Introducing myself and a few questions

Started by Soku39
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Soku39

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello, my name is Karl. I'm 26, a pilot and officer in the Air National Guard component of the USAF and am an airline pilot for my full time civilian employment. Long story short I have grown to despise the aviation industry and have decided to simply walk away, medicince has always interested me and I think now is the time to put up or shut up. I have a degree in "aeronautics", big mistake I know, but it is also time to correct that. I am in the category of low GPA as I only graduated with a 3.1, though I have taken up to Calc and Physics 2.

My plan is to up my bachelor GPA with med school pre-reqs and apply for USAF HPSP which is a bare min 3.2 to apply, and which I already know is extremely competitive.

My question is whether or not it is better to do the basic bio and chem classes at a 4 year university or at a community college (airline pilots do not make a lot of money and I would be paying for this out of pocket). I've read differing opinons on the web but many of them are dated. Does anyone have any current opinions on which would be better?

I am welcome to hear any other suggestions or opinons on this plan.

Thank You
 
Last edited:
From what I've seen @Goro & @LizzyM mention, CC is an acceptable route for completing pre-reqs.
 
100% concur. As a non-tad, you get cut more slack on CC coursework than do the typical 4 year UG pre-meds. however, not all medical schools accept CC credits. Invest in the MSAR Online to find out which ones do and don't. There's no rhyme nor reason to it either.

And many thanks for your service to our country.

From what I've seen @Goro & @LizzyM mention, CC is an acceptable route for completing pre-reqs.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CC is acceptable however be aware that some schools will not accept CC prereqs and most schools prefer university courses.

At the same time, you're going for DO schools, CC would probably be the best option.

Before you talk to a recruiter about HSPS visit the SDN military medicine page (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/military-medicine.72/) and read everything there especially the pros/cons thread.