Intl' Transcripts- Not verified by AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

raom_dtpi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have an undergrad from outside of the US. I called AMCAS regarding my transcripts and I was told that AMCAS no longer checks international transcripts. So, I was told to check the transcript verification waiver box. If schools needed to see my foreign transcripts, then the schools would ask me to submit directly to them. So, I have only sent my US grad school transcripts to AMCAS.

Well, I just want to confirm that this is true. It concerns me that my undergrad course work won't be verified by amcas. Is any one else in the same situation?

Thanks!

Scout

Members don't see this ad.

When you say "international transcripts" are you talking about Canadian transcripts as well? I am never sure. Sometimes they consider International to be outside the US and Canada. I haven't heard about this and have just sent my transcripts (from Canada) and am hoping they will be checked ok and that this won't hurt my application.

I meant outside of the US and Canada. Mine are from Asia.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am in a similar situation. I received my Bachelor's Degree from The University of Sydney in Australia. I'm pretty sure that all we need to do is fill out the transcript waiver form with the application. It's probably a good idea that they do this anyway because the grading system overseas is so different vs the U.S. GPA system ; having the adcoms make a decision based upon a poorly understood transcript can only hurt us in the process. Good Luck in your application!

when i applied two years ago i simply clicked the 'waive transcript' box. My degree was from britain. I think I finally had to provide evidence when I was finally accepted and had settled on one school, but prior to that it was never an issue.

I have already arranged for my transcript to be sent to AMCAS..... would it hurt in any way .......and I have also put in all of my apx 300 credit hours worth of UGrad work there .... do u ppl think I should remove the course work from my application because even though I was ranked 3rd in the university, my grades are not as stellar as those of US top students ... I have 93 percentile score in ugrad but my transcript scores can not be understood by the adcoms (at least not favorably ... I had 66% overall marks (with the gold medalist scoring 70%) ... so by US standards it is still a D overall but it was one of the highest grades back in Asia)....

Any Advice ..............

CanIMakeIt - I can guess where you are from! I am in the exact same position. With a 64% in Engineering and top 10% of the class. But there is no proof of that anywhere. Even if I mention it in my PS dont know if they'd belive me! I talked to AMCAS and they asked me to check the waiver box, they won't verify the transcript. It's hard enough for me to understand! It is incredibly ridiculous. It doesn't even give my overall %, I have to add up all the courses for all 4 yrs and labs and come up with it.

Pl. let me know if you come up with some interesting way to get the point across to schools! If you've graduated in the recent past, then you can ask for a recommendation letter from a prof there.

Good Luck!
Scout

I think I am just going to leave all the courses on the application because the schools just care about what is in the GRADE TABLE that AMCAS will populate after verrifying everything, so none of your scores from ugrad are going to be on the table .... since I did post-bacc and grad schools here, the grades and scores show up on that table ..... If you don't know what I am talking about then PRINT your application and scroll down and you will see a unpopulated table which will be populated by AMCAS.

I have also mentioned that I was 3rd in the university in my "experiences," if the adcoms are interested then they can take notice otherwise I think they are aware of the grading system used in India and elsewhere

Later

Hey guys,

I feel your frustrations...I am also in the same boat with the grading system at the University of Sydney. A grade of over 65% is considered a good grade and only the top 5-10% of students get 75%-85%...I don't know anyone that got over 85%. By American standards a 65% would be considered a horrible grade. It was also not uncommon for many students to fail classes at my university. I'm certain that I will be better off not submitting my foreign transcripts unless I have to because it will definitely cause a huge misunderstanding and put me at a definite disadvantage (there is really no way to prove that a 75%-80% is the top grade that anyone receives.) I'm just going to let me grades here in the US be judged.

Ok, my 2 cents. I also have some undergraduate studies done overseas (other than Canada). I did sign the waiver and AMCAS does NOT verify it (they don't require official evaluation). HOWEVER, if some of your foreign credits were transferred to american or canadian transcript (for instance, I transferred 3 years and completed here one more and got my diploma here), then those grades that appear on your American transcript WILL be counted toward your AMCAS GPA !!!! Even though your foreign grading system was different , etc, if the evaluation agency ascribed you some grade for your coursework, then it'll be counted. To me it sounds like a contradiction, because AMCAS claims that your foreign coursework doesnt' count toward GPA, however if your foreign coursework appears on american or canadian transcript with some grade, it'll be counted. Be aware!!! I didn't know that until I contacted one of the med schools which waitlisted me to find out why - one of the reasons - low GPA - as a result of inappropriate grade vealuation to american system.

Well the positive thing about my situation is that UTSA was able to put my credit hours earned from my Bachelor's degree from the University of Sydney as transfer credits but without grades ie they list my classes and credit hours but no grades on my transcript. They were able to do this because I completed my entire degree over there and I am a non-degree seeking student. Hence, these credit hours should count towards the minimum credit hour requirements (90 or more) without dragging my grades down. The only grades they consider should only be all my prereqs that I have done here in the U.S. Please correct me anyone if I have misinterpreted the situation.

That's excellent, Bluemirage! That's the best way scenario! You are right - you will have enough credit numbers (>90) and only your american prereq grades will be counted as your GPA. I wish I would've the same situation...uhhhh :(

lynx said:
That's excellent, Bluemirage! That's the best way scenario! You are right - you will have enough credit numbers (>90) and only your american prereq grades will be counted as your GPA. I wish I would've the same situation...uhhhh :(

Lynx, thanks for your reply. It is reassuring to have someone else agree that my interpretation of the AMCAS rules, for my particular circumstances, are correct...good luck in your application process! Which schools did you apply to? Have you been to any interviews? Let us know when you hear something!