Introduction and My Plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NumberMunchers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

The past week I've been thinking about becoming a doctor (again) and found this wonderful site! I'd like introduce myself, tell you about my plan, and with any luck get some feedback on it.

I majored in statistics, took all of my pre-med classes, graduated in 2007. Got an M.S. in biostatistics right after that which I finished in 2008. During that year I applied to several med school but did not get interviews for any of them. 3.5 undergrad, 3.7 grad GPA, good MCAT score, mediocre biology grades (B, B-, C, B).

Started work right after as a statistical programmer for the VA clinical trials program. No patient contact, no publications. Did that for almost two years, now I'm working at a place that trains EMTs, paramedics, and LVNs.

Activities: Rotary, on the board of two non-profits, chair of a city commission, ran for city council (didn't win), and community emergency response team volunteer and trainer.

My plan:

• Get a full-time position as an EMT (I have a license)
  • Find a medical office or hospital to shadow/volunteer at
  • Take a year of biology at my CC
  • Possibly take a year of anatomy/physio and/or Spanish at my CC
  • Take the MCAT late 2011/early 2012
  • Apply in 2012

I have a couple of questions:

• How helpful is taking Spanish (I can only complete a year before primaries)
  • How about working as an EMT?
  • I've heard mixed feedback about retaking biology. I'm thinking of doing it to demonstrated that I'm still academically sharp and to show improvement
I'd appreciate any help or feedback. Feel free to ask me for any details I left out. I want to make sure I have a tight of a plan as possible before I commit the next few years to it. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
-knowing spanish will become helpful when you do clinical rotations and residency. but as far as putting it down in your resume/application for med school, its not going to make any difference. (plus, it doesn't have to necessary be spanish. if you know french (or any other foreign language) for example, it's the same thing). but nevertheless spanish speaking med students are welcomed as it is right now in my class.
-having an EMT license is a plus. working as an EMT either part time or full time will be even better. your experience as an EMT far exceeds compared to being a volunteer at a hospital/clinic (although it's best to have some volunteer experience at these places which you did mention that you plan on doing so thats great!
-if you plan on pursuing a special masters program or post-bac in bio then retaking bio classes is unnecessary. but even if you don't plan on taking masters/post-bac, the best way to show that you're sharp on bio is through your mcat. i don't know your mcat score for bio section but if it's above 10 and beyond then i say you're good.

Thanks for your comments!

-if you plan on pursuing a special masters program or post-bac in bio then retaking bio classes is unnecessary. but even if you don't plan on taking masters/post-bac, the best way to show that you're sharp on bio is through your mcat. i don't know your mcat score for bio section but if it's above 10 and beyond then i say you're good.

I was thinking of doing a DIY post-bac with the classes I listed above at my CC. I did well on my MCAT bio (10+) but I want to make sure my application is airtight and I'll have to retake it because my last sitting is too old now. Plus, I can brush up on the science I'm not a big fan of =)

Is there anything else I can do to enhance my pre-med experience?

Another question: I didn't post this originally but I figured what the heck. As I mentioned above I ran for city council last year. If I run again next year I think I have a good shot of winning. If I do run and win it will push my application to 2015 (instead of 2012). The biggest question of what I want for my life is something only I can answer, but can you guys help me answer this: how valuable will being a city council member (and possibly mayor) on an app?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your comments!

I was thinking of doing a DIY post-bac with the classes I listed above at my CC. I did well on my MCAT bio (10+) but I want to make sure my application is airtight and I'll have to retake it because my last sitting is too old now. Plus, I can brush up on the science I'm not a big fan of =)

Is there anything else I can do to enhance my pre-med experience?

Another question: I didn't post this originally but I figured what the heck. As I mentioned above I ran for city council last year. If I run again next year I think I have a good shot of winning. If I do run and win it will push my application to 2015 (instead of 2012). The biggest question of what I want for my life is something only I can answer, but can you guys help me answer this: how valuable will being a city council member (and possibly mayor) on an app?

If running for city council is something you REALLY want to do, not for medical school, but for personal growth/experience, then I think it is a great option. You can EASILY get into medical school without doing it if all other parts of your application are decent, but yes it will be a very "above and beyond" point for a medical school application. Just remember it will push you back 3 years... If you want to run for public office now will probably be one of the best times in your life to do so. Only you can really answer this question. Please don't live your life by doing everything just to get into medical school... you might find it doesn't bring you the happiness that you so believed it would.

I would think that knowing Spanish would be helpful if you plan on practicing in an inner city area or somewhere else where a Spanish population is concentrated- but knowing it is not required or like Richard said not something that is going to make a huge difference.