. I've gotten 2 other prelim surgery invites and 2 IM prelim invites so far

IM: U Conn & Penn St Surg: Pinnacle Health (same twon as Penn St) & Wake Forest

But, those all came fairly early and I have not heard anything new in a couple of weeks. I am curious to know if the programs are holding out to make sure that folks who are actually interested in IM or Surgery get preference for their prelim slots before inviting candidates who are blatantly planning to go elsewhere after the first year?

Oh well, I'm doing better than I anticipated doing so far. I feel that I am a very strong candidate, but with the level of competitiveness in anesthesia, I figured the invites would be a little more scarce. I've purposely mixed my apps b/t program I perceive as strong/competitive and more mid-level quality but less well know programs.

Best of luck to all!!

hi,

i applied to both transitional and medicine prelim for intern year. so far, i have heard from 5 transitional and 4 medicine prelim programs this week. havent heard from anesthesia program this week, wonder what's happening. good luck to everyone.

Hey guys, I'm just a second year, but here's some info I heard through the grapevine that may be beneficial to you.

Here?s my 2 cents:

UTMB: I?m surprised you guys haven?t applied there. It?s run by ?kids? (late 30?s and early 40?s) as attendings, making it a real laid back collegial atmosphere. A guy from my hometown is a critical care attending there. They also do a fair amount of research. I guess the crappy location (Galveston REALLY SUCKS) really sours many applicants. In spite of the location, I think it would be a cool place to do residency.

UT-SW: Get ready to work your @ss off. Also, this place is a big-time surgery powerhouse?.so get ready to play second fiddle to the department of surgery. I talked w/ an Emergency Medicine attending there and he basically said that the EM guys don?t get to do much invasive stuff at Parkland b/c of the surgery dominance of trauma. They gotta go to Dallas Methodist to get the invasive skills they need. Given the personalities of most aspiring anesthesiologists, the high work load of this program turns many of them off.

UT-H: Just like the vast majority of their programs: malignant. Residents aren?t happy (esp the surgery guys) and get abused daily.

Medical College of VA: A good program w/ great teaching but a non-prestigious reputation. A guy from my school is there and he reports that the teaching is pretty good and the attendings are pretty cool. The only significant problem he?s had there was a few CRNA?s there that were a bit unhappy with their status as ?nurses? and decided to get their ?shots? in on the interns before they couldn?t do it anymore.

UAB: Hotshot program in what many might call a bad location (I like it though, since I?m a southern boy) Also surprised not to see more of you guys applying there. Residents are supposedly very happy with great cases and excellent research. Also, judging by the class rosters, they make an effort to bring in at least 1 or 2 DOs in per class which is great news for DO applicants.

UF: Hotshot program in a good location. Good luck matching there, that one?s pretty popular.

Good Luck guys!!!

Have gotten interviews at Colombia, NYU, Emory, Illinois Masonic, U of Chicago, Loyola, Rush, Boston Medical Center, Tulane, and U of Miami. Haven't heard a peep from any Cali schools yet...anyone else?

Heard from 2 transitional yr programs as well in Pheonix and Chicago.

doc-halo,

in response to your post...

i just spent two months at UTMB in SICU and OB anesth. i really enjoyed the rotations. SICU is tough to understand because of the difficulty of the pathology. who's the attending that you know? i might have met him/her. i had a great experience in OB anesth at UTMB. Did about 40 spinals and 20 epidurals by myself. of course i didn't get every one. started with about 20% success rate during the first week to about 60-70% by the end of my last week. residents there are cool. attendings are really cool. there are a few malignant attendings, but so does every other program. i would seriously consider this program, except i think the patient load might be lacking. they don't have enough hearts, so they head off to texas heart institute.

i'm doing a UTSW rotation now. it's pretty cool. got to know lots of people. you're right...it's a surgery powerhouse here, but anesthesia is really respected. they do work really hard here. call schedule is tougher than most places. approx q4 while in parkland. if you're at zale lipshy hospital (private), you'll have cased added on throughout the day. the residents often finish at 6pm. but, i think the program is excellent, but really tough. it's also very competitive. i've met tons of UTSW students doing their sub-I's. they are all interested in anesth. last year, i believe the program accepted 10 students from UTSW, leaving about 5 for outsiders. low odds if you ask me, but it's still my favorite program.

later

hi,

heard from hopkins today. it's interesting how they didnt contact me via email but by letter instead. wonder how that place is, in addition to the name.

Originally posted by sechen
hi,

heard from hopkins today. it's interesting how they didnt contact me via email but by letter instead. wonder how that place is, in addition to the name.

hopkins is pretty nice. the anesthesia residents are a very happy and social group. attendings teach a ton and are great with residents and students. i've heard lots of people worrying about the toxicity of hopkins, but i haven't found that to be the case at all.

plus, the case-load has tons of variety and the relationship between anesthesia and surgery is quite good. and the sicu experience can't be beat (if you're into that kind of thing). :p

best of luck to everyone. looking forward to seeing you out and about on the interview trail....

Hi all.
I've heard from a few more schools... OHSU, Beth Israel, UC-Davis. I don't know much about Davis, so would appreciate any input from you all. I also heard a rumor that Beth Israel is undergoing some 'changes' and wonder if anyone has any information on that program.

Is anyone interviewing yet? Good luck to all who are!

Wow, I visited this site a year ago and was in the spot as you guys. Here's my two cents on my interview process last year, but some things may have changed I guess:

UVA: Awesome program, happy residents, the town may be too small and college based but a great place for a family and an outdoors minded individual...same goes for Wake.

Emory: Fantastic program, residents party hard, work hard, and the case load is probably the most extensive I saw from the private easy cases to the grudges of trauma at Grady. Highly underrated program in my opinion, and Atlanta rocks if you don't mind sitting in the car for hours, but the gas and cost of living isn't too bad.

UAB: Another great program, Birmingham is a nice sized southern town with amazingly a lot to do, and not too far from Nashvegas and atlanta. Chair is highly respected as is most of the staff, has good moonlighting opportunities if you're into that stuff.

UF: Good program with longstanding respect, however the location may be a drawback since it is mainly a college town. Generally, happy residents, great simulator, and good weather all year round.

NYC programs: All are very good and all are in good locations in my opinion, however the residents at Cornell seem happier than the other places.

Boston programs: All excellent and the staff are very nice as are all the residents, definitely all live up to their reputations and actually all the friends I made on the trail ranked MGH and BW as their 1 or 2, not to say they or I got in....

Mayo: Awesome facililties, over 100 ORs, low cost of living, high prestige, great PD and Chair, but I couldn't deal with the 5 bazillion feet of snow and 11 months of winter.

Stanford: great location outside of San Fransisco, great facilities, good simulator, well respected and easy going staff, close to beaches and surfing, residents are very laid back and sharp, drawbacks are the still ridiculous cost of living.

UCSD: ummmmmmmmmmm, it's San Diego, nuff said.

That's my winded two cents or nickel's worth, anyway best of luck to all of you guys and hopefully I'll see you guys in the OR's someday. Feel free to email if you have specific questions about somewhere and I'll try to help or at least tell you who to ask! Oh, about intern year, it sucks......I'm so thankful I'm doing anesthesia every waning day, minute, second.

I need a bit of help,

Maybe someone can explain this to me....

How is it possible to get interview invites to Stanford, BI, MGH, Penn and USC but then get the "I'm sorry but you really suck" letter from UCSD. I just don't get it.

This has now got me totally nervous about the rest of the Ca schools. Has anyone else heard from them. What's the deal. I still am waiting on UCI, UCD, UCLA, UCSF, but feel quite a bit worse since this little "setback." Any help is always appreciated.

Ca. Dreamin'

I've gotten invites to all the CA schools but have not heard from UCSF. Denied by MGH. Hope this info helps.

UCSF has sent out interviews, but does so by regular mail. I got one a week or so ago so make sure you check your mailbox. Also, I really have no interest in CA so I will likely say no to this interview which should open up a spot. I hope that you get it.

Don't feel bad! I got rejected by both Stanford and UCSD today, but I have invites to UCD, USC, Penn, MGH, Cornell, and Columbia. I too am still waiting to hear from the other California schools!
:confused:

Thanks guys.

But this just goes to my point...

Redtape gets denied by Stanford and UCSD but gets one at MGH.

Goldenboy gets invites to all the CA schools but gets denied by MGH.

You already know my situation.

And Abords is just plain nice enough to offer me his interview. (Thanks man, but I think they said no to me and it seemed pretty clear that that was the final decision)

It just seems wacky....no real rhyme or reason. Anyway thanks for the response everyone. Looking forward to helping someone out to repay the kindness.

Ca. Dreamin'

I do agree. I have been fortunate enough to get interviews at hopkins, mgh, mayo, michigan, wash u, ccf, duke, ucsf, b and w, but no invite from UIC or unc, 2 programs i thought would be "safety programs." guess you never can tell. best of luck to everyone.

hi guys,

wow, havent visited this website in couple days and everyone is having the good/bad news. i have to say that there is no absolute sureness about interview invitation. i expected to get interviews from standford, ucsd, and virgina mason...they all declined my application. ucsd claimed that they received over 500 applications for 10 spots this year. i think it has to do with the match between you and the program. what is your goal for residency and what the program can offer to you. i have noticed that the programs that invited me are very much into research and academic medicine b.c this is what i plan after the residency.

didnt apply to ucsf but heard from all uc schools. words from other people about SF: top program in the nation but you work VERY HARD. the residents there are "very tired."

still waiting on mount sinai, duke, unversity of washington. anyone heard from mount sinai at all? i dont know what is going on with duke? kind of expect them to offer me an interview.

any advice on hopkins and mgh?

good luck on the interview trail everyone.

As one who has been thru the process, I can appreciate what y'all are having to deal with right now. However, for those who got rejections from the Calif schools, don't feel to bad. From personal experiences:

UCSD - Lots of testosterone flowing in this place. Feels like a surgery program. Chairman is weird (that's my impression). The program thinks it's better than it really is. The location, however, can not be beat.

USC - A mess of a program last year. Didn't even apply there.

Stanford - the residents looked ragged on interview day. Some looked as if they were going to fall over at the dinner. They work them HARD there. Good location, but cost of living sucks.

UCSF - The most academic, with the most prestigious rep. However, cost of living sucks, and you're worked like a dog because the reputation of the program has to be upheld. Go to this program only if you think you want to stay in academia.

UC-Irvine -- Actually a pretty decent program in terms of teaching and the quality of the experience, but you gotta drive all over the freaking place.

Good luck kids.

I was just wondering if anyone knows about how good the USC program is

OK everyone...here is a tidbit of my life. The moral being: Beware of e-mail because it may cause you problems. (I'm using Yahoo)

The short version is: I had received a prelim surg interview at UCLA, but had not heard from anesthesia. However, I wanted to avoid being annoying by calling etc, everyone knows how that is. Anyway, I finally called yesterday. The residency coordinator looked up my info and said after a long pause;

"HMMMMM, WE SENT YOU AN INTERVIEW TWO WEEKS AGO"

This is one of those residency nightmares that people have. Now, I am sure people may blow off places, but maybe they could have tried again..whatever. Anyway as a result of this little snafu I will be forking over an extra grand or so, in order to go out to the LAST interview day they had available which is a week from now. I"m slightly pissed but I'm getting therapy currently and should be over that soon.

People, if you haven' t heard from places you might consider calling. I don't want to cause widespread panic but I do want people to have a fair shot at attending the interviews that they have already been given. Hope this helps. Good luck all.

Ca. Dreamin'

2 interviews so far and the crux of the interviews were just do you have any questions for me. I had prepared an interesting case, but never have had the opportunity to present it. Anyone been pimped on interviews?

I used this site last year and was just looking through to see what the word on the street is this time around....my two cents (unsolicited)
First of, certain programs will invite you by e-mail, others by mail or even telephone. After your interview you may receive letters, phone calls, or both. None of this makes any difference. Some programs (Hopkins for example) will go as far as to tell you approximately where you are ranked. B.S.... This is all an interview technique. They want to see your reaction. If you are extremely excited about being ranked in their "top third" and having a "great chance of matching," they may just rank you high and then go on to brag on their website how they got their first choice of applicants with great scores. All of this is B.S.... Be careful, ignore the "thank you for visiting letters." Just because your friend got one and you didn't, doe not mean that they will get in and you won't.
Second, if you are extremely interested in a program do a second look, spend time with the chief residents. They were most likely chosen because the faculty likes them and trusts their opinion. Who knows, they may even help you by saying a few good things about how you were very interested in the OR and asked good questions and helped fill syringes.... You know, the things med students do.... A second look can't hurt.
Third, "top programs" What is that? There is no such concept. Every PD thinks of their program as being the top (just ask Sinai, Cornell, Columbia, and NYU) Then there is the East vs. West coast. It's all about where you want to practice or do fellowship. If you want to do cardiac anesthesia you may just want to go to a less known program in Texas because the faculty there can get you a Texas Heart fellowship... Last year, if you wanted to do Ob a good place was St.Lukes/Rosevelt in Ny, b/c Dr. Birnbach was there. He left somewhere else though..... For pain, a great place is Buffalo, because the editor of one of the ASA publications is the chair and Dr. Oscar ... (forget the last name) is there as well.
My opinion on some of the programs:
U. Michigan: Best overall training. They didn't fill last year b/c of location. It's hard not to see daylight for most of the year. They had tough cases, excellent faculty, a good relationship with the surgeons, and excellent facilities.
Hopkins: great faculty, good Ca1 and 2 cases, not enough Ca-3 cases (although they will brag about having 5 Whipple's on the schedule every day...big deal...all it is a "fluids management" case)...The majority of the residents were from the mid-west and did not seem very diverse. They are nice people, but they just didn't seem to do much outside of work....Baltimore, of course, does not help. Yes, it is close to DC, but when you get home at 7:30pm and want to go out somewhere local w/o running into folks w/ one tooth....you get the point.
Penn: Excellent, but too big for its own good...surgery has too much pull there and you don't get much respect. Very DO friendly program and some MD grads may not like that.
Columbia: you may hear that's its not friendly, that's B.S. you may hear that the facilities and the neighborhood suck, that's true, BUT...most residents live either down town (the "cool" area of the city) or in NJ... Lot's of good cases, lot's of responsibility early on and good confidence when you graduate. Best in NY? Doubtful, because the reputation is on its way down...financial problems and large faculty turn-over do catch up to the name
Cornell: Definitely the most outgoing and social residents in NY, the PD and faculty socialize w/ residents regularly. It's nice to know that your attending can not only show you something in the OR, but is also "socially capable" of hanging out w/ you. The case load is good, may be a little weak on peds cases, but that's not a big deal.... Probably the best place in NY as far as national level fellowships go... Can get cardiac anywhere, because of Dr. Thomas, pain b/c of another attending whose name I forget, good job channels for when you are done,... after you've done cases at Sloan-Kettering you are not likely to be surprised/scared by anything. There is also something to be said by being in one of the top two regional programs in the country (by rotations at HSS, the other one is Virginia Mason in Seattle, but they have nothing else to offer), and last it's nice to deal w/ intelligent patients who appreciate what you are doing instead of the bums from 168th street, also housing is a bonus, b/c getting to work in 5 minutes is nice even though you may have to work until 7:30pm.
Sinai: Excellent place, happy residents, good cases, basically as good as Cornell, but simply not as social and a bit more "dorky"
...I have omitted Boston b/c I did not apply there, but purely by reputation B&W, then MGH, then BID are what I've heard of.
Finally teaching during residency: You will hear people complain about the lack of teaching in different programs (read the review on Hopkins for example), but the truth is, once you are an attending there are two ways to go: academic vs. not. The beauty of academic practice is that you are never in the OR except to stick your head in at the very beginning and then the very end.... hence, the residents complain of no teaching... may be they leave you alone in the room because they trust you enough and want you to develop self-confidence. ??? Plus, most of the teaching happens by reading the book and doing the case yourself. May be the attending doing research on some drug wants to use it b/c he is interested, but the reality is, is that you will never use this drug when you are out there two years from now doing a case at @$$ community hospital... In other words don't look at "teaching" as a major factor. Look at the environment, location, opportunities, will you be able to spend time outside the OR w/ the residents at the program? Will you be able to go on a ski trip or to a hockey/b-ball game w/ these people. if you are single, will one of these people take one for the team and talk to the ugly friend for you. That's what it's all about. Residency is hard work, nobody leaves at 1pm and gets good in the OR. Working until 8pm is the way to go, but on weekends it's nice to know that Lot 61 is owned by someone who is related to your attending and you can get in, or that your PD has a great travel agent who can get you that Colorado ski vacation for less....
Those are my very long and unsolicited two cents. I am expecting criticism, but will not reply to it. Sorry, if I have offended anyone.
P.S. I matched in one of the aforementioned programs and love it.

Well said. Thank you for your insights.

Just thought this thread was pretty good and might be helpful for those of us applying this year. Last years applicants were quite interesting