Introducing yourself to patients on rotations...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You know, the confusion between the title Doctor and the profession Doctor is polluting other languages too now. In french, the word for MD is medecin (with some accents that I don't think will turn out in SDN). The word for Dr. is Docteur. But nowadays, if you say Docteur, it can be taken as MD. We should just come up with new titles. heh, like that would work...

Members don't see this ad.

Nerdoscience said:
I got called, "Doctor" at Walgreens the other day, and did a double-take.

Reaction 1: Who the he11 were they talking to?
Reaction 2: How did they find out I was a doctor? It's like they know my secret identity.
Reaction 3: Oh, it says I'm a doctor on my insurance card. Damn
Reaction 4: Okay, now I'm a doctor, so don't say anything dumb.

Very sad.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
IUSM said:
You know, quite a few patients also don't understand why we get paid so much. Perhaps we should cut our pay.

I find the "patients dont understand" argument to be less than appealing.

Because the patients are our 'clients', therefore our behavior has to be based on what is best for them. Remember that the medical profession exists to SERVE patients. Confusion = stress, and a stressed patient is going to have a more difficult course. If maintaining the patient's comfort and minimizing confusion meant the MD's go by Dr. Smith and the medical students go by Hey, you, the one who doesn't know anything, then the medical student should swallow the ego and go by that. Now I'm not saying that disrespect is ok, I'm just making the point that an individual's desire to have his/her accomplishments acknowledged is not an acceptable reason to confuse the patient.

The 'cut our pay' argument isn't really valid to the point being discussed. I don't understand why a lot of things cost as much as they do, but supply and demand dictate a price, and if I want the product or service, I pay. Patients have to live by those rules too. The point here though is that as a service provider, our patients are our customers, and if they don't like our service, they'll take their business elsewhere. However, even if there's a monopoly in the area, I think a service provider such as a physician (especially a physician) has an ethical obligation to provide the best service possible to the patient.

I don't think anyone's actually disagreeing on the point of this thread though, so I'll shut up :)

"Good morning <patient first name here>! My name is Richie, I'm a third year medical student. I will be taking care of you today. Tell me about what ails you this morning?"

I hope it stays "Richie" too. I went to medical school to be a doctor, not to be called one. :laugh:

Richie Truxillo said:
"Good morning <patient first name here>! My name is Richie, I'm a third year medical student. I will be taking care of you today. Tell me about what ails you this morning?"

I hope it stays "Richie" too. I went to medical school to be a doctor, not to be called one. :laugh:

You will find that some patients do not want to be called by their first names, especially if they are much older than the clinician. Also, once you are a doctor, I would make sure your patients understand you are the doctor, regardless of what you call yourself. Otherwise, you'll have the flip side of the problem discussed above.

But, definitely, introducing yourself by your first name as a med student is the easiest way to go.

Yeah, I think patients should always be addressed by "Mr", "Miss", or "Dr.". It's just more professional and polite.

Nerdoscience said:
You will find that some patients do not want to be called by their first names, especially if they are much older than the clinician. Also, once you are a doctor, I would make sure your patients understand you are the doctor, regardless of what you call yourself. Otherwise, you'll have the flip side of the problem discussed above.

But, definitely, introducing yourself by your first name as a med student is the easiest way to go.

Quix said:
I've been hanging out in the non-trad forum, and there are a few of us who have earned Ph.D.'s before applying to medical school. Clearly we aren't M.D.'s, but we aren't Mr.'s or Ms.'s, either. Further, we don't want to confuse patients, or waste their time explaining the situation, so...

On the off chance that we're admitted, what is the etiquette when rounding, introducing yourself to patients, etc.?

EDIT: To complicate matters a bit, my Ph.D. (Health Care Ethics) had two years of clinical rotations, so we aren't talking about a Ph.D. in English or Musicology, here.

The medical school wants us to say "Hi, I'm Student Doctor lastname."

I introduce myself as "I'm firstname, a medical student."

The following are accepted titles (we'll use John Smith):

I'm Student Doctor Smith.
I'm John, a Student Doctor.
I'm John, a Student Physician.
I'm John, a Medical Student.
I'm John, a Med Student.
I'm John, a Doctor-in-training.
I'm John, a Student of Dr. Attending.

Hard24Get said:
Yeah, I think patients should always be addressed by "Mr", "Miss", or "Dr.". It's just more professional and polite.

I always greet new patients with Mr/Mrs.

I always greet patients I have previously met with their first name. This is appropriate since I introduce myself with my first name, and expect them to call me by it.

I have noticed that the Student Doctor thing here is more of a D.O. thing, not that there is anything wrong with it but something I've just noticed.

OSUdoc08 said:
The medical school wants us to say "Hi, I'm Student Doctor lastname."

I introduce myself as "I'm firstname, a medical student."

The following are accepted titles (we'll use John Smith):

I'm Student Doctor Smith.
I'm John, a Student Doctor.
I'm John, a Student Physician.
I'm John, a Medical Student.
I'm John, a Med Student.
I'm John, a Doctor-in-training.
I'm John, a Student of Dr. Attending.

nabeya said:
I have noticed that the Student Doctor thing here is more of a D.O. thing, not that there is anything wrong with it but something I've just noticed.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Check out this article from the USC MD school:

http://www-hsc.usc.edu/~mbernste/ethics.studentdoctor.html

"There has been a change in recent years in how patients relate to the medical profession and vice versa. Along with the rise of consumerism, society has shown that it wants to deminish paternalistic behavior by physicians and assure informed consent on the part of the patients. Therefore the current ethical consensus is that there should be a clear understanding between patient and physician regarding all that is transpiring in medical care. This also means that any words or behavior on the part of the caregiver which may lead to deception is not right and may defeat attempts at informed consent.

Medical students have long been identified by the words "student doctor" or "student physician". Medical students, of course, have neither obtained as yet their M.D. degree nor have the legal responsibility of a physician. In keeping with the societal consensus described above, there is some concern whether using these words by medical students in identifying themselves either orally or on their name tag or by others identifying these students may itself be deceptive. The issue here is whether patients or families would misinterpret the qualifications and responsibilities of the student by these descriptions. Would you agree that these words may be deceptive and that medical students should only be identified by the words "medical student"?"

My thoughts? Who cares----medical students and physicians do the exact same thing with patients. The only difference is who signs the forms and who gets paid...

I always use "I'm so and so, a medical student."

OSUdoc08 said:
I always greet new patients with Mr/Mrs.

I always greet patients I have previously met with their first name. This is appropriate since I introduce myself with my first name, and expect them to call me by it.

Why does it become appropriate for you to choose not to use a respectful moniker for your patients just because you've chosen not to request that they do the same? If the patient would prefer to be called Mr./Ms./Mrs., that's what they should be called regardless of your own preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
MattD said:
Why does it become appropriate for you to choose not to use a respectful moniker for your patients just because you've chosen not to request that they do the same? If the patient would prefer to be called Mr./Ms./Mrs., that's what they should be called regardless of your own preference.

Obviously if they are the age of my parent or older, I'll refer to them appropriately.

I'm not going to call a 19 year old girl Ms. Smith.

Personally I always use both first and last names for the patients just to make sure I have the right chart/am in the right room. Even the older patients don't seem to find using both names offensive.

I generally don't say their name again.

OSUdoc08 said:
Obviously if they are the age of my parent or older, I'll refer to them appropriately.

I'm not going to call a 19 year old girl Ms. Smith.

Why not?

Well, for one, most people 20 and under find it very awkward being called Mr or Ms. It's not always straight-forward. I usually use the last name for anyone 16 or older, then ask them what they prefer to be called. I think 99% of older teens/younger adults would prefer their first name, but I give them the control over that as a sign of respect. Even to a kid. Or that patient that is probably drug seeking and is annoying the he11 out of you by having a mysterious leg pain that only comes on when he knows he's being watched. Or the psych patient who thinks you are in cahoots with the NSA, but that the aliens will prove to everyone through the satellite dishes that she is the messiah.

Nerdoscience said:
Well, for one, most people 20 and under find it very awkward being called Mr or Ms. It's not always straight-forward. I usually use the last name for anyone 16 or older, then ask them what they prefer to be called. I think 99% of older teens/younger adults would prefer their first name, but I give them the control over that as a sign of respect. Even to a kid. Or that patient that is probably drug seeking and is annoying the he11 out of you by having a mysterious leg pain that only comes on when he knows he's being watched. Or the psych patient who thinks you are in cahoots with the NSA, but that the aliens will prove to everyone through the satellite dishes that she is the messiah.

I agree, most of the young ones don't want that. But you're right, IMO, to give them the control. Especially on first introduction, a patient should be called Mr. or Mrs., it's just respectful. I think the exception for me would only be in a truly young child, like <10 y/o, who just wouldn't understand being spoken to that way. I'll have to experiment with that next time I'm in a peds setting, see how it goes.....

You are right. For those of you new to rotations, you should do it by the book and call your patients by their formal names. It is more respectful in the long run lest you accidently offend one of your elderly patients. I have developed my own style that people are comfortable with but that doesn't necessarily mean it's right, especially for everyone else. Just be sure to let the patient know that you are indeed a medical student and all shall be well. :cool:

Sorry for semi-derailing the thread :laugh:

Much love,
The Richie

By the time you reach your third year, you will have more important things to worry about than how you introduce yourself. Later, as a resident your coat will read MD. PH.d.

Richie Truxillo said:
"Good morning <patient first name here>!

Patients first name??

No....

When you are a third year, chances are good that you will in no way want your patients to think of you as a doctor, but a student doctor. You will shy away from creating any confusion and make sure they realize that the buck does not stop with you. By the time you have enough confidence to feel the (clinical) term "Doctor" can be applied to you, you will have your MD and it won't matter.

Someone with a PhD but is not on faculty and is not retired should lose his/her right to be called Doctor. This rule includes medical students with PhDs. What attending would ever refer to a PhD med student as Doctor anyway?

Someone with a PhD but is not on faculty and is not retired should lose his/her right to be called Doctor. This rule includes medical students with PhDs. What attending would ever refer to a PhD med student as Doctor anyway?

Whoa, the "lose the right" part is bringing us back to the beginning of this whole thing... Let me make myself clear on my opinion. I don't think you can tell someone who has earned a doctorate that they cannot call themselves a doctor. But if a med student insists on being called Dr. so-and-so by patients, they are probably a pompous jackass. Perhaps a perusal of the rest of this thread will give you some insight on that.

I can't believe this thread is still going. :rolleyes:

Just say, "Hi, my name is First name Last name, I am a XX year medical student." Enough said.