Intro level anatomy and intro level physiology texts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

closer23

Liberal
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
how "intro"? high school? lower division undergrad level?

for anatomy, i found this website to be pretty good for an overview though it may be too detailed for your purposes.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For pictures, I recommend a Netter's and for text, we used Clinically Oriented Anatomy by Moore. There is the unabridged and abridged version (aka baby Moore). For the OP's purpose, the baby Moore may suffice.

vander's human physiology is an easy-to-read lower or upperdivision level book to human physio. it would make an inadequate primary resource in med school (not enough medically relevant details). it's a basic undergrad book that is pretty easy to read.

anatomy is a bit tougher. moore's is a medical text for anatomy and wouldn't be worth reading for an undergrad text. even "baby moore" (eg essential clinical anatomy) focuses a lot more on clinical applications of anatomy instead of basic relationships emphasized in undergrad anatomy. netter's atlas is quite excellent for pictures but is loaded with too much detail even for med students.

student gray's is also an excellent anatomy text. it's med-school level, but it's also in an easy-to-read format (though quite big). i wouldn't start combing through the book, you'll get overwhelmed easily. but using it as a reference or to quickly read up on a few topics wouldn't be terrible.

however, if you're looking for a primer, i wouldn't even both trying to read these texts. try to look up some online resources. that would be best IMO.

books that combine anatomy and physiology make excellent introductory texts since they eliminate a lot of unnecessary details. if you wanted to have good "groundwork," you can try that.

also, the anatomy and physiology revealed (APR) CD-ROM was highly recommended by my anatomy professor. the animations are superb. the level of detail might be just right for an undergrad intro class. and it's only 30 or 40 bucks.