CSPM thoughts???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I'm curious of your guys thoughts on CSPM and the new pod school opening. Is it reasonable to think CSPM will "fall apart" per se with Western University opening its doors? I asked a number of faculty there and they say the school is the strongest its ever been. Of course these people are not going to tell everything to future applicants though :sleep: . They bounced back from the hard times with selling their campus and moving to touro's osteopathic school. They require the MCAT and had a decent average for pod schools last year (just below 25). The class size is 40-48 students so I'm not sure what is going to happen once Western opens its doors (it will have an even smaller class size for the first few years).

In addition, what do yall think of CSPM and their extremely early clinical exposure. I heard things ranging from "great" to "extremely stupid." Many people argue that the students do not have the proper basic science background to do clinic that early. The start of your clinical experience starts in the beginning of second year and includes 2 days a week (with 3 days a week of classes). I believe you begin in homeless/medicaid clinics. I heard its a lot of pallative care (of course) in the beginning with some minor nail procedures and injections as well. I was told the main reason is to get used to interacting and treating patients before you move on to the next rotations (limb salvage, 4 month surgery rotation, private practice, etc).

Has anyone interacted with CSPM students on their externships or through APMSA delegates?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

I'm curious of your guys thoughts on CSPM and the new pod school opening. Is it reasonable to think CSPM will "fall apart" per se with Western University opening its doors? I asked a number of faculty there and they say the school is the strongest its ever been. Of course these people are not going to tell everything to future applicants though :sleep: . They bounced back from the hard times with selling their campus and moving to touro's osteopathic school. They require the MCAT and had a decent average for pod schools last year (just below 25). The class size is 40-48 students so I'm not sure what is going to happen once Western opens its doors (it will have an even smaller class size for the first few years).

In addition, what do yall think of CSPM and their extremely early clinical exposure. I heard things ranging from "great" to "extremely stupid." Many people argue that the students do not have the proper basic science background to do clinic that early. The start of your clinical experience starts in the beginning of second year and includes 2 days a week (with 3 days a week of classes). I believe you begin in homeless/medicaid clinics. I heard its a lot of pallative care (of course) in the beginning with some minor nail procedures and injections as well. I was told the main reason is to get used to interacting and treating patients before you move on to the next rotations (limb salvage, 4 month surgery rotation, private practice, etc).

Has anyone interacted with CSPM students on their externships or through APMSA delegates?

I didn't know the California school is joining Touro. When will this happen?

I didn't know the California school is joining Touro. When will this happen?

I wasn't aware that they were. In the early 2000's, CSPM sold the school in SF and moved up to Vallejo with Touro. That only lasted a year and they ended up moving to Oakland and going in with Samuel Merritt and they have been there since.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea they were with Touro for only a year. They are a part of samuel merritt college and remaining that way.

The new podiatry program will be a school within the Western University of the Health Sciences in Pomona, CA. I believe the dean is quite famous and well known (Lawrence Harkless) with his work in diabetes/limb salvage. Seems like the school is following in the footsteps of AZPOD and DMU with the students taking the basic sciences with the DO students. Should be a great place in the long run. If they are going to open a new pod school, this appears to be the way to do it.

Yea they were with Touro for only a year. They are a part of samuel merritt college and remaining that way.

I see. I misunderstood your first post.

I think DMU, AZPOD, etc are great models, especially considering 2015 and parity. I wish Barry would be bought out by Nova. :thumbup:

There was a rumor of an allopathic/osteopathic school eventually being created at Barry U (as they created a "division of medicine" not too long ago). Furthermore, they are finishing phase 1 of new facilities this late fall/summer 2008. It may happen sometime in the future but who knows. Florida seems to have been opening new or branch campuses of medical schools the past few years so we'll see.

There was a rumor of an allopathic/osteopathic school eventually being created at Barry U (as they created a "division of medicine" not too long ago). Furthermore, they are finishing phase 1 of new facilities this late fall/summer 2008. It may happen sometime in the future but who knows. Florida seems to have been opening new or branch campuses of medical schools the past few years so we'll see.

I've heard the same things. I'm pretty sure thy're just rumors. As far as I know, the Dean said it would cost too much. The division of medicine includes podiatry, physician assistants, nursing, and biomedical sciences.

There were other rumors that said Nova was going to buy Barry about 6 months ago that were supposed to be from a pretty reliable source, but I don't think those are true either.

The new building may actually be finished by that projected date. They have been making progress on the building for about the past year, and it looks pretty good.

Exposure during second year was a neat idea but I didn't see why it was necessary if students were going to be fully immersed in their 3rd year. It's a good marketing strategy for eager beavers.

As a person who went through the early clinical model, I enjoyed it. It gave us an opportunity to apply the knowledge as we learned it. And we were precepted! Mostly it was palliative, but the attendings would talk about interesting cases and quiz us so it was absolutely an early hands-on that was effective. And yes, we did injections if we were trusted.

the down side of it was that during those 3 days of classes in our 2nd year, we had to make up for it by going dawn to dusk, with basically the same credit load as our first year! And then in the 3rd year it was just 1 day, but dawn to dusk again....

Now being at the tail end of it, I would have traded early clinicals for greater numbers of externships!! But that's just me.

Does anyone know when the new school in Cali is opening?