Program-Specific Info / Q's Intro to OT -- WMU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NPULFC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So WMU requires you to take an Intro to OT course as a pre-req.

I found out today when a bill came in the mail that I owe them 1275 dollars for this class. How is this ethical being that you have to pay for this class (1275) a textbook (30) and the app fee of 50 I believe totaling 1300+.

I was put on the waitlist and now idk if I will continue to be on it.

Anyone else in this class or experience something similar?

Members don't see this ad.

So WMU requires you to take an Intro to OT course as a pre-req.

I found out today when a bill came in the mail that I owe them 1275 dollars for this class. How is this ethical being that you have to pay for this class (1275) a textbook (30) and the app fee of 50 I believe totaling 1300+.

I was put on the waitlist and now idk if I will continue to be on it.

Anyone else in this class or experience something similar?

Well you signed up for the class, so I think its ethical. Not cheap though. Each school usually has unique pre-reqs. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? Did you apply to Grand Valley?

Well you signed up for the class, so I think its ethical. Not cheap though. Each school usually has unique pre-reqs. What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? Did you apply to Grand Valley?

last 60 3.9
pre-req 3.5 i think higher after they factor in me getting an A in that intro to OT

did you apply?

Members don't see this ad :)
No i didn't apply cause I didn't finish that course but I applied to Grand Valley State and I will hear back not week. I'm sure Western Michigan Uni is harder to get into since it's cheaper. Are you from West Michigan?

last 60 3.9
pre-req 3.5 i think higher after they factor in me getting an A in that intro to OT

did you apply?
Why don't you drop the course then? I'm sure you can get half your money back. I doubt you will move off the waitlist since WMU is one of the cheapest schools in America for OT

Yes, I am currently in this class and paid for it out of pocket. It s-u-c-k-s. I didn't even get waitlisted though, just the rejection letter. I have heard many cases in the past of students moving on from the waitlist - so congrats on that accomplishment. My reasoning for taking the course, was I wanted to know for certain if/if not I could get in, and not have to wonder the what if's, so opted to take the course. I received perfect scores on the application, other than my last 60 GPA was a 3.6 and it was suggested I take one or two semesters to bump that up, and re-apply next year- UM NO. not spending thousands on BS classes just to get A's. Their focus on GPA is unfortunate for hopeful students like me. The date for receiving 25% of tuition back and having a W on your transcript was last week Friday. I made the decision to complete the class and try to move on from it. And, I feel like I am learning (some...but do I think it was worth the cost? heck no).

I also will find out from GVSU next week. True WMU is cheaper, but there are more important factors to consider in my opinion when committing to a program. I LOVED the faculty, program structure, curriculum, students I met throughout the process of GVSU more so than WMU. It really is all about finding the best fit and what's best for you. I applied to all the schools in the area simply to keep my options open... but I am definitely most excited for GV!! fingers crossed....

Yes, I am currently in this class and paid for it out of pocket. It s-u-c-k-s. I didn't even get waitlisted though, just the rejection letter. I have heard many cases in the past of students moving on from the waitlist - so congrats on that accomplishment. My reasoning for taking the course, was I wanted to know for certain if/if not I could get in, and not have to wonder the what if's, so opted to take the course. I received perfect scores on the application, other than my last 60 GPA was a 3.6 and it was suggested I take one or two semesters to bump that up, and re-apply next year- UM NO. not spending thousands on BS classes just to get A's. Their focus on GPA is unfortunate for hopeful students like me. The date for receiving 25% of tuition back and having a W on your transcript was last week Friday. I made the decision to complete the class and try to move on from it. And, I feel like I am learning (some...but do I think it was worth the cost? heck no).

I also will find out from GVSU next week. True WMU is cheaper, but there are more important factors to consider in my opinion when committing to a program. I LOVED the faculty, program structure, curriculum, students I met throughout the process of GVSU more so than WMU. It really is all about finding the best fit and what's best for you. I applied to all the schools in the area simply to keep my options open... but I am definitely most excited for GV!! fingers crossed....

With a low GPA, it will be very hard to get into an OT program that is accredited. What is your average GPA for all your undergrad? You may want to consider retaking at least 2 prerequisites to improve that GPA at least. Did you finish the Kinesiology course for Grand Valley? good luck! Did you get accepted anywhere?

With a low GPA, it will be very hard to get into an OT program that is accredited. What is your average GPA for all your undergrad? You may want to consider retaking at least 2 prerequisites to improve that GPA at least. Did you finish the Kinesiology course for Grand Valley? good luck! Did you get accepted anywhere?

Is 3.6 considered low for last 60? Mine is 3.9 but does that mean its average?

Yeah for real. I am very proud of my last 60 GPA. But, this year the average was a 3.91 for WMU. It is awesome that student's are so dedicated to pursuing what they want and working hard for those A's and perfect GPAs. I am someone who struggled knowing what I wanted to do throughout my undergrad. Yes, it is hard to get into programs in my case. I have re-taken pre-reqs. And in my situation I am only looking at schools around the W MI area. Thank you for your suggestions and feedback! Hopefully it all works out and we get accepted to the school we want.

There are over 120 OT programs that are accredited. I highly suggest applying out of state. You can still apply to several online and will get in somewhere. A lot of people for graduate school need to move away. You may want to consider a school in another state like Ohio or Wisconsin. Yes, it will be more expensive, but you will graduate a year earlier rather than having to re-apply again to Western Michigan next year. Plus, you can start paying off those loans earlier and move where you want after 2 years of grad school. So, financially is best to start as grad school as soon as possible, assuming you can find a program that is under $80,000.

There are over 120 OT programs that are accredited. I highly suggest applying out of state. You can still apply to several online and will get in somewhere. A lot of people for graduate school need to move away. You may want to consider a school in another state like Ohio or Wisconsin. Yes, it will be more expensive, but you will graduate a year earlier rather than having to re-apply again to Western Michigan next year. Plus, you can start paying off those loans earlier and move where you want after 2 years of grad school. So, financially is best to start as grad school as soon as possible, assuming you can find a program that is under $80,000.

OK, thank you for the tips. Good point you make.

OK, thank you for the tips. Good point you make.
NO problem. Do you have all the prereqs for Grand Valley done like Kinesology? I dislike how they require Kinesology, but no other area school does. But I plan to take that during summer if I am accepted.

---Hi, I am attending GVSU interview. I wanted to know how intense is their writing exercise. Hope to hear from you.