Intro Chem - Gen Chem Question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Apples1234

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I did not see this question on the forums, and it makes me feel like I am in an odd situation. I have a question regarding the schools who will accept either intro or gen chemistry. For example, on CSUS (Sacramento State) DPT Prereqs, they will take either chem classes, and I was wondering if it would hurt me if I took the intro chem path. I guess what I am trying to say is: when schools who accept either-or chem courses look at my application, do you think me taking the "easy way out" with intro chemistry will alter their decision, regardless if the rest of my app is great. The intro chem is geared towards health majors fyi. My prereq GPA is about a 3.9 and I am not very strong at chemistry so it would be unfortunate if I had to take the general chemistry coursework.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
 
I would take Gen Chem as well. From what I've experienced the course work is not that much different / more difficult than intro.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Take general chem! You may end up wanting to apply to schools that want gen chem. Don't limit your options.
 
Yeah, you should probably take gen chem to be safe. I ran into this same problem- however, it's a little frustrating because I personally don't feel like I'm learning much more in the gen chem series I'm taking than I did in the first chem series I took. Oh well!