Intreview thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tomdickharrysas12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished up interviews and went really well. some of the typical stuff I had heard about from certain programs making you showcase your hand skills with either suturing or hand tying etc. how did everyone else's go?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw some relatively confident and well prepared students and a bunch of other students determined to make them look good.

Students who choose to interview with programs that they haven't clerked (and have no connection to) would be well advised to call/email/or take some sort of step to familiarize them self with the program so that when they are asked - "tell us anything about this program" - they can reply with something of greater detail than a comment from the CASPR page or a recitation of the number of residents at the program and the assumption of what that must mean.

Students who are trying to make the best of an off-year and are working a preceptorship - that's a problem if that letter is bad.

If you were so fortunate as to be told at the end of an interview that you are liked / well ranked / etc - there's probably a case to be made for getting in contact after the interview and reinforcing / demonstrating some degree of commitment or interest (even if its a lie). If you've already been singing your commitment to the program / clerked there / and have stayed in contact and been told you were great all along - so be it. If that was your first interaction with the program and you didn't clerk there - you probably can't put a lot of faith in the praise/ranking/etc (hell, what does highly ranked even mean), but I suspect you still owe the program some sort of communication / email / phonecall in which you demonstrate interest. Though draining/expensive/hopefully unnecessary - there can be value to a visit between interviews and rankings.

As an aside - we had a recent thread where we discussed the value of thank you cards and a thank you card that can be read as non-commit probably has no value. If a program gives you contact information at your interview there's probably an argument to be made that you need to contact them unless it was a disaster or you don't intend to rank them.

Students - f*** the programs - play the game. Rank programs in the order of your interest - do not over-rank a program just because they said they liked you. Tell them what they want to hear and then rank accordingly.

Reactions: 5 users
Students - f*** the programs - play the game. Rank programs in the order of your interest - do not over-rank a program just because they said they liked you. Tell them what they want to hear and then rank accordingly.

Sound advice. This is the right way to rank. Tell anyone and everyone what they want to hear. There is no honor amongst thieves.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Program directors talk. I agree wholeheartedly that you should look out for yourself and only yourself but I’d be careful telling multiple programs that you’re ranking them #1.

If a program says “if we told you that you are our #1 what would your response be?” You can phrase your answer as “I came to CRIP with X programs in mind of where I want to be and you’re in that group. I’d love to finish out the process before I make my final decision.”

All these BS games that programs play are garbage. A program gets to choose from 20-40 students any given year while students only rotate at 5-7 programs. Cornering a student or pressuring them into saying “you’re my #1” only hurts a program imo. I don’t think programs should be telling people where they stand it just creates unnecessary stress for both parties to ensure they land at their #1 which is stupid. No one will ever know who you ranked #1 and no one will ever know the order the program ranked students.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I am so glad to be practicing and past all of this residency nonsense. In the grand scheme of things your program stops caring about you once you graduate.

It is onto the next crop of residents who get to do their bidding. It is great to be a busy attending and have people who care doing all your work for you. Must be really nice.

Reactions: 1 user
Programs do a lot of shady things before, during and after interviews to ensure that they get their top x of residents in their rankings.

It’s pride BS.